M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have built several full size AR rifles, and am now trying my hand with a pistol version. I have the lower done, and starting on the upper. My question is whether I can put a forward grip on a 7.5" or 10" barrel pistol. I think I have heard or read somehwere that it is forbidden, but not sure, and can't imagine why that would be. Any help?

·
Registered
108 Posts
NFA law says:

(e) Any other weapon. The term 'any other weapon' means any weapon or
device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.

You could IF you registered it as an AOW weapon.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
While you CANNOT put a forward grip on your AR style pistol, you can put a loop-strap on to aid in stability. Believe it or not, this does make a great amount of difference in controlling the pistol in rapid fire and aids in accuracy.

We used a sling mount on the rail and about 18" of an old M-16 'silent sling' to find out where and how tight to make the loop before sewing it (no buckle to rattle). Works quite well.

·
Honorable Discharge
638 Posts
While you CANNOT put a forward grip on your AR style pistol.
Half-correct. You cannot put a VERTICAL forward grip on one. You can however put an ANGLED forward grip on one.

The ATF has already responded and said the Magpul AFG is good to go on AR-pistols.

*edit*

Found the photocopy of the BATFE reply:

·
Registered
66 Posts
NFA law says:

(e) Any other weapon. The term 'any other weapon' means any weapon or
device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition.

You could IF you registered it as an AOW weapon.

Where here does it say no forward grip?

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I have built several full size AR rifles, and am now trying my hand with a pistol version. I have the lower done, and starting on the upper. My question is whether I can put a forward grip on a 7.5" or 10" barrel pistol. I think I have heard or read somehwere that it is forbidden, but not sure, and can't imagine why that would be. Any help?
I don't know, but if I worked for the BATFE I think I'd try to locate some authority on whether a "short-barreled rifle" has to be shoulder-fired. How do they treat a short-barreled shotgun with only a pistol grip that can be easily-modified to fire from the shoulder? I'm thinking about the old U.S. v. Miller case (1939) that's still on the books after Heller and McDonald. AOW, in my view, would be too nebulous for a lot of U.S. Attorneys' offices to get their arms around at the courthouse.

·
Registered
896 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.