M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up literature last weekend that an Appleseed clinic is coming to Como Miss November the 13th-14th and December the 11th-12th.
I have never been to one before and this is about 50 miles south of me. I am going to sign up for the Nov one and hope my foot is well enough by then to not be a big factor.
I would like anyone in the area that is interested to come.
It is at the Desota Rifle and Pistol club. They have opened a new rifle range and I hear it is pretty nice.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
GO!! Have Fun!! If you are compromised physically THEY WILL accommodate you!! It is all about the history of April 19th, 1775 and teaching you how to be rifleman!

What are you using for a boomstick??

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GO!! Have Fun!! If you are compromised physically THEY WILL accommodate you!! It is all about the history of April 19th, 1775 and teaching you how to be rifleman!

What are you using for a boomstick??
What am I using for a boomstick? That is a good question. The guy I talked to said "Bring your 10/22 and plenty of ammo" I said "I don't have a 10/22"
I guess they want a semi-auto 22. I have several. I guess they want you to shoot with iron sights. I will have to dig around to see what I want to use.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Most of the shooting will be from prone. You do a good bit of walking to & from the targets.

The curriculum is based on iron sighted semi-autos, though you can use a scope or boltgun, etc.

The 10-22s are really popular for the 25 meter shooting because they are cheap to buy, cheap to feed, and they are easy to setup as good trainers (we call 'em LTRs - Liberty Training Rifles).

Standard mods made to a stock 10-22 for the LTR conversion inlcude: extended magazine release (some are coming with this from the factory now), automatic bolt release (you can buy this part from MidwayUSA or convert the stock part yourself - just do a word search for a tutorial), tech-sights which gives you a USGI service rifle sight picture (www.tech-sights.com) and a USGI websling with Uncle Mike's QD 1 1/4" sling swivels.

A huge part of the curriculum is learning how to use the sling. Make sure you have one or can borrow one, and that it can be used on your rifle (has the studs/swivels) before you go and you will get much more out of the weekend, and shoot better.

If you ask the Shoot Boss or whoever the local contact is, they may have a loaner LTR for you to use. I know I have 4 LTRs that I built to loan out. I think my service will be required at Waco, GA that weekend (11/13-14), but if not I may go help at Como instead.

You'll be glad you went.

SS
aka RWVA's "Bama"

·
Registered
119 Posts
A 10/22 with Tech Sights and GI sling is a realistic alternative to the M14. Since you will shoot 400+ rounds, .22LR is the most economical way to go. I have done it with .22 autos, .22 bolt guns, AR and M14. You want to take your M14 so you can shoot it after you "learn to shoot" with a .22. It's a great program. Just remember the most important thing you can bring is a "teachable attitude" along with at least three magazines, good elbow pads and all the other stuff listed. Have fun!!! FRG1FRG1

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just went to the website to regiter and it is sold out. GI4 I was not expecting this at all.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I just went to the website to regiter and it is sold out. GI4 I was not expecting this at all.
They almost always have no-shows . . I bet if you go anyway they will find a place on the line for you!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Don't give up yet. Many times the Appleseed registration totals include duplicate names. Go anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts