M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Range report to come. Hopefully next week.
No rush. It has been near 100F for the last month and too dang hot to go shooting! That is a great looking build! Wilson Combat is about an hour from my house. My son picked up a 300BLK AR from them a couple of years ago and they are a first class company.

Thanks for the post.

Reactions: Kopper

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am assembling a LR-308 and using a Toolcraft BCG. It is setup enough to check feed and eject. Come to find out the extractor has a tiny spring inside the main spring which has an o-ring over it. The tiny spring was removed and unless the rifle has extraction issues the tiny spring stays out. The larger problem with the Toolcraft was the incredibly stiff ejector plunger. I removed the ejector plunger and the spring looked like it was hammered flat and wide on both ends. I beveled the spring ends on a bench grinder and polished it and the plunger. Cleaned the bore and used some good lube for reassembly, the plunger feels the way it should. When manually cycling it chambers right and ejects rounds very well. I suggest checking the Toolcraft for the same issues.

BTW...Very nice build, Armalite style. .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Even a cross reference chart would be extremely handy.

Like the rest of you, I've been pondering a .308 AR platform, but come to a screeching halt because of all the "Proprietary" components on the uppers, and lowers.

DPMS now has a Gen II out (ironically appears to be a front runner - Tier I rifle, given that their 5.56 rifles are considered crap) which IIRC is incompatible with their Gen I - kind of stirs the confusion pot a little.

I think that we can agree that we want to see a standardized universal spec for the LPK, FCG, BCG, Charging handle, Barrel nut thread, Barrel Extension, and Mags. Rail compatibility comes down to low profile or high profile. At least they all use the same RE.

I suspect a lot of this comes down to the Mil does not have an AR-308 that they use - ergo no basic Mil Spec to go by from the manufacturer aspect, and gods forbid the top manufacturer's R&D departments get together and come to an agreement.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts

Like the rest of you, I've been pondering a .308 AR platform, but come to a screeching halt because of all the "Proprietary" components on the uppers, and lowers.

DPMS now has a Gen II out (ironically appears to be a front runner - Tier I rifle, given that their 5.56 rifles are considered crap) which IIRC is incompatible with their Gen I - kind of stirs the confusion pot a little.

I think that we can agree that we want to see a standardized universal spec for the LPK, FCG, BCG, Charging handle, Barrel nut thread, Barrel Extension, and Mags. Rail compatibility comes down to low profile or high profile. At least they all use the same RE.

I suspect a lot of this comes down to the Mil does not have an AR-308 that they use - ergo no basic Mil Spec to go by from the manufacturer aspect, and gods forbid the top manufacturer's R&D departments get together and come to an agreement.
Yes a cross reference chart would be great. Certainly the worst part of a build is confirming that the parts will work together. They can be pretty finicky to get working well, so if you're looking to just have one on hand, I'd recommend picking up one that's already built. Like an ADM, Daniel Defense, etc. Or KAC if you're looking to be spendy😂

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
For anyone interested in a .308 AR-10, if properly built with the proper ammo, they can be good performers at long range (a surprise to me, as well as the author of the thread) -

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

Like the rest of you, I've been pondering a .308 AR platform, but come to a screeching halt because of all the "Proprietary" components on the uppers, and lowers...

Yes a cross reference chart would be great. Certainly the worst part of a build is confirming that the parts will work together.
Agreed... I've mulled buying/building an AR in 7.62x51 for decades, but haven't done it for these reasons.

I'm cautiously optimistic that SIG's M5/MCX will spawn clones, and at least some of them in .308. (I'm not bothering with .277 Fury.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts