M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a project in mind and just looking for some pictures/pointers if anyone has done it before.

I've got a 3" chunck of rail that i'd like to mount to the front underside of a GI synthetic stock, so that i can add a front grip. Anyone that's done this before care to share the particulars? Did you have to dremel or epoxy anything?

Cheers,

S

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm looking at doing something similar.

I found this online the other day:

http://sadlak.com/si_hd_front_rail.html

Looks like it might work.
I also have this setup... It's way to far forward for a vertical foregrip! Works great for bipod though! Looking for a good rail for the vertical foregrip closer the magazine well too....

·
Registered
563 Posts
pretty much anything I found you're going to have to find a 3" plus universal rail... but everywhere I've looked is sold out right now!?!

·
Registered
563 Posts
The front rail for the bipod is easy! just remove the stock mount... and put the new one on right where the old one was. as for the mounting a rail for the vertical fore-grip... you're going to have to recess the nuts into the stock with a electric drill... and have pretty short bolts to hold in place... otherwise you're barrel is going to be rubbing on the bolts/nuts... and most likely won't fit back in place... I've seen it done the right way on here, just can't seem to find the thread...

·
Registered
563 Posts
I also mounted my surefire to the foreword rail too... here's a pic. makes a nice CQB setup!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I don't think you should have a problem with this product... add it to you cart on the website and see if it'll let you... I think it automatically finds your country of origin on there...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a 3.75" rail installed under the forearm. It was a very simple affair (which is about all I can handle!)... I drilled two holes in the stock for the screws. You can't see it in the last photo, but I did use a Dremel to inlet the inside of the stock just enough for the top of the screws to fit flush with the stock material. Tighten the screws just "snug" so you don't crack the stock. Make sure to use some Blue Loc-Tite on the screws and it'll be rock solid. BTW, I set it as far aft as I dared while keeping it (reasonably) horizontal - the stcok curvature will angle it upwards if it's too far back.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have a 3.75" rail installed under the forearm. It was a very simple affair (which is about all I can handle!)... I drilled two holes in the stock for the screws. You can't see it in the last photo, but I did use a Dremel to inlet the inside of the stock just enough for the top of the screws to fit flush with the stock material. Tighten the screws just "snug" so you don't crack the stock. Make sure to use some Blue Loc-Tite on the screws and it'll be rock solid. BTW, I set it as far aft as I dared while keeping it (reasonably) horizontal - the stcok curvature will angle it upwards if it's too far back.
Nice! GI5

·
Registered
368 Posts
Want to do something like this... but to attach a magpul RVG
Should be easy enough to do. Installing a rail obviously gives you options. I currently have the AVG installed, but often attach a bipod, and can attach VFG/light, etc. Just go slow when you drill the stock because you only get one shot at that. GI7

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
That looks good. Is the rail solid with just the two bolts? any need to epoxy bed anything?
You can get an under stock rail from Thomas (M14doc) but he suggests epoxy/bedding it. I'm gonna go that route to run an afg. I'm trying to sort out a short rail for the side for my 3 point sling (same as yours, I think, spectergear?) so I can ditch my tri rail but still not use the wrap around adapter...

·
Registered
221 Posts
That looks good. Is the rail solid with just the two bolts? any need to epoxy bed anything?
I find it rock solid as is. Dremeling the stock flat under the rail helped with more surface contact and then drilling the rear hole just proud long has some tension on the rail and made it very snug.

I removed the factory sling stud with plate to give more room for my hand on the AFG. Placing the rail more to the rear would give more room between the sling and AFG but at the time I wanted room between the mag and the AFG to place my hand for carrying. I use the sling stud on Harris bipod but will add a rail to the side of the stock soon for a sling.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.