M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,

Due to my age, I need to get a scope on both my AR & my M1A.

Going to start with the AR & then look for a good mount & scope for the M1A.

I'll be using the Ar for mostly punching paper & maybe a prairie dog hunting as a back up to my 22-250.

So most of the time it will be punching holes from 100 yards to 200 yards. Let me know what size & what power I'll need to use to see targets that far & maybe to 275 yards.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Do you want to see the target or see the holes in the target? Huge difference. For that range a 1-4X or 1.5-5X would do if you want to see the target. If you want to see the holes then you'd probably want double that or more. With my scope at 10X I can usually tell where I hit a steel plate out to 600/700 yards but that's mostly thanks to good glass.

What's your budget? Hate to recommend a NightForce when you only want to pay for a Barska.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you want to see the target or see the holes in the target? Huge difference. For that range a 1-4X or 1.5-5X would do if you want to see the target. If you want to see the holes then you'd probably want double that or more. With my scope at 10X I can usually tell where I hit a steel plate out to 600/700 yards but that's mostly thanks to good glass.

What's your budget? Hate to recommend a NightForce when you only want to pay for a Barska.

Their lies the rub as they say, the budget is low do to the fact that I haven't worked in over 2 years. Computer job sent overseas!

Started shoot again to kill the stress & now I can't see the target, so the stress is still there!

Trying to keep it around $200 or less, had a friend point one out at Midway that is on sale for $125, but it's a 9x20 with a 50mm lens. I think it will be overkill & might be a close fit on an AR.

Anyone dealt with Opticsplanet.com?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I feel your pain, also out of work for over two years, no joy.

I've dealt with optics planet a few times, call to be sure what you want is in stock, same with SWFA.

I have no first hand experience but I've heard good things about Vortex, Millet, Falcon and Nikon for scopes on a budget.

·
Registered
185 Posts
...I need to get a scope on...the Ar for mostly punching paper & maybe a prairie dog hunting...from 100 yards to 200 yards...& maybe to 275 yards...Trying to keep it around $200 or less
I agree with NoExpert.

For an AR15 at the ranges you are shooting, a good 1-4x should suit your needs...although, for sub-$200, you are not going to find a quality piece of equipment.

If you can you possibly extend your budget to around $300, then there are several higher quality, low-powered optics options available to you:

The Burris TAC 30 appears to have good reviews, and I think that it is made in USA. It retails for right around $300. If you are hunting prairie dogs, and color is important to you, then there is also an exclusive tan anodized version available from Midway.

Nikon offers their M223 for around $260.

Also in that price range, you could get a Leupold Mk AR or a Vari-X II for just under $300.

I would recommend that you AVOID the Millet DMS-1, even though it is is well withing your budget, and you might be tempted to choose it. I had one once and it did not last for more the a few hundred rounds before it started to self destruct.

All of my examples were from Midway, as that is where is buy a good bit of gear from. I like that they clearly display whether or not an item is in stock. Also, they have fair pricing and great customer service. Shipping has always been very prompt, as well.

I have only purchased from Optics Planet once.

I needed an, obscure, niche-specific Safariland holster that I found impossible to locate elsewhere. Optics Planet was the ONLY online retailer that I contacted who was even willing to consider special ordering the holster for me. I had to wait two weeks to get the holster, but it was worth it.

Optics Planet's prices are very competitive, and they have a massive inventory and selection, but as previously stated, you will definitely need to contact them by telephone before ordering to confirm stock availability.

I would recommend Optics Planet without reservation.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
4track knows his scopes and setups so heed his advice. You definitely open up the scope quality if you can squeeze an extra $100 for the budget. I know, easy to say but in your shoes not easy to do.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Their are clearance sales in the Bushnell 3200 and 4200 line right now. You can get the 3200 10x model with mildot for $150, this would be a great scope for the intended purpose. 10x can be alittle too much at 100yds but I never thought it hindered my shooting. Also the Nikon m-223 scopes are reasonably priced as well. I would want good magnification if varmint hunting, those guys can be tricky to spot.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Kalinka optics has a nice 1.5-4.5x20 SFP scope for -$200. Worth a look IMB.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'd prefer a higher quality used scope over a POJ new one.

For that I'd look at arfcom or sniper's hide, or the sample list at SWFA.

I don't think you could go wrong with a used Leupold VXII or III, and I think you could pick one up for 200ish. Maybe something in the 3-9, 3.5-10, or 4-12 range.

I'm running a VXIII 3.5-10 on a 16" AR right now, and I'm digging it; it's a nice alternative to irons or red dots for crows, coyotes and such.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
+1 to what the others said.

Started shoot again to kill the stress & now I can't see the target, so the stress is still there!
If you're trying to relieve stress, then dealing with a crappy/cheap scope is NOT going to help!

Beware especially scopes with absurdly big magnification numbers and absurdly low prices... these may look good when you're showing them to your brother-in-law, but they tend to be worse than useless for actual shooting.

In my experience there's a REALLY good cost/benefit return for putting more money into a scope below $250 and $300 — you get at least what you pay for.

So, for example, a $100 scope isn't just twice as good as a $50 scope, it's probably several times as good.

And a $200 scope is easily twice as good as a $100 scope.

And a $300 scope is probably at least half again as good as a $200 scope.

So, if you can pay $200-$300, then that would be MUCH better than any cheap $100 scope.

·
Registered
362 Posts
AR scope

All good advice above. I just recently got the Nikon M223,
for my RRA M-4 flat-top, good price and a fine clear scope.
"T"

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
T11b;658126I just recently got the Nikon M223... [/QUOTE said:
Which one?

Am I wrong to think that these "M-223" Nikons are simply Monarchs with different reticles and bigger knobs? (Not that that's a bad thing.)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have a Burris 2-7 x 32 Fullfield II on my Noveske AR15
with a Burris AR-PERP on my flat top, it's aluminum. You can get these in 1" & 30mm. Look at SWFA. I got mine for $80.00/shipped and it provides the eye relief & is a one-piece unit. Looks real good as well, kinda exotic. It's a good tough mount. As for the scope I got it off Ebay from this guy, A1Bargains. He as some killer pricing. If you go to ebay & search in Hunting for "burris fullfield" you'll see some great prices within your budget. I have set this scope once, have dismounted it & remounted it & has returned to zero exactly for 100 yrds.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find a decent scope for not too much over your budget; for example, I've been using the Millet DMS-1 (1-4 x 24mm) on an AR for years now and it's been just fine (contrary to a previous response). I think these go for a bit over $200.

Problem is that a good mount will cost that much. I suggest a really good quality mount that you can continue to use as eventually you'll upgrade the scope (that's been my experience anyway). I've been using the GG&G integrated 30mm riser/ring combos and have 4 of them. Very well made in the US and occasionally they have them on sale.

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=166&parents=69,128

Good luck with your project.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

Hi Bimmer! Well good question.....................depending on the particular scope and shooter, it may work fine with rings alone. In my experience, to get the combination of good cheek weld and eye relief with the scopes I've used, the combination riser/rings worked out best.

I'd tried some different height rings some years ago and from what I recall one of the two components ended up not being able to be optimized. I messed around quite a bit trying to get the best height for cheek weld and good eye relief at the same time and was not able to do this with rings alone. Once I got that worked out, I just stuck with it for my subsequent AR builds.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sometimes the scope is too long to be mounted far enough forward to get proper eye relief, so a mount that throws the scope forward is required.

I've been able to get by without one so far, but I'm right on the edge of needing more nose room, and I'm running mid sized scopes with generous eye relief on my ARs.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I messed around quite a bit trying to get the best height for cheek weld and good eye relief at the same time and was not able to do this with rings alone.
Aha. This makes sense.

I wonder: would it be better from a cost/simplicity standpoint to use a railed free-float handguard and extra-tall rings?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

Hi Bimmer!

Well, that's exactly how I came upon my particular solution..............trying extended rails, different height rings, etc. till it drove me nuts. I don't recall exactly, but think a friend must have suggested the combination device. Once I got it set up, I never looked back. Of course, it's pricey (I'm sure there are less expensive versions to be had from other vendors) but for me it saved a lot of time and hassle.

I have a big pile of useless rings, rails and such in the parts drawer from my previous experiments. Guess I'd have saved money in the long run by going to the combo in the first place; that's pretty much what I wanted to pass on to the OP. Over the years, I've upgraded the scopes (particularly when I find a good deal on something used), but the mount has remained consistent.

Regards, Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts