M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Get the Governor, my uncle got a Judge and that is why I got a Governor. The Judge doesn't fit in big hands. I like the Governor for a couple of reasons, 1 it's 6 shots not 5, 2 it shoots 45 acp (and most of the rimmed 45s) and 3 the double action trigger is really smooth. The night sights are a plus too(ok it's a night sight front sight). Got to shoot mine at an outdoor range not long ago and put a bunch of different shot shells through it, the slugs are loud as heck and really powerful. It's a definite head turner when the shot shells are throwing a 12 inch fireball out of a 2-1/2 in barrel. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Well fellow Texan, I think our governor carries a Colt , Louisiana's governor carries a Smith & Wesson though.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Well fellow Texan, I think our governor carries a Colt , Louisiana's governor carries a Smith & Wesson though.
Did he change? Governor Perry used his carried Ruger LCP to shoot that coyote.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm thinking about a getting the Governor instead of the Judge. Anyone here got any thoughts on it? ONTOS
I have a Governor. First of all if given a choice between a Taurus and Smith and Wesson for equal hand gun calibers it is Smith and Wesson hands down. Smiths are the Cadillacs of wheel guns. Secondly, the governor has 6 shots versus five in the Judge, and finally the ability to shoot 45 ACP in the governor with the moon clips (provided with gun by Smith). As was said above it has night sights for the front and the action operation is Smith and Wesson quality, very smooth. Great gun. You should know the gun frame is made of high grade scandium aluminum construction and the wheel is stainless steel. I think the frame might have been Ti if Ti was not in such short supply right now. I have the blackened version which is made of a high durability coating.

My governor seems to like the Winchester PDX .410 over the less expensive Hornady. Both Winchester and Hornady make .410 shot shells designed for this type of handgun. Federal also makes a special .410 shell designed for the Governor and Taurus. Have not tried slugs with it yet.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
I wish all governors had the cajones to do a photo op shooting an AR

Did he change? Governor Perry used his carried Ruger LCP to shoot that coyote.
To the op I'd pick the S&W governor for the reasons listed above MAC I only meant this as satire on the OP's intro questioned "does anyone here have a smith & wesson governor"? But since you asked ,Don't think the Governor of Texas only has one handgun or one rifle .
View attachment 48003 Besides his "pocket pistol" Here's a few others, and he has more than a "few"

View attachment 48004

View attachment 48005

View attachment 48006

View attachment 48007

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
While I own several S&W revolvers...it's hard for me personally to still think of them as the 'Cadillac' of wheel guns...
Some of the older ones...you bet!
S&W's Custom Shop...Hell Yes!(Gunsmiths actually work on them!)
But the newer off-the shelf ones...it's a crapshoot!
I bought one with my Daughter last year...it failed very quickly!
I sent it back...they asked zero questions and sent it back with Six New Parts!
GI3
To ME...it's kinda like saying that Harley Davidson Motorcycles have always been the best---Uh, No!
Unfortunately...you just cannot count on Most manufacturers anymore to Always turn out a Quality Product!

Just My View...

CAVman in WYoming

Reactions: tonyben

·
Registered
531 Posts
Have to agree, new ones are a crapshoot. My 617 has been nothing but trouble but my 686+ has been fine. Factory triggers on my early guns are better too.

While I own several S&W revolvers...it's hard for me personally to still think of them as the 'Cadillac' of wheel guns...
Some of the older ones...you bet!
S&W's Custom Shop...Hell Yes!(Gunsmiths actually work on them!)
But the newer off-the shelf ones...it's a crapshoot!
I bought one with my Daughter last year...it failed very quickly!
I sent it back...they asked zero questions and sent it back with Six New Parts!
GI3
To ME...it's kinda like saying that Harley Davidson Motorcycles have always been the best---Uh, No!
Unfortunately...you just cannot count on Most manufacturers anymore to Always turn out a Quality Product!

Just My View...

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would take a Smith and Wesson over a Taurus any day when given the option. Every manufacturer has problems now and then. But I still stand by my assertion that Smith and Wesson makes the best wheel guns out there. I have mainly the older Smiths, the 686s and the 629s and they are great wheel guns. No complaints. I have no complaints with my recently acquired Governor.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I am about to commit sacrilege here.

I prefer the Judge.

The reason being the following:

1. The judge had less perceived recoil which was very important to my wife and daughter. Don't ask me how I don't know.

2. The judge was cheaper.

My wife thought the trigger pull was lighter (DA) on the Judge than the Governor.

The smaller cylinder actually makes it easier to carry than the Governor not to mention quicker reload time.

As for reliability, it is a revolver. You want to compare specs on the Governor as compared to the Judge on reliability go right ahead. All told I spent $419 on a stainless Judge w/3 inch barrel, fiber front sight.

They each have their pros and cons. As for not fitting large hands I disagree by the way. I am 6'5" and 320. I can palm a basketball. I like the rubber ribbed grips on the Judge because they eat up the size difference between my wife's hands and mine.

If this is a weapon that will be potentially used by different members of the family I say you should take another look at the Judge.

If you are the only one that will be using it then go with whichever one fits your hand the best.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Always wondered why a .410ga revolver is touted as a viable self/home defense gun , yet a 20ga pump shotgun is somehow inadequate.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Get the S&W. I looked at a new Judge at my local gun shop and the cylinder had a lot odf play in it. Owner told me he sent it back to the factory 3 times and it always came back this way. It was new but i was afraid that the cylinder wasn't going to line upo with the barrel when shooting. They might not all be this way. this is the only one I looked at before I bought the Governor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.