M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I am up in the great white north, and we have a plethora of Norinco m305's available. From what I can see, they come with 18.5 inch barrels, (shortest non-restricted barrel length on a rifle in Canada) and 20 inch barrels. The problem I am having is that one site lists the rifle as being 555 mm. That is 21+ inches, which would mean the barrel length is longer. I am confused with this. Adding to the confusing is that the pictures of the short barreled version seem to indicate that the short version is at least four inches shorter, instead of a measly 1.5 inches shorter.

The reason I care about this is because I hear that the 18.5 inch versions are way too loud, and I would prefer to have the longest barrel possible on my M1a. Anyone know anything about this? I tried to get specs from Norinco, but cannot find anything. Any info would be very appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
428 Posts
the " GI " norc rifles have in fact full size 22 inch barrels not 20, and yes the shorties are 18.5 inches, I have had both, I never really noticed a difference, tho a friend said the shortie was louder

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't hate us, but we have been buying Norinco and Polytech M305s for anywhere between $425 to $525 new for a number of years now…although price increases are expected. On the used market you can get tuned rifles for about the same, but you save yourself the sales tax. Of course, lots of us spend more money tricking our rifles out with new oprod spring guides and the like, so the used market price goes up accordingly.

@Karl…and the saying up here is that because they're so cheap, don't buy one, buy TWO! Get both, see which one you prefer, and then resell the other. Or get yourself to an M14 clinic and try out other guy's rifles to see which one works best for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cheapest price I can get one for is $539. The other online retailers sell theirs for in and around $600.

I could get both....that is true, although I would have to hold off on the Blackfeather RS stock I had in mind.

I don't imagine the 18.5 inch version would be louder than my 18.5 inch remington 870. They say a twelve gauge with that barrel length produces 165 dbs, whilst a 30-06 of the same barrel length produces 163 dbs. Given that the .308 is a shorter cartridge, with a tad less velocity, surely the muzzle flare couldn't be that bad. Aesthetically, I prefer shorter barrels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The guy at the store said it was an error. It is now listed at 22 inches. I bought one, as well as some ammo! I'll let you guys know how it shoots, if anyone is interested. Should be here in about 7 business days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To my knowledge no 20" barrelled Norcs have ever been commercially produced; all long barrelled Norcs are 22" since they were originally produced to imitate the standard 22" barrelled M14/M1A rifles. I suspect it's just out of laziness & simplicity that many consumers & dealers alike refer to them as 20 inchers.

I bought a Norc 18.5" shorty back in July from SFRC for $499. It has been nothing short of awesome; none of the afflictions that are common to this particular platform (aka, bad headspace, loose op rod, twisted sights, FTF/FTE, slam fires, etc.)... so far anyway lol.

Blows holes through 12" thick logs with reckless abandon & vaporizes water jugs with FMJ regularly ;) Pings nice too

P.S. It is VERY loud as far as I'm concerned although I don't know anyone else with an M14/M305 for comparison? Seems just as loud as my buddy's
.300 magnum just doesn't have as much of that sonic thump!

·
Registered
28 Posts
@karlchilders Congrats on your new purchase. There are a significant number of us up here that buy these Norcs and tune them up to squeeze as much accuracy as we can out of them on a budget. Say hi over in the Main Battle Rifle forum on CGN sometime...we won't bite.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.