M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a couple dumb questions. Who currently carries milsurp brass? I saw wideners had some isralie reloadable brass (IMI) but not anymore. Anyone else carrry it? also just wondering what powders you all use and any info on a burn rate range to stay in you may have heard. It is a gas gun after all and I am surprised at the lack of info out there in cyberland on reloading for a sks. There is some but not much.
I got 2 yugo sks's in perfect unissued looking condition. I am gonna try some 110 grain cast bullets in them but I got some hornady 123's I think too. I was also wondering if anyone has tried any 308 ballistic tips?

·
Registered
846 Posts
dan, that is so cheap of a round is why no one i know reloads it. also with the bore diameter being .311 instead of .308 the bullet choice is much more limited.

·
Registered
244 Posts
7.62 x 39........

Dan

Reloading that is ancient history for me , but as I recall I was using Sierra .311s, 123 grain, over AA 1680....24-25 grains. I was getting honest 1 1/2 " groups with a Bulgie AK at 50 yds, open, on the bench. IIRC, the Hornady's ogive was a little friendlier to seat, etc.

I just bought another Ruskie SKS, a '51 Tula, and have a renewed interest in the little Simonov.

Keep us posted if you find something good.

One nice thing about the SKS is that forgiving, oversized gas system which will shoot just about anything, right? So let us know how the big 'en shoots with some 150s :^)

·
Banned
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Other people have told me 1680 was a good choice too for the sks. I am gonna go get some and give it a try. Thanks. I found a source for IMI military brass for it too. That ought to help. Man and all these guys here think the m-14 is hard on brass. This pair of yugos will dent the crap out of the steel wolf cases it throws them so hard. Rem brass don't last long at all.

·
Registered
244 Posts
dented brass.........

I "hear tell" (Texican) that you can change the shape of the ejector rib in the receiver, but I haven't any specific directions that I've been given.
Since the receiver is mild steel that's case hardened, you'd likely have to case the ejector rib again, as I'm sure you know how to do.

With its massive extractor and equally capable ejector, I don't doubt the dents and haven't really paid too much attention, to tell the truth.

I'm just trying all kinds of ammo so I can hopefully find the "silver bullet" but the Dillon may be resurrected soon if I have no luck.

BTW, did you pick up the thread regarding the .311 VMax's sold only thru Graf and Sons?

·
Banned
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No I didn't see that. What weights do they have. It's stuff for 303's I assume. Ya know I have thought about what you said about the ejector. It is the worst on the rem brass. Really tears them up. I am gonna see how bad it is on the IMI before I mess with it. It will probably be ok. The speer bullets I have used so far worked ok but I think once I get a different powder in there they will be a lot better.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Dan I havent loaded any 762X39 for a long time,but when I did I used24.5 IMR4198 behind 123gr flat based Bullets, pulled from Chech.corrosive stuff or East German 122gr FMJ/BTs I used Win. Brass TRM.1.518 OAL.2.200 with Rem.91/2 Primers. 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.