M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this receiver many moons ago from a well known M14 builder. It was a barrel/bolt/receiver group.

I was told it was Chinese by the seller. But there are no markings on the receiver. The seller told me some of the early imports that came into the US didn't have any markings. I removed the chrome lined barrel a long time ago which I was pretty sure was Chinese and then used the receiver bolt for a custom build. I honestly am not sure what markings were on the barrel, but I know it wasn't USGI. I do remember it had the wrong threads on the gas lock, as a GI one wouldn't thread on. Which I know is a sign of Chinese.

The bolt is for sure Chinese as there are electro pencil marks on the bottom of it. And a USGI bolt will not fit in the receiver.

After discussing this with someone else online here, they weren't sure it was Chinese. The reason being, there wasn't a set screw for the barrel on the receiver ring. In fact on the receiver ring under the op rod, there is not the normal hole that is on Chinese receivers.

I was wondering if you guys recognize the receiver at all? The only markings are a 14 and I believe a letter under the front sight cover.

The only other evidence I have found is the area above the threaded hole for the scope mount bolt is canted over to the right and not center. I read on another post online that is a sign of a Chinese receiver.

Basically what do you guys think, is it a forged Chinese receiver or something else?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
You need to contact Lee Emerson, who goes by the name "Different" here on this forum. He is the guru regarding all things M14, having written several books about them.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
The serial number and manufacturer of the rifle may have been removed due to this being a stolen weapon. There are severe Federal penalties for getting caught with a weapon with a defaced or removed serial number. It may be Chinese receiver but the lack of the set screw hole on the right side of the receiver raises considerable doubt. It also may be a stolen Fed Ordnance receiver, since toward the end they did use Chinese parts to build on their receivers. Hopefully Different will see this thread and give us his input. But as a cop I know that it's very bad ju-ju to get caught with a weapon that has it's serial number and manufacturer removed.

7th

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Norinco imported rifles that only had a serial number, no heel stamp, no country of origin.
I have never seen a Chinese receiver without the set screw hole in the receiver bridge.
Doesn't mean much, there is always something new to learn.

Ya got me, hope Different can help you.

Jim

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
For what it is worth, it looks like this may be a cast receiver. The flat in the rear sight receiver pocket has no tooling or machine marks, all Chinese receivers I have handled have machining marks on this flat.
The inside back portion for the clearance of the bolt looks cast. Features on the outside of the receiver also look cast not machined.
In general the machining of a Chinese receiver leaves behind very noticeable marks from the tooling, I don't see those.
Taking a swage (scientific wild a$$ guess) I believe this is a cast receiver, leads me to believe possible Fed Ord.
Having said that, thru the years it was possible to purchase receivers that were not finished from several manufacturers, one source would be when a company went out of business, they got released, another choice could be a lunch box special.

Good luck

Jim

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I looked at photos of several Federal Ordnance, Inc. and Chinese M14 receivers over a wide serial number range. This is not a Federal Ordnance receiver. It's a very early (1987-8ish) semi-automatic only Chinese M14 receiver.

·
Registered
672 Posts
IMO it’s not a Fed Ord receiver, at least not an early one. Those have a "F" inside a circle stamped on the left side and the rear sight serrations aren't as nicely machined as this one is.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One simple test, see if you can install a USGI connector lock (item #10 in the drawing) in the receiver, the Chinese used a slightly smaller pin, a USGI won't fit without polishing down the outside diameter.

http://www.chestnutridge.com/14pic.asp

Jim
Yeah I forgot to mention that. The USGI one that I had didn't fit. What I ended up doing was to take a big punch set I have and find one that fits tight in the hole. I then just cut it down and used it as the #10 piece.

With what Different said, that probably makes sense. That was sort of along the thoughts that I had and what the dealer had told me.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I have never seen a firing pin relief cut in the heel like that. I have also never seen a polytech receiver with the sight serrations cut like that all the ones ive owned had the sight serrations cut into a raised surface as opposed to the cutting them from the flush surface. I have seen one very early Chinese receiver at a gun show that was completely unmarked like yours

1 - 11 of 11 Posts