M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a brake machined for the threads of the gas lock/comp that comes factory on the SOCOM 16.

I need a custom brake for 40 TPI to replace the factory comp/sight. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE is willing to make one for me. I've even contacted shops that specialize in custom threads/brakes but they say they can't do it.

Nevermind the need for a gas lock.. I'm working on an improved gas plug that doesn't need the gas lock.

I also said on an earlier post that I was soon to be deployed. That is still true but thanks to management my date keeps shifting. Oorah Marine Corps.

So... anyone have an idea who could do this for me? and time is of the essence. THANKS!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Do you have the muzzle brake in hand that you want to use? Sometimes its easier if you simplify what you want done. Go to any competent machinist, hand them a standard muzzle brake with 1/2-28 threads and they should be able to open it up and cut new threads in it.

When you say the words "custom brake" many guys might be thinking make one from scratch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saiyan66,

Are you positive that would work given the barrel diameter and all?

No, I don't have a brake in hand but all the brakes I can find in 1/2" x 28 are for .223/5.56. Unless you're saying I should bore out the internals of the brake too...

·
Registered
826 Posts
The gas lock threads on the barrel are .670" -20 (weird size but not 40tpi). A 1/2" -28 brake should have a small enough diameter that it can be drilled out and re-threaded to that size without any problem. Some brakes (like SEI) are large enough for .30 cal without boring out while others will need to be bored for proper clearance.

P.S. I am not a professional machinist, but as I see it there should be no physical reason (short of tooling complications) that this cannot be done. Also what is your reason for wanting to ditch the gas lock and fab your own gas plug?

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
The gas lock threads on the barrel are .670" -20 (weird size but not 40tpi). A 1/2" -28 brake should have a small enough diameter that it can be drilled out and re-threaded to that size without any problem. Some brakes (like SEI) are large enough for .30 cal without boring out while others will need to be bored for proper clearance.

P.S. I am not a professional machinist, but as I see it there should be no physical reason (short of tooling complications) that this cannot be done. Also what is your reason for wanting to ditch the gas lock and fab your own gas plug?
That's not for a SOCOM, that's the gas lock threads on a standard or a scout rifle. The gas lock and brake are a one piece unit on the SOCOM and they screw on to the end of the barrel using a 43/64 “ x 40 thread.

Several companies make adapters for the SOCOM to convert it from the 43/64 “ x 40 thread to a standard 5/8"- 24 thread. I currently use an adapter from Delta P Design
https://www.deltapdesign.com/socom-muzzle-adapter.html

and I've also got an adapter made by Gemtech (they no longer make them).

I like the Delta P Design better for a couple of reasons but most importantly it allows me to switch the sights over to standard iron sights (both front and rear) and still use a normal number of clicks of elevation for the different ranges.

I installed a VG6 Gamma 7.62 brake on to the Delta P adapter on my SOCOM

Reactions: CAVman

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
By the way, if you like the Gemtech PM me, I've got a spare.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
RAMMAC,
Is the height of the front sight base on the Delta adapter higher, or is it lower than the height of the Gemtec's?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses gentlemen.

The reason I want this custom brake is to do away with the gas lock completely, as well as the front sight. I am running a completely slick rig and I don't want the extra length/weight of the adapters. I know this is an odd request but that's how I want this build to be.

I'm cutting the gas lock in half and using the half that secures behind the plug, discarding the rest. That allows me to use a custom brake and crush washer to tighten up the band/cylinder. No more unitizing/shim issues either.

Thanks again gents.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
RAMMAC,
Is the height of the front sight base on the Delta adapter higher, or is it lower than the height of the Gemtec's?
The Delta P is a lot lower, that's why I'm using it. With the Delta P the standard height iron sights work like they do on the 22 inch barrel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts