M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Nice collection. I collected about ten years ago, I had a few military and ancestral blades. I had a very nice Emura signed shin gunto in military fittings. Emura was a jap prison warden that used prison labor to make swords.

I sold all of my swords on ebay back in 2004. They made a nice down payment on a new Harley Electra Glide!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice collection. I collected about ten years ago, I had a few military and ancestral blades. I had a very nice Emura signed shin gunto in military fittings. Emura was a jap prison warden that used prison labor to make swords.

I sold all of my swords on ebay back in 2004. They made a nice down payment on a new Harley Electra Glide!
Nice, I've been looking for a good emura. I've got a nagamitsu which is another big name from WWII. Understand dumping them for toys. I've considered dumping my entire blade collection to free up the cash for some land. I don't think I can do it though.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I have a WWII Japanese sword that my sister's ex - boyfriend gave to me. It's in pretty rough shape, the handle wrap has come undone and the end cap has come off.

The story he told me when he gave it to me was that his grandfather was a photographer in WWII and that he took it off of a dead Japanese soldier/officer. Not sure how taboo the issue/topic of war trophies are around here.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a WWIII Japanese sword that my sister's ex - boyfriend gave to me. It's in pretty rough shape, the handle wrap has come undone and the end cap has come off.

The story he told me when he gave it to me was that his grandfather was a photographer in WWIII and that he took it off of a dead Japanese soldier/officer. Not sure how taboo that is around here.
you can get the handle re-wrapped and you can get replacement parts. it's a bit pricey, but if the blade is nice might be worthwhile.

They had to pick them up off of deceased soldiers, but have mainly seen pictures of sailors sitting on hundreds of them. My guess is they were all gathered, then everyone had a shot at picking what they wanted. Then they were traded around for nambus or other things.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
My great uncle served in the Pacific. He said when he was leaving to go home they had stacks of rifles and swords piled up as you were getting on the boat, officers got the swords, enlisted men could pick up a Arisaka to take home.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I had the chance pick one up a short time ago I was told it was wwII but I had no idea what to look for. He wanted $300 and I was not willing to invest in a possible not wwII katana.
Is there a web sight or book that I should look into. I am interested. A nice wwII era katana will go nicely with my Patton saber.
E

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the chance pick one up a short time ago I was told it was wwII but I had no idea what to look for. He wanted $300 and I was not willing to invest in a possible not wwII katana.
Is there a web sight or book that I should look into. I am interested. A nice wwII era katana will go nicely with my Patton saber.
E
Here's a couple good starter books. They're expensive, but they pay for themselves in the long run. Much better than getting burned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swords-of-I...250?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item5667e07ee2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modern-Japa...1986717?pt=Asian_Antiques&hash=item2c7c2e8d9d

Here's a lot of reference books:

http://www.satcho.com/

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Be careful buying japanese military swords, there are some very good shin gunto and nco sword copies floating around, not to mention all of the crappy chinese copies. Reference books are your friend if you start collecting!

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Was the steel of that era truly the best of its time?

I have seen the stuff about the arisaka being the best reciever ever.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Was the steel of that era truly the best of its time?

I have seen the stuff about the arisaka being the best reciever ever.

The japanese made swords from various steels including the traditional tamahagane, different foundry steels, stainless steel for naval kai guntos and sometimes even railroad tracks. Generally the better fitted hand forged swords were of better steel. All nco swords were machine made, only the better officer shin gunto were actually hand forged. There were many swords made from improvised steels in japanese occupied areas, and quality suffered greatly with these sword, they are usually just poor copies.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Collecting pre-war katanas and so on, good ones, has always been my dream. Unfortunately the dream didn't cough up the weight-in-gold some of those swords are worth.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I've considered dumping my entire blade collection to free up the cash for some land. I don't think I can do it though.
Should you decide to go through with it, I'm willing. They will be in good hands of a kendo and iado practitioner.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If I could afford them, I wouldn't be able to for long...I'd go broke collecting. My husband and I both love them. We both have our own but they are not as nice as these. That's a nice collection. His katana is simplistic but nice. Mine is an exact replica of Michone's sword on the Walking Dead. He has a friend that is supposed to get us access to her location while she's here in Georgia to have the saya autographed. It's nice, but I will get another one day that is more for practical, everyday use...you never know when you need something that doesn't run out of ammo. :)

Reactions: btreed2

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't have any Japanese made swords (Nihonto) but I have a couple Howard Clark L6 Bainites that are treating me nice. Well, one sword and one wak on the way if ever it gets done being polished and mounted. Been over 5 years at this point! Will post a photo if it ever arrives!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Don't have any Japanese made swords (Nihonto) but I have a couple Howard Clark L6 Bainites that are treating me nice. Well, one sword and one wak on the way if ever it gets done being polished and mounted. Been over 5 years at this point! Will post a photo if it ever arrives!
Your polisher's name wouldn't happen to be Brandon Thell, is it?

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
My great uncle served in the Pacific. He said when he was leaving to go home they had stacks of rifles and swords piled up as you were getting on the boat, officers got the swords, enlisted men could pick up a Arisaka to take home.
I asked my Father who fought in New Guinea, Leyte ,and Luzon in the 38th infantry once about war trophys , he told me in his outfit they'd gather the arms and trucks from the combat engineers would haul them to the docks where they were unceremoniously dumped or thrown out. Anyone wanting one, be it Arisaka, Nambu ,or blade picked what they wanted no questions asked.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had an NCO sword that had not been well taken care of. Family had thought it would maintain it's collector value by leaving the Okinawan mud on it and allowing the leather to deteriorate and the metal to rust.

I was younger and dumber and sold it off. Now and then I get asked about it and I wish I could find a suitable replacement.

·
Registered
121 Posts
One of my family's only heirlooms is an old Japanese katana. I forget how it came to be in the family, but the most interesting part about it is the fact that the blade has been sawn off. The story goes that my grandmother and great grandparents were living in Germany during WWII. After the war ended, and the occupation began, the family decided that the sword was too valuable to turn in. So they cut off the blade and buried it in their backyard. It is now in my possession. You could tell it was at one point a beautiful piece, but time spent in the ground took its toll... I'll try and get some pictures up this evening, for anybody interested.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.