M14 Forum banner

Anyone use this?

2914 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  ecm14
Has anyone used this:
UltiMak (M8) M-14 / M1A Forward Optic Mount
If you have, how has it worked, and what do you think of it?
If anyone has one they want to sell let me know.

Thank you.

Jim
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
383 Posts
I have one on my scout with a aimpoint micro. it works great and sits low enough to still use my irons, not a true co witness the dot is more a lolipop on the post . wish they made one for mid weight barrels I would get one for my M25. Also have a ultimak on my AK and it co witness as well. They make
slick gear!

· Registered
1,909 Posts
I have one.(not on the rifle at this time) It is an excellent forward rail. I was able to cowitness with a 30mm red dot scope. It is the lowest rail available at this time. If you check my pictures you will see how it looks. It weighs 10.25oz., the original scout mount/handguard weighed 5.5oz with a net gain of 4.75oz. on my rifle.

Glenn

· Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looked at your pics

I have one.(not on the rifle at this time) It is an excellent forward rail. I was able to cowitness with a 30mm red dot scope. It is the lowest rail available at this time. If you check my pictures you will see how it looks. It weighs 10.25oz., the original scout mount/handguard weighed 5.5oz with a net gain of 4.75oz. on my rifle.

Glenn
I looked at your pics, what happened to the green stock?
Were you happy with the hand guard forward mount?
If it is not on a weapon now are you interested in selling?

Thank you

Jim

· Registered
10,980 Posts
I've got one on my SOCOM 16 along with my Nikon scope (I'm putting cash away to buy an Aimpoint Micro T1).

The Ultimak is the lowest rail made, it's almost a quarter inch lower than any other mount. The top of the rail about 5/64" higher than the top of the receiver ring. It's rock solid and easy to install.

The only problem I had with mine was that the bottom edge of the rail touched the top of the stock. I used a Dremel and a file to remove material for the proper clearance. After taking material off I used a bottle of Aluminum Black to color the rail.

Reactions: jake2far

· Registered
1,909 Posts
I looked at your pics, what happened to the green stock?
Were you happy with the hand guard forward mount?
If it is not on a weapon now are you interested in selling?

Thank you

Jim
I am very happy with the Ultimak M8. I prefer wood stock for looks and stiffness.
So sorry my M8 is not for sale. When I get my laminated wood stock finished, the M8 will be back on the rifle.

Glenn

· Registered
97 Posts
I also read somewhere that it helps stabilize and cool tha barrel, which may assist with accuracy. Not sure of this though. Maybe others will chime in on this.

· Registered
492 Posts
I've got one on my SOCOM 16 along with my Nikon scope (I'm putting cash away to buy an Aimpoint Micro T1).

The Ultimak is the lowest rail made, it's almost a quarter inch lower than any other mount. The top of the rail about 5/64" higher than the top of the receiver ring. It's rock solid and easy to install.

The only problem I had with mine was that the bottom edge of the rail touched the top of the stock. I used a Dremel and a file to remove material for the proper clearance. After taking material off I used a bottle of Aluminum Black to color the rail.
RAMMAC,

First that is a bueaty! I love the JAE. I had a question about how the scope is mounted so far up on the front rail. It's so far up, how do you deal with the eye relief? How do you get so far up on the scope? If you let me in on your technique, you will open a whole new world to me. Thanks.

Also, the T-1 is worth every penny. If you haven't looked through one, I have two now, you will not believe how huge it feels/looks when looking through it in such a small package.

FYI on the savings side ( I have zero affiliation in fact I'm not a huge fan but...) BOTACH every few weeks has a sale on the T-1 hundreds less than even Optics Planet. They come without the box because they have the military contract but they are legit ( I called the Aimpoint rep and confirmed they are the real deal) and a mount you won't want because you can not co-witness with the front sight. But you may want to sneak a peek every once in a while, you may not have to save that long. There prices are hard to beat on certain things.

SORRY JAKE didn't mean to highjack your post just saw the scope and had to ask.

· Registered
10,980 Posts
RAMMAC,

First that is a bueaty! I love the JAE. I had a question about how the scope is mounted so far up on the front rail. It's so far up, how do you deal with the eye relief? How do you get so far up on the scope? If you let me in on your technique, you will open a whole new world to me. Thanks.
Thanks for the compliment. The scope is the secret, it's got a long eye relief, 9 - 30 inches depending on the magnification that you have it set on. Here is a link to the info on it.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/encore/2.5-8x28_EER_BDC_RETICLE/8481

Also, the T-1 is worth every penny. If you haven't looked through one, I have two now, you will not believe how huge it feels/looks when looking through it in such a small package.

FYI on the savings side ( I have zero affiliation in fact I'm not a huge fan but...) BOTACH every few weeks has a sale on the T-1 hundreds less than even Optics Planet. They come without the box because they have the military contract but they are legit ( I called the Aimpoint rep and confirmed they are the real deal) and a mount you won't want because you can not co-witness with the front sight. But you may want to sneak a peek every once in a while, you may not have to save that long. There prices are hard to beat on certain things.

SORRY JAKE didn't mean to highjack your post just saw the scope and had to ask.
Yeah, I was convinced that I had to get one when I had the opportunity to use the Micro on my SOCOM with the Ultimak rail during a gun writer's demo. It co-witnessed perfectly on my rifle.

· Registered
492 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. The scope is the secret, it's got a long eye relief, 9 - 30 inches depending on the magnification that you have it set on. Here is a link to the info on it.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/encore/2.5-8x28_EER_BDC_RETICLE/8481

Yeah, I was convinced that I had to get one when I had the opportunity to use the Micro on my SOCOM with the Ultimak rail during a gun writer's demo. It co-witnessed perfectly on my rifle.
Thanks for the link I'm in so much trouble now! More glass... Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.