M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Dont know about NJ, but its legal in most places I believe to place a legally owned rifle in checked luggage if certain criteria are met. In this case it sounds like the folks were attempting to conceal the fact there was a firearm in their luggage for reasons as yet unknown. Ammo is OK as well but must usually be kept separate from the firearm and depending on the source must now be in a separate checked and locked container.
Some years ago on my way to Africa with a rifle in an actual hard side rifle case, declared as such and taken thru customs, I had ammo in the case with the rifles and no one blinked. Glad I did too because I at least was able to hunt when I got there as our other luggage was delayed a couple of days on an already abbreviated trip due to airline issues, missed flights etc.
But as usual this article doesnt bother to mention that in most cases its legal to do if done properly. You dont just throw a rifle in a suitcase and try to sneak it onto an airplane. These idiots are even dumber than the McCloskeys!

·
Registered
10,735 Posts
The laws here in New Jersey are very confusing, especially when it comes to airports. At that point, FAA, TSA and Airline regulations also come into play.

The man was a NJ resident and that particular rifle and magazines are prohibited in this state. On top of that, he violated TSA regulations for flying with a firearm.

In order to even possess a firearm in NJ, of any sort, you need a Firearms Identification Card. These can be obtained thru your local PD, or the State Police in case of non-residents, after a background check. It is unclear yet if the suspect had one.

You can technically catch a connecting flight thru NJ or NYC with a firearm, as long as you never take possession of your checked baggage. There have been horror stories of travels who have a flight cancellation and are forced to spend the night at a NJ hotel, being arrested when they take possession of their luggage.

Loaded magazines are a definite no-no. There was an incident a few years ago where a traveler picked up his luggage at a Florida Airport carousel and immediately began shooting people inside the terminal.

·
Premium Member
Token Libtard
302 Posts
Seems like if someone is trying to sneak a firearm through a process which is normally legal, they may be up to no good. At the very least, they can't be that smart since they didn't think that an x-ray wouldn't catch it.

·
Registered
10,735 Posts
I hope they investigate the various air and ground crews. Maybe could be an attempt to get to the rifle in the air or something.
This is the same airport that they took off from on 9/11. They are going to investigate everyone this guy has ever had contact with. They've indicated that he has an East Orange address, which is next to Newark Airport. They have not released his identity yet (that I know of).

·
Registered
331 Posts
A few sarcastic (though factual) thoughts:

Pretty wienie Yahoo article - i.e. this article addressed:

The ever-so-deadly assault rifle - whatever that is...

The ever-so-deadly high capacity magazine - whatever that is (plus three other mags that weren't identified)

The ever-so-deadly four boxes of hollow point bullets - so, was the passenger a reloader?

If it is a rifle (and not a pistol with a brace) it would be an SBR and as such newsworthy because of applicable federal regs for SBRs.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
905 Posts
In the one picture that I have seen, the displayed firearm appears to have a pistol length barrel and a pistol style tube. The one story I have read identifies the gun as an assault rifle. I am thinking that this is actually an AR pistol. If so, the press has gotten it wrong again.

I thought a firearm could be shipped in checked luggage too. It has to be identified as such at check-ion, the bag has to be marked and it has to be a lockable hard shell case. There must be other regs . . .I have never done it myself.

·
Registered
10,735 Posts
AR pistols are illegal in NJ. So are magazines over 10 rounds. Hollow point bullets are technically illegal, but allowances are made for range use.

I'm sure DHS is still interrogating them, to see if there were any terror motives.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We had a officer fly out of a smaller airport up here (ME), and brought an AR down to VA in one of those guitar looking rifle cases. Declared it, and when he was in the terminal, he was asked to meet security. Supposedly, it was not mentioned to TSA, and they tried to say he didn’t declare it. Local L/E started talking to him, and once they realized who he was and that he had a listing for the case in his pocket that he showed the agent when checking it... they said have a nice flight.

I flew out of another airport about a month later, and TSA brought it up as I was waiting for a supervisor to sign me through (was flying armed). They got like eight musters over it, and the guy I was talking to wanted to know if it was me.

That being said, checking an AR pistol in luggage that may even transit through NJ is a little concerning... especially after living there. Not liking going to turn out well for the person, but TSA is also not the greatest agency out there. When I did my Flying Armed training, the CBP Officer giving it said make sure you do not walk into a metal detector or body scanner when carrying. They get their jollies off “finding” a gun... even if you are L/E and justified to have it where you are at. Seeing them in training compared to other agencies, you just get to laugh.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
You know wam14gunner you can keep calling the McCloskeys dumb and stupid but when Burn loot murder shows up at your house and threatens to kill your dog and rape your wife just coward inside and call the police. They wont show. You know that old saying when you need the police there only minutes away.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I wonder if this was a staged undercover event? To test TSA but also to allow media coverage of it.

I don't know. It seems too easy of a test for TSA screeners. But I figured criminals would also be 'smarter' than to try that.

So leftist media stunt. Or Leftist municipal leader using undercover agents they did not yet defund to "Try something" for media coverage to support stricter gun controls.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
905 Posts
I understood that the McCluskies HAD called 811 and were told that no le would be dispatched. So what DO you do then? In Massachusetts and other states, the law requires a threatened homeowner to retreat behind a closed door.

Not so in Missouri, Texas, Florida . .

That they were naïve, inexperience and untrained is beside the point.

Their expertise is in defending the accused in court. i think they are equipped for that.

·
Registered
10,735 Posts
Their expertise is in defending the accused in court. i think they are equipped for that.
No, it isn't. They are both personal injury lawyers. They have already stated in TV interviews that they aren't knowledgeable in criminal law.

This thread is about the AR15 in the luggage at Newark Airport. :unsure:

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
No, it isn't. They are both personal injury lawyers. They have already stated in TV interviews that they aren't knowledgeable in criminal law.

This thread is about the AR15 in the luggage at Newark Airport. :unsure:
The reason they were brought up was because wam14gunner threw that smerk comment about them in the OP.

Reactions: KurtC

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The reason they were brought up was because wam14gunner threw that smerk comment about them in the OP.
You mean snark? Well, being this is my thread, yeah I did. And yes I do believe they are stupid. Ask any cop anywhere and they will tell you that you can defend yourself in your home almost without question, but outside is another whole can of worms unless under direct physical attack. They were not, they were just being stupid. I hope they get off or have charges dropped, but if not they have no one to blame but themselves. Problem with fools like them is it just fuels the notion that all gun owners are nothing but gun waving morons.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
You mean snark? Well, being this is my thread, yeah I did. And yes I do believe they are stupid. Ask any cop anywhere and they will tell you that you can defend yourself in your home almost without question, but outside is another whole can of worms unless under direct physical attack. They were not, they were just being stupid. I hope they get off or have charges dropped, but if not they have no one to blame but themselves. Problem with fools like them is it just fuels the notion that all gun owners are nothing but gun waving morons.
Ask any cop how bought i look no further then the second amendment in the constitution.

The Burn loot murder thugs were trespassing on private property AND tore down the gate at the entrance to the community then they said to that man they were going to rape his wife and kill his dog and being living in his house. That is a threat.
He called 911 and no one showed. By all means stay in your house and suck your thumb when they show up at your place. But when they come to mine and many other gun owners owners were going have a pair and walk outside and exercise that god given second amendment right.

The gun community is its own worst enemy by not supporting there fellow gun owners like the McCloskeys.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,202 Posts
Missouri Castle Doctrine
"Missouri recognizes the "castle doctrine" and allows residents to use force against intruders, without the duty to retreat, based on the notion that your home is your "castle." This legal doctrine assumes that if an invader disrupts the sanctity of your home, they intend to do you harm and therefore you should be able to repel their advances". Source - Find Law legal site

When burn/loot/murder 1. tore down the gate 2. expressed verbal threats to kill, they intended to do harm and created conditions that "disrupts the sanctity of" the McClosky's home . Meets the definition for exercising Castle Doctrine, end of story. To add, I believe that Missouri law recognizes property to include land outside, not just from your front door inward, but I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the end of the world.
All the criticism of how they were holding guns is moot, if my life was being threatened I might be pointing my gun in the threat's direction as well.
m14brian

1 - 20 of 27 Posts