M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased 1000 rounds of Carl Gustav 5.56 ammo from AIM. Turns at it wasn't the best idea as it has not been working out too well. After shooting it the first time I noticed a sticky bolt when hand cycling it. Today, I shot it again, and had one failure to fire due to light primer strike.

After giving it a detail clean tonight, I found out why. Several primers had blown, and the resulting pieces ended up INSIDE the bolt, binding on the firing pin. During firing, the pin was able to punch through the pieces and set off the primers most of the time. Actually it was only that one time where it failed.

I don't want to get into an AR-15 vs M14 debate, because I will side with the 14 every time. I just want to say I was pleasantly surprised by the AR.

Although this rifle is a KAC SR-15e3, not exactly a run of the mill AR-15.

Reactions: tonyben

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Well you can't really blame a gun of any design if the Ammo is crap. Which BTW was the reason for the problems with the original AR-15. The Arsenal changed the loading without asking anyone to an entirely different type and burn rate of powder causing excessive carbon which........draws moisture and causes rust in the barrel and chamber.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
KAC makes good stuff, for sure.

·
Registered
236 Posts
That is actually relatively impressive. I've seen too many AR's go belly up for alot less than that!

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
The industry, and KAC is a leader, is turning out some real good AR's these days. Clean 'er up and get some different ammo, carry on.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I purchased 1000 rounds of Carl Gustav 5.56 ammo from AIM. Turns at it wasn't the best idea as it has not been working out too well. After shooting it the first time I noticed a sticky bolt when hand cycling it. Today, I shot it again, and had one failure to fire due to light primer strike.

After giving it a detail clean tonight, I found out why. Several primers had blown, and the resulting pieces ended up INSIDE the bolt, binding on the firing pin. During firing, the pin was able to punch through the pieces and set off the primers most of the time. Actually it was only that one time where it failed.

I don't want to get into an AR-15 vs M14 debate, because I will side with the 14 every time. I just want to say I was pleasantly surprised by the AR.

Although this rifle is a KAC SR-15e3, not exactly a run of the mill AR-15.
OP,
That is a bit disappointing to hear about the Carl Gustav (CG) ammo. CG makes the U.S. M995 5.56MM AP cartridge, U.S. M993 7.62MM AP cartridge, the explosive heads for the U.S. MK 211 MOD 0 HEIAP .50 cal Raufoss cartridge, and much more for DOD. Raufoss merged with CG which is now part of NAMMO Group.
I would fully expect a KAC 5.56MM rifle/carbine to be a very dependable tool. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OP,
That is a bit disappointing to hear about the Carl Gustav (CG) ammo. CG makes the U.S. M995 5.56MM AP cartridge, U.S. M993 7.62MM AP cartridge, the explosive heads for the U.S. MK 211 MOD 0 HEIAP .50 cal Raufoss cartridge, and much more for DOD. Raufoss merged with CG which is now part of NAMMO Group.
I would fully expect a KAC 5.56MM rifle/carbine to be a very dependable tool. Good luck with it.
Well I don't really see this as a quality issue. These rounds were probably built to a spec, and that spec may have just been a little on the hot side.

My vehicle read 105 degrees when I got to the range yesterday so that probably didn't help things.

The accuracy of the ammo was actually quite good.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Well I don't really see this as a quality issue. These rounds were probably built to a spec, and that spec may have just been a little on the hot side.

My vehicle read 105 degrees when I got to the range yesterday so that probably didn't help things.

U.S. mil-spec 5.56MM ammunition is normally manufactured with -65F to +165F test protocol & mil-spec pressure limit of 58,700 PSI. Some U.S. 5.56MM has an even higher thermal protocol due to closed bolt weapons reaching 400F in some instances. Lots of room for thermal variation. But I don't know CG's 5.56MM protocol. Might have been just a one-time occurrence. I see Brian knows: he is VERY good people. Good luck.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My go to answer when people start in on the current AR is "watch or read Lone Survivior, and tell me that's not reliable"

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

2009. Notice the OUTWARD bulge where the firing pin struck. Not sure how that happened. Most of the brass looked normal, this one obviously not.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Watch out for blown primers lodging themselves under the trigger. I've had that occur a couple of times in my Bushmaster while firing hot reloads. The little buggers can get wedged in under there against the bottom of the lower. They are a pain to remove and make the weapon entirely useless till they are cleared out.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

I fired some of the CG last weekend .... And it is indeed very hot ammo !

Pull one of the bullets !
Its 62gr bullet is as long as most 77gr .224 bullets, it is very stiffly loaded.

The BCG was noticeably cycling faster. And I really think it was louder.

FAR to hot for any short throated .223 Rem. Chambered rifle.

The charge weight is 26.8gr of unknown ball powder.

Remember , the cases are berdan primed ....

I only got fair accuracy, what year is yours ? Accuracy was about XM193ish ( 3 moa )

Mine is from 2010. No primer issues after 60 rounds fired.

Frankly , even though it has a green bullet ( that supposedly ) has better penetration.... the increased wear and tear is not worth it to me.

There are better choices available right now for surplus.

Edited !!! I forgot to mention, quite a few of the taking apart CG rounds had "clumps" of the ball powder in them.... I had to use a toothpick to get the last bit out.
Shades of early .458 WM ammo !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts