M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,Im the one who picked up the Fulton 22" Peerless in a Mcmillian A1.I just traded for a scope as well, and wanted to know if the optic is suitable for this rifle or if I should use this on another build.I picked up a Leupold Mk 4 Ultra 16x with Arms quick throw mounts.I have seen everything from Leatherwood ARTs to ACOGs used on these.If there is a more suitable optic,please advise as to the make and model.I also have my eye on a U.S. Optics SN. Any advice for the M1A newbie would be much appreciated.Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yup, 2-10, 2-7, even a good 1-4 will allow you to smack steel at 600 yards while not losing any speed up close.

Remember the standard WW2 sniper scope was a fixed 4 power or fixed 2.5 power. It's plenty.

16X is pretty much useless under 300-400 yards unless you're shooting clay pigeons off a bench.

The other day, ignoring my own advice, I went to shoot an Axis deer at 150 yards with a 10x fixed scope on my long range gun. Oops. No.
Me: "Where is he?"
My buddy: "He's right there dude. He's right f-in there!"
Me: "Sh-t. I can't find him."
My buddy: "Dude!! Shoot the deer!!"
Me: "Sh-t."

I couldn't find him before he disappeared back into the brush. Banghead banghead banghead.

Yeah the highest I'd go in a fixed power is an acog, 4x. Even that seems really slow a lot of the time....

·
Registered
515 Posts
Nothing wrong with Weavers, I own more of them than any other scope, hunted coyotes seriously for a dozen years and I preferred the 2-10 Weaver above any other scope. Took me a while to figure out my super duper 6-24 scope was not a close range scope, some of these coyotes we had to shoot off our laps, rabbit calls can be too effective..

I shot the 300/500/600/800/1000 yard Maricopa fun match in AZ with my flattop AR, and the only scope that I had with enough elevation was a Weaver V9. People actually laughed at me when I showed up with it, but I was pushing the 75 AMax at 3050 feet/sec and I kicked butt! That little $100 Weaver was spot on with my elevation and windage dope, and I beat guys shooting $3000 rifles and $1500 Nightforce scopes. Hell I even beat some of the really good AZ Palma shooters with a 485/500 score. Did loose most of my points at 1000, first 2 sighters were misses and first for score was a 5, the AMax was definitely running out of steam, but it got there supersonic.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
The best snipers in the world routinely use a 10x fixed power out to 1000yds.

I know two of the favored scopes during Viet Nam were the Weaver T-10 and the Redfield 3-9 Widefield.

·
Registered
570 Posts
This is what I'm running at the present time. I like the imaging,
magnification, and overall look and feel. It just looks right to me
being on the M14 platform and is not too heavy. It's mounted with
a gen 4 mount... The scope is a Redfield Revolution 2-7x32 with
the Acu-Range reticle. The Redfield is made by Leupold in Oregon...

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I'll have to agree with the 2-10 crowd. Too much magnification just gets in the way. I usually have most of my variable scoped rifles set at their lowest settings anyway.

This is a 2.5-10 IOR Tactical on my EBR, I've shot it out to 600yds and have never felt "under scoped"

·
Registered
559 Posts
the new vortex viper pst comes in a 2.5-10x and its getting some good reviews. there is also a bushnell elite 6500 in 2.5-16x or 4.5-30x if you want to have the option to bench it and still hunt or whatever with it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have a Leatherwood CMR 1-4X24
I love the idea that the reticle and the turrets are both in MOA's. I haven't messed with any other scopes yet, but have heard that some come with a Mil Dot reticle and MOA turrets/vice versa... and understand that they require more calculating than anything. I guess it could be good practice, but time consuming. Just thought this would be something to think about when you go out shopping for some glass... I also heard that Nightforce carries ones with matching reticles to turrets (MOA's/Mil Dot's). Good luck with your hunt. BEERCHUG1

Here's a pic of my CMR on my Super Match:

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
I've had a 4X12 Bushnell (with BDC) on my rifle for about 30 years. I tried a straight 10X scope for awhile but its too much scope for deer hunting and plinking. I put the 10X on my groundhog rifle and put the 4X12 back on the M1A.

I usually set it on about 8X for everything from 25 meters to almost 500 yds. unless I want to look for bullet holes and then I crank it up to 12X.

If you can learn to shoot with both eyes open you can "find" those close up deer much easier when one eye is "in the scope" and the other is bring used to quickly find and rough align the scope and scope eye with the target.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a mark4 m2 2.5x8x36 mildot mrt. I just love this scope all the power I need nice and clear not to mention BRIGHT! I need a gen3 jae but dont want to wait 10 months.I have to send Ripsaw money to get his gen 2.Then the 10 month wait wont hurt lol.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
ill agree with the others, a fixed 16X scope is a a bit much for anything other than paper punching. i like a lot of magnification, ut the low end of the power range has to get down somewhere between 2 and 6 power for it to be useable for much.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
This is the most scope I would use on an M1A. Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14X40

4.5 is still a little high on the low end. I'm thinking of swapping for a 3.5-10X40. Does anyone have experience with those? I'm interested if there is any tunneling at 3.5X.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Leatherwood CMR 1-4X24
I love the idea that the reticle and the turrets are both in MOA's. I haven't messed with any other scopes yet, but have heard that some come with a Mil Dot reticle and MOA turrets/vice versa... and understand that they require more calculating than anything. I guess it could be good practice, but time consuming. Just thought this would be something to think about when you go out shopping for some glass... I also heard that Nightforce carries ones with matching reticles to turrets (MOA's/Mil Dot's). Good luck with your hunt. BEERCHUG1

Here's a pic of my CMR on my Super Match:
Is that the factory Springfield M21 stock? It looks very usefull for scope work, and I think I need one.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Thoughts on RATM™....

I use the lower power scopes on most everything now, especially for tactical or hunting work. Remember; the primary advantage of a scope is that it puts the target and your aiming reference points (i.e.: the reticle) on the same easily-focused-on visual plane. Your eyes don't have to switch back and forth to the rear sight, the front sight and some fuzzy target 500 yards away. Yeah; that's OK when you are 22 yrs old (don't I remember that, when I was shootin' competitively in the Army... sigh).

For fast target acquisition in low light, you just can't beat a 1X to 1.5X low-power setting on a compact variable. Leupold's new 30mm tubed VX-R (illuminated center point in the reticle) is avail. in a 2 -7, and I also sell a lot of their excellent 1.75 - 6X scopes, usually with a heavy or German No. 4 reticle. Both are very low profile, sitting close to the rifle's bore axis, are relatively light, and are available with those easily seen heavy reticles. You do not want a fine, thin hard-to-find skinny little thin reticle when light conditions are limited! The heavy reticle in my new VX-R, coupled with that illum. center point, allows me to use it even at night!

http://http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/vx-r-2-7x33mm/

I have mine in the metric Fire Dot 4 Heavy Reticle shown on this link.

Remember; this rifle platform is generally not utilized for super-high precision long-range sub-MoA target work, unless that is what you're trying to do with it. But even in that case, you can always have an alternate scope in 1913 (Weaver) rings ready to clip on to your baby!

But then again, when the scopes I mentioned here are wound up to their 6X or 7X top ends, you still have a lot more scope magnification than most all of the WW-II, Korean and Vietnam-era snipers had. They would have died for a 4X fixed scope with the clarity of most all the modern scopes, like Leupold, Burris, Leatherwood, NightForce and so on. Oh yeah, and those Trijicon ACOGs? Amazing tactical scopes,but predictably: LOW POWER!! A bit pricey though.....

(Oh Honey? Are you being Santa this year?)

Just ask the boys who are back from The Sandbox! Trijicons are Numero Uno out there for daily tac-use!

REMEMBER: The Real Alternate To Magnification (RATM!): PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! GI2

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.