M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find much information on this powder except for the mfg data. I have read there may be issues with high pressures. Also wondering about temperature
sensitivity.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I bought .45 kg(lb) of the same and havn't used it yet. Mainly because i'm scared. Lol
What I am going to do is load it 1 grain lower(45) than min(46) and call it a day. That's with a 168gn bullet.
Hogdon's data tells me ~48,200 for the Psi rating @ 46.6gn with it going pretty darn fast. 2660. Imo, I think 45 will do fine.
BUT....I'll admit it. I've been wrong before....just don't tell my lady.

Then again, I may just sell it to a friend and b done with it. Ahhhh

Deuces

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Have you guys tried 49 grains? Where are you finding load data that recommends 49 grains?

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Oh, I see Hodgdon's load data.

All I can say is that I wouldn't recommend going that high with the M1A gas gun.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Calls for 49grn on a 168...any powders out there calling for a aimilar load
Not with a 168 grain bullet, 40 - 44 grains is the most common.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I use CFE223 in my bolt gun, but not my M1A. Too far down on the chart for my likes, it's even slower than Varget.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I'd recommend starting at around 44 grains and working up to no more than 46.5 grains. My bet is that somewhere around 44 grains with a COAL of 2.82" will give you the best groups.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I agree with 44-45.5 gn.

Deuces

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
2000MR is the same thing, little slower maybe. Both are basically ball powder Reloader 17. With a vented gas plug they are 100% fine in your M1A. For some people it may be fine without any mods. If using military or federal brass take 1.5-2 grains off the hodgdon data.

Another one you can use safely is leverevolution powder. It is a bit faster than 2000MR, load data like varget.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts