M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if anyone has one or has used one of these carbon removing tools. Looks nice, made in USA. I have the Sadlak drills, I am just looking for some feedback and opinions for these CRT tools. They also make a carbon removing tool for AR15 that seems to be in several catalogs, so I assume it must sell fairly good. Here is a link to it. I do like the hammer they make, but it is expensive.

http://www.magna-matic-defense.com/CRT-14-Carbon-Removal-Tool-for-M-14-Family-p/crt-14.htm

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
It looks like a nice tool. I was just cleaning my gas system a week ago with Sadlak's drill bits and found myself pretty squeamish about trying to twist the drill bit deep into the cylinder.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I use both. The drill bit gets the sides much better and more quickly. The CRT bottoms out and gets the last of it, though it's probably just gravy at that point.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,298 Posts
Some care must be taken when using drill bits to clean carbon out of the gas piston. The main thing is not to remove any metal. One way of preventing this is to grind the tip of the drill bit flat. The other is to use bits that are only long enough to just bottom out in the piston. I'd recommend both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.