M14 Forum banner

AR-15 Jam Fix!

1097 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  charlie98
Hi,
Admittedly, never saw or heard of this, but...

Knowledge is good!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,763 Posts
Yes, the dreaded "Bullet Over Bolt" jam. It's an issue here in California where the Assault Weapon rules require a fixed magazine. Since you need to pull the pin and split the AR to drop the magazine, the BCG is caught in the receiver and can't be dropped. Usually requires the help of a second set of hands to clear in the fashion presented.

Good video for anyone that's never seen it or needs practice in clearing jams.

· Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,904 Posts
I would think you could pull the bolt back far enough to lock it back by hand and push the charging handle forwards and get the case out and if that does not work push both pin out and slide the upper forwards.

eQ

· Registered
3,763 Posts
Yes, sometimes it is easy to clear by locking back and pushing the CH forward. Other times the bolt only can go back 3/4.

Pulling the pins is another option and then dropping the magazine.

· Registered
923 Posts
Yes, the dreaded "Bullet Over Bolt" jam. It's an issue here in California where the Assault Weapon rules require a fixed magazine. Since you need to pull the pin and split the AR to drop the magazine, the BCG is caught in the receiver and can't be dropped.
If you live in California it is best to go with a pump action AR-15 so you can keep your detachable ten round magazines in my opinion. They sell pump action conversion kits and AR-15 rifles that are designed to be pump action.

I would either do that or go with a lever action rifle though those are less desirable unless it has a detachable magazine feature. I like detachable magazines as it makes for faster reloads.

· Registered
3,270 Posts
I actually had something similar happen to me in Army basic training, with my M16A1. I got a junk mag on the full-auto course, and the magazine puked it's rounds... and one got rammed above the bolt, between the gas tube and the upper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts