Forum Jester
6,984 Posts

·
Forum Jester
6,984 Posts

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
In a statement, St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kimberly M. Gardner said, “It is illegal to wave weapons in a threatening manner at those participating in nonviolent protest, and while we are fortunate this situation did not escalate into deadly force, this type of conduct is unacceptable in St. Louis.”

She said the charges followed a thorough police investigation and that she would be open to resolving the charges with a diversion program, a form of probation that would mean no conviction for the McCloskeys if successfully completed.

Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt said he will seek dismissal of the charges and called them a case of “political prosecution.”
McCloskeys charged with felonies for waving guns during protests | Law and order | stltoday.com

·
Registered
547 Posts
Both of them being lawyers, they really should have known better, especially in that they certainly knew of the anti gun proclivities of the prosecutor. This was either all by design or they are just stupid.
That is what blows my mind.

In addition to possible legal consequences, didn't either one stop and think about leaving the safety of the home to confront the rioters? Why would you do that if there were other options like a second story window or flat roof?

If they had only displayed the weapons and not pointed them at the crowd they might not be in the same situation.

Is the fact that her pistol was non-functional make any difference?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Hi,
Of course this is quite obvious what is going on.

As the Democrats in the city could not out right confiscate law abiding Citizens weapons...

The next best thing is to make examples of those that have the cajones to actually use them to protect themselves.

The other side of the coin is that "some" people can do whatever they want, no matter the law or even what would be considered right or wrong?

What if these People had not stood up to this Mob, we don't know, but from past experience with "peaceful" Protesters, might of not been good???

Hopefully, the Left is finally running into it's self, as this way of thinking, does more and more damage in our Society???

DChWhn2.jpg

Reactions: stoky

·
Registered
10,735 Posts
Everything about this issue has been theatrics, right from the beginning.

In addition to possible legal consequences, didn't either one stop and think about leaving the safety of the home to confront the rioters? Why would you do that if there were other options like a second story window or flat roof?
Yes. When defending a position, you don't leave cover to stand out in the open, especially against several hundred people.

If they had only displayed the weapons and not pointed them at the crowd they might not be in the same situation.
Rules vary from state to state, but they certainly should have started out that way. Rifle slung, pistol holstered, when they first presented themselves. They are in an urban environment, not on a ranch. You don't want to be the one that escalates the situation.

Both of them being lawyers, they really should have known better, especially in that they certainly knew of the anti gun proclivities of the prosecutor. This was either all by design or they are just stupid.
I'm voting stupid. They aren't criminal lawyers. They are personal injury lawyers, which pretty much puts them at the bottom of the social ladder (and possibly the food chain).

Is the fact that her pistol was non-functional make any difference?
In the eyes of the law, it usually doesn't. Had someone shot her, it would be still be considered self defense. Police are justified in shooting a suspect that is holding a dummy gun. So is anyone else. This is where she proves her stupidity. There is an old saying that you "don't bring a knife to a gunfight." Well, you don't bring a dummy gun, either.

The DA has pretty much over-charged, knowing the case probably isn't going anywhere. The couple weren't arrested, which seems odd if there are felony weapons charges involved. The governor and AG are using the issue for political theatrics as well. The only ones not getting involved are the Pro-2A organizations. I don't see the NRA, GOA, CCRKBA, JPFO, NSSF, etc, coming out to defend the couple. Please correct me if you know otherwise.

·
Registered
Save the Country - Vote Libertarian
155 Posts
"After video of the McCloskeys went viral, Gardner said she would investigate. The city’s first African American prosecutor said she was alarmed that "peaceful protesters were met by guns and a violent assault. We must protect the right to peacefully protest, and any attempt to chill it through intimidation or threat of deadly force will not be tolerated.”

I wonder if that sentence sums up why they were charged

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Break the law, pay the price. We all have to live by that or it is just chaos.
Did you miss the memo The couple was defending there millon dollar house against a group of people who broke down a gate and trespassed into private property. Read my earlier comment when burn loot murder said they were going kill them there pets, and live in there house. When Burn loot murder shows up to a few of yalls house i know who is going to suck there thumb and call the police.

When they come to my house I'll be doing the same thing the couple did.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
There were some protests in Casper WY.........of all places. Among the crowd were people with slung long guns. Un- armored police mingled with the crowd and expressed empathy. The closest thing to violence was some young good 'ol boys "rollin coal" (making a lot of smoke in detuned diesel pickups) in counter protest.
Some bused in protesters ascertained that the protest proper might not be the place to hang out. They went to Conwell Park, across from the hospital, bent on destruction. They ended up in the same hospital that they attempted to vandalize. LSM details on how they came to harm is sketchy. :sneaky:

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
And still not a single charge against burn loot murder for vandalizing that gate and trespassing. Yall are so quick to judge that couple though for defending them selfs.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Arrest those that break the law simple. (possible) Destruction of property does not rise to the same level as menacing. I no more want this couple to go to jail for their actions than anyone else here. My point is simple. Take your guns out if that is what you feel is necessary, but don't scan people. It is against the law. Laws should not be enforced selectively, but the reality is that the law is enforced more often than not in that way. We have to work together to change that.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Arrest those that break the law simple. (possible) Destruction of property does not rise to the same level as menacing. I no more want this couple to go to jail for their actions than anyone else here. My point is simple. Take your guns out if that is what you feel is necessary, but don't scan people. It is against the law. Laws should not be enforced selectively, but the reality is that the law is enforced more often than not in that way. We have to work together to change that.
"[They said] that they were going to kill us," Patricia McCloskey told Hannity on Monday night. "They were going to come in there. They were going to burn down the house. They were going to be living in our house after I was dead, and they were pointing to different rooms and said, 'That’s going to be my bedroom and that’s going to be the living room and I’m going to be taking a shower in that room’.”"

You want them the couplearrested for menacing, How bout charging that group of protesters with menacing!!! What happened to having a second amendment, a right to keep and bear arms, the right to defend your self and your property against people who are threating to kill you.

Thank god the governor is going to pardon them.

Reactions: seagiant

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
And, arrest those in the crowd that destroyed property.
Legally speaking we cannot make exceptions.

What the McCloskeys' are saying at this point if presented in a court of law would be "hearsay". I am not disputing their rights.

As I mentioned before which you may have missed I have had to protect property and family with a firearm, so I get it and don't paint me as being anti 2A because I think laws should be enforced. If they hadn't scanned the crowd, there would not be this problem.

I understand the emotions expressed here, but emotions cannot overrule the law.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
They weren't charged with Menacing, or Flourishing, or Brandishing, the charge was "Exhibiting". Presumably there are no guns in museums thereabouts. :sneaky:

61 - 80 of 107 Posts