M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha,

I almost sold this AR-10T, however when the buyer dropped out, I gave it some after thought and decided that I never gave this rifle a real chance to show its "stuff"...

This is what she looked like at the time when I thought of selling her (pic is the AR-10T and the "fun gun"...

[http://tokamura.tipg.net/images/AR-FunGuns/AR-Boys01.JPG]

Nice profile...

[http://tokamura.tipg.net/images/AR-FunGuns/AR-Boys03.JPG]

A couple of things needed modification if I was to keep her. For one, the trigger was terrible and no way would I spend the $$ to get an Armalite NM trigger... so I started searching... and information on these rifles (AR-10's) are slim... I decided on a CMC SM single stage trigger because only a few have tried them and I thought it would be a worthwhile investment.

It arrived and this is that it looked like...

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/dighawaii/DigHawaii Pics/CMC Trigger/CMC01.jpg]

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/dighawaii/DigHawaii Pics/CMC Trigger/CMC02.jpg]

The trigger itself appears to be a "quality" piece of workmanship. This is why I thought to showcase it. The trigger/hammer is all "self" contained as ONE unit.

Two oversized pins are provided to hold everything in place and there is a "C" clip on each side for extra protection.

Installation was straight forward. However, I did have to remove the trigger pin to lower the trigger body a smidgen so that the safety could clean and be installed, then I reinstalled the pin...

So far everything looks like it should work OK. One of my hesitations is that the standard AR-15 triggers may NOT fit an AR-10 because the hammer is much thinner.

The original AR-10 hammer measured .190" wide and my Bushmaster AR-15 trigger measured .224". The CMC was .204 and appeared to have sufficient clearance to function properly in the bolt.

I put a "snap cap" chambered and at least I know that there is firing pin contact so the hammer is making contact with the firing pin...

This is what the CMC trigger looks like installed...
[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/dighawaii/DigHawaii Pics/CMC Trigger/CMC03.jpg]

The trigger pull is very light and SMOOOOOTH! And, this is measuring it next to my Rem 700 with a Jewell trigger...

I hope she performs... so, wish me luck! Thanks for letting me share some of this experience with all of you...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
That's cool enough Tomodachi.... I have a Armalite 2 stage in my match gun.... don't like the single stage triggers at all since I'm used to a two stage. Sothat's why I eneded up spending the money for the Armalite. Don't know what they cost now, but if my memory serves me correctly they were $99 when I got mine a few years ago. I think the profile pic is absolutely perfect. I can't remember seeing a better one. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Hawk... :lol:

The Armalite 2 stage NM trigger now is over $200! 8O And, I couldn't find anyone with these triggers for sale as cheap as this CMC trigger...

The next step if the CMC doesn't work (hammer impact) is to look at a Jewell for this rifle. I really want it to shoot well.

The other modifications I am thinking of is ... maybe new barrel with a muzzle brake for the "looks" department.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Geez...that's steep 8O Muzzlebreak might be an improvement in the looks dept, but hell on the guy shooting next to you.... I can remember more than once shooting next to a guy who had one and feeling the blast hit me in the middle of the back.... and they are loud too 8O

·
Registered
609 Posts
Tom,

That is a great looking rifle!

I’m really anxious to hear more about it; both how well it shoots and how well the trigger pack holds up. Please be sure to let us know.

-Chris

·
Registered
31 Posts
dighawaii said:
Hey Hawk... :lol:

The Armalite 2 stage NM trigger now is over $200! 8O And, I couldn't find anyone with these triggers for sale as cheap as this CMC trigger...

The next step if the CMC doesn't work (hammer impact) is to look at a Jewell for this rifle. I really want it to shoot well.

The other modifications I am thinking of is ... maybe new barrel with a muzzle brake for the "looks" department.

Aloha,

Tom O.
I'm not trying to stir up trouble or hijack your thread, but I installed a Jewell last night and the directions said:
*Note: This trigger is designed for AR15 and AR15 type actions, (.223). It is not intended for use on AR10 or AR10 type actions, (.308).*

-Just so you know before you drop the coin...BTW, I installed mine on a .308 Bushy, we will see how it works later this morning... 8O

-Edited to add:
The Jewell measured .201
Stock BAR 10 .301

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aloha 4 Rings:

The CMC SM trigger only advertised it as an AR15 trigger, so I emailed them to ask if it would work in an AR10, but I received no reply, so I proceeded on this test anyway... It worked very well so far.

A friend of mine at the range also running an AR10, has a jewell trigger installed on his and it performs so well, it started giving me ideas of what I could do to try and make my AR10 perform better...

Thanks for the heads up and I will looking to see how you do.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
31 Posts
dighawaii said:
Aloha 4 Rings:

The CMC SM trigger only advertised it as an AR15 trigger, so I emailed them to ask if it would work in an AR10, but I received no reply, so I proceeded on this test anyway... It worked very well so far.

A friend of mine at the range also running an AR10, has a jewell trigger installed on his and it performs so well, it started giving me ideas of what I could do to try and make my AR10 perform better...

Thanks for the heads up and I will looking to see how you do.

Aloha,

Tom O.
I'm sold on the Jewell, it is about the smoothest trigger I have pulled...I started with a heavy pull and worked my way down with no recoil related problems or "doubles"...The only issue is I could not get the retainer spring that keeps the trigger and hammer pins from walking out when fired installed, its a very tight fit inside the lower...My plan is to buy pins with "c" clips, this should cure the problem...The pins will walk out, but I was aware that it might be a problem and kept watch on them...Other than that, I plan on buying another for my Bushy Stainless Varmint Special, I don't see how you could go wrong, I'll give it a 5 star rating !!! Mike 8)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guess i got lucky

My AR-10T carbine came with the 2 stage trigger, it only took armalite 9 months to get it to me, took longer to make the gun reliable.

P.S. took it to the range turkeyday, everyone who shot it realy loved the trigger

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.