M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone I worked with was going through some of their things and found an old muzzle break/FS they had for an M14, and knowing I had one they brought it in for me.

It is was made by Fabian Bros. out of SoCal. I'm not sure just how long ago. I think 10 years or so maybe. It is held on by a regular Castle Nut, but it is in 2 sections, with threads between to connect them and and a locking nut I guess for setting the distance/angle of the porting. Also has what look like recessed spaces in the threads that look like someplace to put a set screw about half way up the threads at 12, 2, 4, 8, 10 o'clock, yet no threads on the recesses or a hole in the nut (what could they be for?)

Has anyone here ever seen one before...or better yet had experience using one? I have not put it on and tried it yet, just do to the fact that I didn't was to take off the FS and front site and swap back and forth, but I just installed one of Rooster's Spring guides (great piece by the way) and am refinishing a folder I have (with some helpful advice from SixTGunr...who also supplied the spring guide. I have to thank him again on here for being very helpful with some stock questions I had and sending the Spring guide off to me)...so I was thinking of trying it out just to see what it was like when I put things back together. Thought I'd see if anyone here ever used one and if it was worth the effort or not....Looks interesting...heavy piece.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow 8O That is bizzare 8) Maybe it's for a suppressor? "Tuning" the flash effectiveness?

Interesting, thanks for the post 8)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. I thought that as well. or perhaps they made other attachements that could thread on and off without removing the castle nut or changing the site possition.

It is a heave piece of metal for sure. I don't have a scale but would guess it weighs about as much as the FS and a MS from an M14E2 combined, maybe slightly less...but not much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Any evidence of welding? My guess is that they cut off a USGI type flash suppressor and welded up the slots enough to fill them. Then machined it down and threaded it.

My flash suppressors have slots at the clock positions you mention the depressions. Surely they didn't butcher a USGI to make it :cry: ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good thinking 2xsl_1998...

The slots are in the same possitions as the start of a GI FS's slots, but if they did weld it on there, they did a very good job with threading over it all, threads are very smooth, as is the inside. There is a ring around it of orange disscoloring I was thinking might be some corrosion, but could be from brazing or welding.

Seems like a lot of effort though when they could have cut it flush after the castle nut mount and welded on threads rather than go 1/4" out from it.

You do bring up and interesting point though...maybe that is how it was made.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
I have seen a Fabian M14,M1A muzzle brake about 10 years ago. Not like that though. In fact, Jim Clark at Clarck Custom had bought the rights and made them for awhile. They're no longer available from Clark Custom. They worked great but, I guess demand wasn't very high. I'd sure like to have one now.

That one sure gives me some ideas though. :roll:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Warbird...Cool info about Clark Customs, and also that the Fabians worked well. Thanks

I saw a post on here back in Jan. I think with a different MB by Fabian Bros. that was not in two pieces and so it obviously didn't have the option of changing the porting and fire slot distances/angles. Someone mentioned the port size not looking large enough, and I though that, but it also opens up pretty large inside that chamber under them. I really don't know enough about the physics of that stuff to know what kind of difference that makes...but sure willing to test it out if worth it :D

Wondering what kind of ideas this one is giving you?....Do they involve short barrels and lots of ammo? :lol:

I am thinking about having Smith Ent. build me a Scout/Navy barreled version on my preban SA for the folder eventually, and although I love and would deffinetly get their Vortex FS for it...if this thing actually works it might make for some fun with the folder and forward grip on a shorter barrel now and then especially given I have an order in for the ghost ring sight from them and wouldn't have to deal with changing the front site back and forth...Hmm :twisted:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nice pics Mt.Cameltoe! I have a very similar item made by SA. I think you will like it.

Mine is marked Muzzle Stabilizer and Spriogfield Armory on the bottom, but differs in external appearance because the outside diameter (0.6" OD) is consistent for the entire length. (It is NOT a USGI slip-on M14E2 Muzzle Stabilizer but appears to attempt to do the same thing, venting straight up.) It also has a compensator chamber follwed by a separate flash hider section, and it screws on and off and is held solid by a 10-32 set screw at the bottom, which locates against a single flat spot at 6 o'clock. There is no extra hex nut on the SA version or multiple dimples for the set screw.

It came with the Bush rifle which included the earlier (Beretta-type) folder. It is apparently separable to reduce length by 2.75" for parachutist use, but this one (strangely) includes a bayonet lug, which interferes with removal of the gas plug with the short barrel. I have never seen another like mine anywhere, even in pictures.

-- cw[/b]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks CW,

What you described sounds kind of like the pic I saw on here earlier this year of a different Fabian Bros. muzzle device. I did't know SA made one as well, as I have only seen their FS, slip over type MS and the newer ones like they put on the Cali versions. So, the one you have threads on and off after the castle nut and site base also, but keeps the same diameter all the way down? This one has the Bayo lug as well that would need grinding to go on a 18" as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found some new info about the piece.

It is a Fabian Bros. DTA MIL/BREAK, and from some old literature I found it says that it reduces recoil travel 32% on average for 7.62mm, decreasing group sizes by 30-50% in rapid fire, and is supposedly fully adjustable for left and right handed shooters...interesting.

Sounds like it might be worth a try at the range sometime soon :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.