M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently test fired my project AR pistol and I am having a couple of problems I would like to run by you guys to get an opinion of. I have tried three different magazines (G3 Pmag, USGI new pattern, MSIE Poly mag) and the only mag that is feeding reliably is the MSIE mag that comes from a company that builds US AUG clones.

The main problem is failure to feed after the first round, the magazines will not seat correctly after the first round, and the magazine will not seat with the BCG forward without tap/tug to make it secure.

I have been considering changing the buffer to a Heavy buffer and adjust the magazine release to make it more secure. My BCG is a Daniel Defense, the barrel is a Colt, the upper receiver is an Anderson that came from Cerro Forge.

I could use some input on what is going on.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
not an ar pistol guy but sounds like you have a lot of variables. of course i would make one change at a time and if it doesn't work then put it back the way it was before making another. from what i know the buffer and gas system are the main issues with ar pistols. so it is a ftf and not fte problem?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Having to tap the magazine to seat it on a closed bolt is normal.

If you have to assist the bolt forward I would think buffer and spring. I run an H2 buffer in my pistol with a normal carbine spring on a pistol tube.

Who made the lower? Do your mags seat and drop freely when the bolt is locked back?

On my lowers, I set the mag catch tension by adjusting the screw to be just under flush with the release button.

What do you mean by "the magazines will not seat correctly after the first round"?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having to tap the magazine to seat it on a closed bolt is normal.

If you have to assist the bolt forward I would think buffer and spring. I run an H2 buffer in my pistol with a normal carbine spring on a pistol tube.

Who made the lower? Do your mags seat and drop freely when the bolt is locked back?

On my lowers, I set the mag catch tension by adjusting the screw to be just under flush with the release button.

What do you mean by "the magazines will not seat correctly after the first round"?
The lower is a Spike's Tactical lower. I am thinking that the magazine not seating correctly and after the first round, kinda wants to go low and not strip the second round. The magazines drop freely with an open bolt but not lock into place with the bolt forward.

I am thinking my next day off I will do more testing with an H buffer from my SBR and increase the tension on the mag release a little and see what happens. I will continue to look for more suggestions. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have an 11 1/2 Colt upper on an Anderson lower and mine works great with Pmags or GI mags.
Runs steel cased ammo just fine as well.
Failure to feed and not being able to insert a mag on a closed bolt sounds like a magazine issue.
Could be the mag catch isn't installed correctly.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I vote Mag Catch; Installation or some possible error in the lower machining.
I pretty much built the lower myself so I will be trying out the tightening of the mag release I did last night. With the bolt open I tried the mags first for fit and after they are secured, they fell out with the release button. The mags are brand new with no problems and work perfectly in my SBR. I will have to experiment some more next Sunday.

It will be a matter of time until I get this up an running 100% on the range. I am getting ejection and extraction out of the gun, so I know it is working at least 90% functional. I just have to work out the bugs when I can.

Thanks guys again.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem Solved

I test fired my pistol again after adding an H2 buffer and I switched out the mag release for an ambi-mag release. It all works 100% and I might be switching out the DPMS rear sight for something else since the windage adjustment was a bit much for my tastes. It is at least secured well enough to not come loose.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I still have to get around to zeroing it some more. I have been busy with work, school and testing a modified pro-mag magazine for my 5.56 AK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.