M14 Forum banner

Applying case lube.

2661 71
Had and old friend at my range yesterday and he was asking some questions as to how I lube cases for sizing. To make a long story short he came down into the shop and watched as I did my usual case-lube during brass prep. He noticed that I was doing something he says he had never seen before. As I pick a case up off the lube pad, I rotate it in my left hand and lube the neck and shoulder with my thumb and pointer. I thought everyone did the same. This was the way I learned over half a century ago and hadn't given it any thought. He also thought it interesting that I lubed the inside of the case neck on every other case using a .410 bore mop on a pistol rod. Just thought I would share this with fellow re-loaders and see what ya'll think. Whatta Hobby!

Computer keyboard Input device Peripheral Electronic instrument Musical instrument
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
16,406 Posts
Early on I was told not to lube the shoulder and outside neck, as the lube will build up in the sizing die and deform the case shoulder with little dents. In recent years I've been using the RCBS spray, using the minimum necessary.

I use liquid lube and a Q-Tip on the inside neck of every 5 case in the tray, to keep the expander ball from stretching the case.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Early on I was told not to lube the shoulder and outside neck, as the lube will build up in the sizing die and deform the case shoulder with little dents. In recent years I've been using the RCBS spray, using the minimum necessary.

I use liquid lube and a Q-Tip on the inside neck of every 5 case in the tray, to keep the expander ball from stretching the case.
Yep, spray lube is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
21,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Those dents of which you speak are not usually caused by lubing the neck, but by applying too much lube from a pad to the case body causing pressure buildup in unvented dies..

After sizing my cases all spend an hour in the Thumler wet tumble with ss pins, then into the Frankford case dryer for a couple of hours then the Giraud trimmer before priming.

We kind of decided it was a habit I picked up way back when we only lubed the necks for neck sizing in precision bolt rifles and carried it on out of habit. It is a good idea to lube the inside of the necks so the expander ball just expands the mouth and not pull up too hard on a nicely sized case.

Just started prep on 500 by sizing this morning. 250 berdan and 250 boxer. Getting an early start for next years precision season. I have been loading 5 - 10K of .308 annually for the last 30 plus years and may have developed some bad habits, but they seem to work for me. Sharing earned knowledge is a part of our brotherhood. Whatt Hobby!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Art,

Thanks for some very good points on lubing cases. Everybody has their own method but you can always see improvements and shortcuts!

I use a 14" x 20" cookie lined with paper towels. I can layout about 100 cases of .223 in 4 rows with the open cases facing me. I spray the cases with PAM ( yes...the cooking oil) at a low angle so I get a little lube in the neck opening. I then hand roll a row of cases on the paper towel to get them coated with lube on all sides. Size em them and then ( Like You! ) back in the wet tumbler with SS pins, dawn to remove the lube and a final cleaning....then into the case dryer for an hour before trimming.

·
Premium Member
21,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No fooling. Everyone has their own procedures. Some just look at loading book data and dive in with both feel. Some luck out and things work out. Others not so much. This is why I though it might be a good idea to open a discussion thread. Brass prep can be a science and sharing ideas might just benefit some of those just getting started or even some of the old pros that have had less that stellar results from the way they had been doing things. Whatta Hobby!

·
Registered
236 Posts
No fooling. Everyone has their own procedures. Some just look at loading book data and dive in with both feel. Some luck out and things work out. Others not so much. This is why I though it might be a good idea to open a discussion thread. Brass prep can be a science and sharing ideas might just benefit some of those just getting started or even some of the old pros that have had less that stellar results from the way they had been doing things. Whatta Hobby!
I think that Art has hit the nail on the head!!! Keep copious notes, and determine what works for you.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Another good lube is Lee case lube dissolved in denatured alcohol , as much case lube as will dissolve into the alcohol, put in a little spray bottle. Spread cases out on a towel, spray them, roll around , spray again, let dry a minute . The Lee case Lube is a wax, the alcohol evaporates, cases are lubed and the stuff can be left on the cases or wiped off with a rag. The coating is not greasy or messy and a 2 oz. tube makes a lot of spray lube. Economical too.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I lube with my fingers - for me it works better than rolling the cases on a pad.
Use a Q-tip on inside of neck - wipe Q on body of case that was previously sized, and then inside neck of next to be sized. Lubing the inside of neck makes extracting the expander much easier and smooth - likely resulting in less disturbance to the shoulder.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Had and old friend at my range yesterday and he was asking some questions as to how I lube cases for sizing. To make a long story short he came down into the shop and watched as I did my usual case-lube during brass prep. He noticed that I was doing something he says he had never seen before. As I pick a case up off the lube pad, I rotate it in my left hand and lube the neck and shoulder with my thumb and pointer. I thought everyone did the same. This was the way I learned over half a century ago and hadn't given it any thought. He also thought it interesting that I lubed the inside of the case neck on every other case using a .410 bore mop on a pistol rod. Just thought I would share this with fellow re-loaders and see what ya'll think. Whatta Hobby!

View attachment 497561
I have never lubed inside case neck. However, I might do this with bolt gun brass. As you know, bolt guns, as a rule, offer more accuracy. I learned with my M1A that the cycling volatility warps the cases slightly (very) as cartridge goes into battery. In addition, the mop usage further guarantees that range debris in not left inside case that tumbling missed. I visually inspect inside case and check for any ring separation. Had too many of them....

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I bailed on the lube pad years ago. Imperial Sizing Wax

On pistol cases and straight wall rifle I use Hornady One Shot
On necked rifle cases I use Imperial Sizing Wax and just dab some on the neck and base. At times I will skip a case as the Imperial Wax is very good. I only put some inside the neck when it feels sticky.

I guarantee you ISW will change your reloading life. Get rid of that nasty old lube pad.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I,too, use Imperial wax for the outside of the case but I've been using mica for inside the neck because many (don't ask how) years ago we were told that we could contaminate the powder with oil if we used oil inside the case. The mica is applied by diping the neck into a shallow lid 3/4 filled with mica. The mica adhears to both the inside and outside of the neck but doesn't build up on either. Again, a habit learned long ago and hard to break.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I,too, use Imperial wax for the outside of the case but I've been using mica for inside the neck because many (don't ask how) years ago we were told that we could contaminate the powder with oil if we used oil inside the case. The mica is applied by diping the neck into a shallow lid 3/4 filled with mica. The mica adhears to both the inside and outside of the neck but doesn't build up on either. Again, a habit learned long ago and hard to break.
ISW inside with no issues for over twenty years. Just touch the case neck down mouth down barely on the ISW and go. You don't need to lube each one. You will figure out how many to lube in the series. Most is every other one and least is like one in five.

Once I had an odd round go off in a 556 bolt action rifle and produced a ton of white smoke. I figured it was the car wax I use in the tumbling process got in the case but the round still fired.

·
Registered
11,787 Posts
I use an RCBS pad with whatever lube I have on hand, usually RCBS or Redding. I roll them over it and every few pieces I drag one over the pad to lube the inside of the neck and when they start feeling hard again, I do another one for easier passage over the ball.

I dont let the odd dent in the shoulder worry me, they iron right out when shooting, no big deal.
After sizing I dump them in a Frankfort tumbler with corn cob media and tumble till clean.

I remember my dad used to use Imperial wax and finger lube each case.
What a waste of time. Life is short.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I use an RCBS pad with whatever lube I have on hand, usually RCBS or Redding. I roll them over it and every few pieces I drag one over the pad to lube the inside of the neck and when they start feeling hard again, I do another one for easier passage over the ball.

I dont let the odd dent in the shoulder worry me, they iron right out when shooting, no big deal.
After sizing I dump them in a Frankfort tumbler with corn cob media and tumble till clean.

I remember my dad used to use Imperial wax and finger lube each case.
What a waste of time. Life is short.
Huh. I guess my process must be much fast than your dad. I found the pad very slow, messy, etc. All I do is swipe a bit of ISW and touch the case as I am putting it into my press. I don't think we can post videos here. If we can let me know and I will do a short video showing how I do this.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Steed, been reloading since '68 and have learned many "truths" over the years. Some became "habits", both good and bad. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
I hear ya. I keep trying to learn new stuff that is why I am interested in this thread. Honestly, I have never regretted tossing the pad. Mine went in the trash in the early 90s.

How many of you have found that OneShot works well on straight cases? I have. I get an empty small cardboard box and toss the brass in there. Spray them up, shake it, spray them up again, and then let them site a few minutes to dry. I even do this on 45-70 sometimes. Other times I will use ISW on 45-70. All my pistol rounds are done with OneShot.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts