M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The customer service rep at SAI told me to use Super Lube on my M1A. They say it's the one they recommend.

What do you guys think of this grease?

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Thanks for sharing this information. I'd not heard of this gun grease before. I checked it out on the manufacturer's web site. The manufacturer, SYNCO Chemical Corporation, publishes the testing results. It's a good grease for the M1 Garand and M14 rifle. If you buy some, I suggest getting the 14.1 ounce canister (MSRP $14.35) instead of the 1/2 ounce tube (MSRP $3.93). I've added Super-Lube grease and its test results to the Lubricants Comparison spreadsheet.

I recommend Valvoline Multipurpose GM automotive bearing grease in the one pound can for $3.99. Both of these greases are NLGI # 2 GC-LB rated which essentially meet the military specification for rifle grease. The Valvoline grease is more affordable and available at any auto parts store.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Super lube

Yes I have used Super Lube, it works great for grease points on your weapon.

Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've never used Super Lube. I have always used Tetra Gun Grease with good results. Everything else gets a reasonable application of Break Free CLP.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've used Super Lube on all my M1A's, M1's, M1 carbines and even some sporting arms requiring grease, for the last 8 months. It stays put and doesn't change color like the Tetra Grease I used to use. It does a great job where grease is required. HTH

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Where to find it?

I get mine at a bearing house, we have bearings inc., mcguire bearing, bearing service, try calling one of your local bearing supply companies.

Jim

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Maybe ya got one of these.

Authorized Distributors

The following are Authorized Distributors of Super Lube® Products, and their inventory may vary by location:

Ace Hardware

Applied Industrial Technologies

Bearing Distributors (BDI)

Bearing Distributors and Drives Inc.

Do-It Best Corp.

E & R Industrial

Fastenal

Florida Bearings, Inc.

General Tool

Johnstone Supply

Kaman Industrial Technologies

K-Tool Corporation

Lewis Marine

McGuire Bearing Company

McMaster-Carr (High Temperature Synthetic Grease with PTFE Cat No 1378K--)

Motion Industries

MSC Industrial

Neleco (Railroad Lubricant)

ORS Nasco

Precision Industries

Preferred Tool & Equipment (PTE)

R.S. Hughes

State Supply

Tacoma Screw Products Inc.

Transply

True Value

Enjoy!

Jim

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've been using Super Lube on M1's and M1a's for over ten years now, I reckon. It works well. Even the Frankenrifle uses it, and it sees a lot of rounds through it. Plastilube was getting a little tough to find, so this grease has replaced it on my Garand-type rifles.

I usually get it at one of the auto parts stores.

Also started using Slip EWL and Slip2000 oils for GP lube and bore protectant. Seems pretty good so far- 3-5 years or so.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I had been using TW25B but recently switched to Super Lube which is thicker and seems to stay put better in our rifles.

The TW25B seems better suited to applications like a 1911 slide/rails or the rebound slide in a S&W revolver.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I had been using TW25B but recently switched to Super Lube which is thicker and seems to stay put better in our rifles.

The TW25B seems better suited to applications like a 1911 slide/rails or the rebound slide in a S&W revolver.
Agreed, TW25B is a NLGI # 1 grease. M1 Garand and M14 rifles should have a NLGI # 2 grease.

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
Lubriplate 130A.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Years ago super lube was the grease my company wanted us to use when servicing photographic processors. The super lube was immune to the chemicals it would come in contact with in the processor. I started trying it in my guns that where designed to use grease and it works great.
Lee's (Different) point about lube should be taken to heart. There are a lot of products out there that will do the job right when it comes to the M1A/Garand and the price varies a lot. The important thing is to use a product that has the physical characteristics the designers of the weapon tested it with.

I recommend that anyone wanting to get to the heart of this subject should "e-mail Different" and ask him for a copy of his spread sheet on M1A lubes.

This subject is got to be the most repeated on the forum.

I really think we should create a sticky in the "reference" section to point people to the best information that's been posted on this site previously.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
+1 on the sticky

Also, reference the "grease choice" thread in Tony's lubrication tutorial.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Mobil 1 synthetic. Used it on M1, M1 carbines for matches ranging in tempature from 20 degrees to 90. Never any problem with it. Tube sells for $7.00 at any auto parts store.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts