M14 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hello,
Well, If so, I'm screwed...
You mean, it hasn't ok to clean my hands with lacquer thinners as an auto body repair person? or wipe down a car with dewaxing solvents without gloves on?.... humm, 40+ yrs of not wearing gloves doing all types of mechanical and metal work of one sort or another.... and, my hands do show it... Now, I've got too watch out for Parkinson's Disease, thanks for the info Rich.
By the how are you doing? Safe and well I hope.
I am in the boat with you. My dad died of colon cancer related to asbestos before few people knew what asbestos would do to humans. All of us old people have exposed our flesh too many times to chemicals before nitrile gloves became easily available.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Hello,
Well, If so, I'm screwed...
You mean, it hasn't ok to clean my hands with lacquer thinners as an auto body repair person? or wipe down a car with dewaxing solvents without gloves on?.... humm, 40+ yrs of not wearing gloves doing all types of mechanical and metal work of one sort or another.... and, my hands do show it... Now, I've got too watch out for Parkinson's Disease, thanks for the info Rich.
By the how are you doing? Safe and well I hope.
I used to build and finish cabinets and furniture. I used to wash the oil based paint spray from my body and hair with lacquer thinner, washed my hands, arms, shoes, nostrils "dont recommend it" , and even used it to treat bad poison oak 2 times. It dried up that poison oak in 2 days. Yep, I was young and invincible back then. I do not wear a hazmat suit these days either to spray it, but I do use a respirator and avoid unnecessary exposure. So far I have had no ill effects. But, if I do, it was my own fault.

On a side note... I fried my sense of smell. Cant smell much these days, but lacquer thinner does smell sweet and turpentine smells great! All perfumes and colognes smell like paint thinner or some other chem mixture to me.
Be smart. Limit your exposure to anything not pure water.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Hello,
Workers hands: At the end of a normal day (Yesterday) only one new scrape on trigger finger knuckle .... You should see em when they are really messed up and cracked. I buy athletics tape by the 4pk....
I laugh, when the girls at the "other bank" need a thumb print.... they change weekly...

Yes, I own gloves. Just, don't wear em much....
GEDC5187.JPG
GEDC5189.JPG

Sorry, don't know why it doubled up the photos

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hello,
Workers hands: At the end of a normal day (Yesterday) only one new scrape on trigger finger knuckle .... You should see em when they are really messed up and cracked. I buy athletics tape by the 4pk....
I laugh, when the girls at the "other bank" need a thumb print.... they change weekly...
Yes, I own gloves. Just, don't wear em much....
Sorry, don't know why it doubled up the photos
I hear ya. I wear gloves when I think about it, but not always.

I've been using Dawn dishwashing liquid in a soap dispenser to clean my hands recently. Works better than regular soap on grease and it's made to be in contact with skin.

I've used plenty of lacquer thinner on my hands as well when I worked in the bodyshop. Brake cleaner at home too. Not to mention toxic fumes at work.

My brother-in-law worked as a mechanic for 20+ years, and back then nobody wore gloves. About 10 years ago, after being out of the business for more than 10 years and working in an office, he developed Leukemia. Cured now, but you have to wonder if all the exposure to gas, oil, etc. contributed.

Honda CRF150F in the background there? Front wheel looks familiar.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Hello,
Yes, Dawn and Fast Orange is my hand washing/cleaning mixture of choice, and the 3M pot scrubbing sponge for the deep cleaning....
It helps, if I put some udderly smooth cream on them to soften the dry skin up first.... before the end of day scrubbing.
And, for the overnight glove trick, I use Aquaphor. It's expensive but works wonders...
Yet, I would say my Hand Modeling days are over... Well, unless "OKeefe's Working Hands" want's a shot of them...

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Hi,
I use "Ed's Red" for bore cleaner...

Works very well and a LOT cheaper.

Still have to be careful with it, but it will remove carbon and plastic wad residue from shotguns VERY well.
57546375_2319091888416079_4704610126957379584_o.jpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Switched to electric motor cleaner. CRC use to have a "Break and Electric Motor Cleaner" but I haven't been able to find it for a long time. It didn't leave a residue like plain break cleaner.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Seagiant hit it on the head as the fastest way to remove plastic wad fouling in a shotgun barrel.
I also find the simplest way to clean the gas tube on ARs is to spray old fashioned Carb Cleaner down the tube from the receiver end,let it sit a couple of minutes to work, then shoot Brake Parts Cleaner to flush it out. Punch the bore after.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I don't use anything on my firearms that is hard on the lungs - indoors. I use break=clean on brakes..outside! LOL>

I keep track of how many rounds I fire and just mildly scrub and oil patch when I reach that point. 300 - 400 rounds. You can destroy a nice barrel by overcleaning/scrubbing.

Reactions: RealReglarGuy
21 - 34 of 34 Posts