M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an idea how to re-attach front sling swivel rivets?
I might just get a picatinny front swivel if I can't rivet them back on..............

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Hello,
You are looking for "semi tubular" rivet and the setter/tool that puts the flare/rolled outward edge on the hollow end.
A normal solid rivet setter will not work for the semi-tubular rivets. Solid rivet setters upset/mash the metal against the burr/washer for a domed head. Semi-tubular rivets take less force to set...
Two different style rivets, two different type of setting tools. You can try looking at "rivetsinstock.com" or other sites on line.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
you can find the tools you will need at Tandy Leather and Brettuns Village Leather Crafts. At Brettuns you can find the rivetts;; Now to do the job right you will need another person to hold the stock still , as you hold the tools and the hammer. And you have to hit lightly so you do not crack the stock . I have done around 4-5 stocks.

·
Premium Member
5,124 Posts
If you drilled out the rivets, you most likely cannot reuse them. Hawk used to offer replacement correct type rivets but is out of them. I may have a few if you want to go that route. Easiest is the screws mentioned by others above.
I have a rivet setting tool made by a guy and sold on ebay. Officially made to replace brake pads on John Deere tractors, but happens to have a punch that is the correct size for the sling swivel rivets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts