M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know little on AR's M4's and such. I have been doing research on the internet about them to gain knowdege.

I have though about building a M4 pieces at a time so its easier on the wallet :D

My question is if I were to buy a "complete lower" and a "complete upper"
is that all I need to make a complete gun, or will I need other small parts to put it together?

Also Is there fitment problems between diffrent brands of uppers and lowers?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Super Six One,
Feb 19-20 Mpls. Convention Center Show. I'm sure DPMS will be there. You can talk to them about your needs. It will also give you a chance to see the different configurations in uppers that they have.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I think you need to find out about the receiver pins. If i remember correctly, the SP1's and Sporter's had a screw that attached the front of the lower to the upper.
Now with the post ban's there is a push pin. I'm not familiar with the sizing but it may be an issue with different manufacturers. The Colt M4 Carbine, has the pins. Again it is a post ban.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Get a few grains of salt and head on over to arf.com (probably need about a lb).

No offence to Oxmix, but I’d stay far, far away from DPMS. I’ve got a completely biased point of view as the rifle they sold to a friend of mine and me were both pieces of junk and DPMS wouldn’t do anything about them. I’ve head of other folks having good weapons from them, but I’ve also heard of a lot of people having big time trouble with DPMS. As objective as I can get about it (time for a grain of salt) it seems that their product is a gamble, maybe 50/50.

I think that Colt has about the best parts in a gun out there, but they will cut big corners on some things (plastic buffer) and their customer service is nonexistent. It also seems like Colt has gone out of it’s way to never help the civilian shooters. I’ve got a bunch of Colts and a bunch of Bushmasters. Bang for the buck, I’d go with Bushmaster; a very decent quality product at reasonable prices. You can call and talk to their staff, order parts if needed and their weapons seem to hold up well; I’ve got over 9000 rounds through one of my Bushies. I’ve also heard good things about Armalite and Rock River. My sister has an Armalite and really likes it, it’s been a good rifle for her.

If you’re just looking to get into a decent arf to take out and blast away with, I’d be looking at Bushmaster. You should be able to pick up a complete lower receiver assembly for $300-$350 and then at a later date, a complete upper receiver assembly for between $550-$650. No real assembly required, just snap the two receivers together.

One word of caution, these things are very addictive; I’m working on number 18.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
TB said:
Get a few grains of salt and head on over to arf.com (probably need about a lb).

One word of caution, these things are very addictive; I’m working on number 18.

8O Dang 18, here I am trying to justify, rules of three to the Mrs. :D
I have three of everything in my colletion. I figure that way if one has to be sent to the smith, I still have another set up basicly the same, and still another that is backup! Don't havta keep as many spare parts around this way.
Shadow

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Once you have a lower you can buy different uppers to suit your shooting fancy. Standard military config, flat top, shorty, H-Bar, etc.

Regards

Ox

·
Registered
611 Posts
TB said:
Yeh, but then those extra uppers look so lonely sitting there without lowers, so you get a few of those, then some more uppers, then…
Good grief, TB! 8O
AWESOME!

I have a nice-n-lonely Colt 1x7 20-inch upper who was removed to make room for the 16" M4gery on his former lower receiver. So this means I'll just HAVE to get a complete lower for him to feel OK again... ;)

Spike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.