M14 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Top Burris from phone conversations with him personally, and with others who knew him. Top was at the Frozen Chosin and during a pause to either try to clear another hill or let stragglers catch up, his platoon cmdr noticed he wasn't walking really well. both of his feet were frost bitten and his plt cmdr ordered him to get in the truck because of his feet, he wasn't a Top then and he refused the order saying he could still fight. he was ordered again to get into the truck, he again refused. his plt cmdr knew he wasn't going to win this decision so he ordered Top to ride shotgun on the passenger side front fender, Top agreed to that. he had just gotten himself situated and a nearby mortar round blew off part of his right foot, the foot was mostly frozen so he wrapped in whatever he had and continued on. he served in Viet Nam and retired as an E8, he was a crusty old fart, but someone you just have to admire secretly LOL he's gone now, and many other old farts miss him

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
The Comm Chief in 1/9 was a Chosin vet. He was an E-8 and was close to retirement with plans to open a bar on Okinawa. He was short and did not go with the battalion to Khe Sanh. He had rotated by the time we left Khe Sanh and I don't know what became of him. I can't now recall his name, but he was a crusty old fart, too, and he liked to give free haircuts to anyone who would sit still long enough, bur he knew only one style, high and tight!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts