M14 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reason I ask is that a lot of the AR 10 platforms seem to be settling in on a 20" barrel as the standard for a Designated Marksman set up. Argument on the pro side seems to be the increase over 16 or 18" provides extra reach at longer ranges, and that the loss of velocity and range compared to a longer barrel does not make a big difference one way or another, especially with a heavy barrel.

I'd imagine getting the sights right might be a challenge, but other than that would it be worth the effort?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I asked this question a while back. My ideal was to have the barrel shortened and threaded to put on a standard ar muzzel brake and use a SEI GLFS for a back up site as my rifle would be scoped. The few answers recieved were why?

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Major Jim, I think most of us are strongly opinionated about barrel length. I think the 18" is great, others wouldn't have anything but a 22". I doubt that splitting the difference would gain you anything.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I can't think of an answer, ya or nay. Smarter people then me choose a 22 inch barrel. Now some chose to have 16 and 18 inch barrels. I have an AR 10 type with a 24 inch, its purpose is long range. If you want to go with a 20 inch I say go for it. After you get up let us know how she shoots and handles. I like to experiment on things too. Good Luck.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah, I have to agree w/ Al Mack.

If it strikes your fancy to build a 20" I say go for it. It really shouldn't be all that difficult, and it would certainly be unique.

I'm not real sure what it would get you, one way or the other. Conceivably it might be more accurate than a 22" .. but it would likely be very hard to get the rest of the gun tuned properly in order to notice it.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I have shortened barrels to 17, 18.5 and 19 inches with 19 being my favorite. These are surplus light weight and medium weight match barrels, non chrome lined. I thread them 1/2X28 for an M16 flash hider and attach a modified HK G3 rifle front sight to the rear of the flash hider. Works great for me.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have shortened barrels to 17, 18.5 and 19 inches with 19 being my favorite. These are surplus light weight and medium weight match barrels, non chrome lined. I thread them 1/2X28 for an M16 flash hider and attach a modified HK G3 rifle front sight to the rear of the flash hider. Works great for me.
Sounds neat, could you post some pics?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Sounds interesting. Any pics of this setup?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts