I would branch them into:
- really helpful upgrades (aiming, power, maneuverability,...);
- upgrades that help you make a strong connection with the rifle;
- totally useless or stupidly expensive;

Some AR-15 Upgrades I consider useful: 1, 4, 8, 9, 11

·
Registered
501 Posts
I like the note about iron sights being a lost art in shooting. I completely agree. Every rifle needs some type of backup iron sight. All those high-tech mods wont mean anything if your primary optic fails or destroyed and you cant aim anymore.

·
Registered
815 Posts
While I consider all this very insightful in regard to the AR-15; I thought this was an m14/m1a forum??? Do I enjoy the exclusivity of this forum?? Yes, very much. If I want or desire info on an AR, I would go to that specific site. Thx. Rant over.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
While I consider all this very insightful in regard to the AR-15; I thought this was an m14/m1a forum??? Do I enjoy the exclusivity of this forum?? Yes, very much. If I want or desire info on an AR, I would go to that specific site. Thx. Rant over.
well then what are you doing in the AR15 section of this forum!!!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Good point Lefty.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Maybe he's like a lot of open minded shooting enthusiasts. Ya see...I can share info while liking and enjoying MANY types of firarms.

Maybe I'm just better at multi-tasking or somethin' but I KNOW I have the physical and mental capacity to NOT click on a thread where the subject header doesn't interest me a bit.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
this IS the ar 15 forum

still....

i think this is your average local prepper which can be either:
1. a dangerous psychpath who may torture you if he believes you are a federal agent or CI (which is why you should never join a prepper group)
2. just trying to sell dehydrated food, network marketing with range trips.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I enjoy the fact we have sub sections here that deal with other things. From handguns, to shotguns, geedunk, and many others. The quality of people here that share information that is helpful to the rest is a good thing. Lord knows when I need ar info, I don't want to have to go to "that site" to sift through the insults to get the gems of wisdom.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
It's not about upgrades but changing the rifle to fit the role you have in mind. Think about what you want to do with the rifle that it's not quite capable of now and then go in that direction.

Except this site isn't exclusive which is why there's a handgun forum, edged weapons, tinfoil prepper section, politics section, etc etc

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I do notice that adding a forward grip is not included. I fell into the forward grip add on craze a few years ago but rapidly came to the conclusion that it did little as a positive enhancement and just added weight and more complexity to my guns.

The only good thing that I can think of regarding the forward grip is that if the shooter has difficulty locating his or her grip position on the gun it does act as a reinforcement for the support hand placement.

On all my AR's I run at least BUIS, an enhanced pistol grip, a white light and a combat sling.

For my duty rifle and its backup I've added EOTECH's, Magpul BAD levers, Magpul collapsible buttstocks, Boonie Packer Redimags, Badger charging handles and YHM full float forearms.

The standard triggers work for me.

Reactions: ClaudeNelson

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
I would branch them into:
- really helpful upgrades (aiming, power, maneuverability,...);
- upgrades that help you make a strong connection with the rifle;
- totally useless or stupidly expensive;

Some AR-15 Upgrades I consider useful: 1, 4, 8, 9, 11
Rather than pimping your website, perhaps you might share some of your tips here? GI2

·
Registered
443 Posts
I would have added the forward grip to the list of upgrades. For many shooters not only is it more comfortable but allows the shooter to pull the rifle in to a better seating on the shoulder thus making the shooter more accurate. The other big benefit is that it can be used as a mono pod.

For those who don't believe adding a better trigger is any benefit then I'd say you haven't tried one. After I replaced my trigger my groups where cut in half.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am experimenting with a FailZero Bolt Group. I keep hearing how reliable and low maintenance the failzero bolt group is in an impingement rifle. The jury is not out yet on the failzero bolt as to whether it is a worthy upgrade.

I also have a piston rifle M4 by Bushmaster, circa 2007. I would recommend a piston kit upgrade as useful upgrade from a maintenance standpoint.

I did change out my trigger to a RRA two stage match trigger that is hard chromed. That was a nice improvement.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
For those who don't believe adding a better trigger is any benefit then I'd say you haven't tried one. After I replaced my trigger my groups where cut in half.
Doesn't really matter, my department doesn't allow any alteration of the issue trigger group. Those are my work tools, I'm free to do whatever I want with my personal toys.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
The link goes into quite a few major modifications, even build items. In my mind, the AR Match Rifle is on one end of the stick (which I won't get into now) and the M4forgery or GI clone A4 is on the other end (present subject). You'll get to really liking your rig when you get an optical sight and a magnifier that work well for you. I'm partial to EoT but there are many brands, and there are still conventional riflescopes. Check out carefully before you buy. The little Matech 600 yd rear sight is as good as any for BUIS purposes. Front grip for M4gery the little Magpul 2 screw handle locks down tight to in-spec picatinny rail, inexpensive. If you want a light, again there's a lot of variety and price range. Try before you buy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the note about iron sights being a lost art in shooting. I completely agree. Every rifle needs some type of backup iron sight. All those high-tech mods wont mean anything if your primary optic fails or destroyed and you cant aim anymore.
That's right. 6-7 months ago I went with my son to our shooting spot where he accidentally broke the scope. We had to took it off and spend some time teaching him to properly aim.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2jhlXnDdg8&list=PLcntGBoC7qwsqRoq_9oN5lIv9S6OxXju6[/ame]

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have found all other forums are not pleasant to be around. Just an added bonus. Especially the AR 15 dedicated ones

1 - 20 of 24 Posts