M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new AR 5.56 rifle never fired!!!
I was cleaning the barrel before I went to the range to pop her Cherie. Using one piece rod with a Jag and patch. there is something that catches near the gas port inside the barrel it seams like there is a spur or something. I have many rifles (M1a, SKS, 10/22, gas guns) and have never felt anything like it not huge snag but there. This in not a chrome lined barrel and all my other rifles have chrome lining. Is there something to be concerned with? Should I shoot it? It is guaranteed 1 moa so if it don't shoot I can return.
Please Advise /
Bob K OUT

·
Registered
966 Posts
It sounds like you have a burr from when gas port was bored into the barrel. I would contact the manufacturer for thier reply. The proper response from the manufacturer should be send it to us for inspection and repair.

It is not easy to say if it is safe or not without seeing the rifle.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maby not a bur but a bump

I have a call in to the Manufacture.

It is not a snag really but a bump when I go past/over the spot. I can See the spot from the muzel end. Should I be able to feal aneything as the patch passes past it?

Bob K DI5 OUT

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
I haven't seen a bump on any of mine but several AR15 barrels have arrived with small pieces of metal sticking down into the bore at the gas port (burrs if you like).

I use a brass cleaning rod to push them first one way and then the other to remove them. Only takes a couple of pushes if you can get on them real solid. No issues after that.

Seen them in chrome and non-chrome lined barrels. Only in AR15 barrels though. Oops!! Probably because all my M1's were well used and GI spec.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts