M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are having an Appleseed at the TopGun range in Leonard, TX 13-14AUG.

I don't know if they are taking us out to 500yds, but the Socom and I are hoping so... GI1

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am over here in GA, so I won't be making it, but I can guarantee you will have a great time. One of the primary things to bring is a GI web sling if you have one or can get one. I have a Turner that works well too, but the fundamentals are built around the USGI web sling style.

Not sure if you have been to one before, but drink plenty of water and be prepared to have a blast.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Appleseed in N Texas

I won't be there instructing either although there will be a great AS crew from N Texas running it. No, nothing of Appleseed is beyond 25 yrds, however I understand after AS is over Sat evening and then Sun afternoon, the owners of Top Gun may allow some shooting from regular firing points. Although I also understand they want to "qualify" shooters that want to go beyond 100.

You planning to shoot the big gun for AS? Do you have a 10/22, if so I'd recommend bringing it along with a brick of CCI low velocity 22LR. Yall are gonna shoot allot of rounds Sat working on NPOA and positions, then Sunday allot more at AQTs. And yes, if you have and or can get a GI web-sling bring it. AS is fundemental "old-school-Army" rifle marksmanship which the web-sling is intregal. If you haven't already, check this out http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=101.0

And yes, bring lots of water and anything else to make it bareable. GI2

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You planning to shoot the big gun for AS? Do you have a 10/22, if so I'd recommend bringing it along with a brick of CCI low velocity 22LR. Yall are gonna shoot allot of rounds Sat working on NPOA and positions, then Sunday allot more at AQTs. And yes, if you have and or can get a GI web-sling bring it. AS is fundemental "old-school-Army" rifle marksmanship which the web-sling is intregal. If you haven't already, check this out http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=101.0
I have a good leather GI sling on the Socom, I just got an adjustable nylon one today for my AR (no one carries a standard GI sling, and I couldn't get to a gunshow in time...) but my 10/22 doesn't have a sling, in fact, it doesn't even have a stud up front, (it does have TechSights, however!)

I don't really know how everything is going to play out so I thought I would bring all three and use what I thought would work best. Maybe I need to at least get some swivels for the 10/22 and just swap the sling....

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a good leather GI sling on the Socom, I just got an adjustable nylon one today for my AR (no one carries a standard GI sling, and I couldn't get to a gunshow in time...) but my 10/22 doesn't have a sling, in fact, it doesn't even have a stud up front, (it does have TechSights, however!)

I don't really know how everything is going to play out so I thought I would bring all three and use what I thought would work best. Maybe I need to at least get some swivels for the 10/22 and just swap the sling....
You can't count on it but most of the instructors will have slings to loan and many, like me, will have studs as well. We try to run full distance on Sunday afternoons but that's not possible on many ranges and it leaves out those who only have .22's. Other than reading the wind and knowing your rifles comeups for different ranges, if you do something that throws off a shot 1 MOA at 25, you'll be 1 MOA off at 1000 and you'll see that without hoofing so far! :)

Most 10-22's will eat lots of different ammo. As with any rifle, they all have their quirks with no set rules of thumb between them so I'm not sure where the suggestion of LV ammo for the 10-22 comes from? Find what works in YOUR GUNS....O.L.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sooooo... it hasn't rained here in north Texas for something like 500 days, and this is the first day of Appleseed.... what do you think I woke up to?

Be just like Fort Leonard Wood all over again...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sooooo... it hasn't rained here in north Texas for something like 500 days, and this is the first day of Appleseed.... what do you think I woke up to?

Be just like Fort Leonard Wood all over again...
Rifleman are tough! Get out there and SMILE! :)...O.L.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rain doesn't bother me, wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last... but it sure made a mess of the range.

Well, I shot an unofficial 204 on the AQT with the 10/22, I accidentally shot 3 rounds at the 1st 400yd target (instead of just 2, so that 3rd round didn't count) which is the only reason I didn't make 210 the first go-around.

Back tomorrow, plan on shooting either the AR or the Socom.

Reactions: Xsail

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's not shabby! :) Very few shoot the score first time out, in fact the average is 3 shoots to get the patch. Give em hell tomorrow!...O.L.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hot damn! I got my Rifleman patch! I actually shot 3 consecutive +210 scores... 217, 220 and 211 with my AR.

I shot Saturday with the 10/22, but it's not my favorite rifle, to say the least, and I struggled with it in the prone position. The AR fits me better and that's what I started with Sunday. In the 100F sun it got so hot I could hardly hold on to the silly thing, though.

First-class instruction all the way. Once we were grinding out the AQT's it seemed like every set or so one of the instructors would tweak one little thing... and that's what made the difference.

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's good shootin! I've seen folks struggle to get over that mark but once they do, it's like childs play, one after another. Don't back off, keep working on the fundamentals, you'll be amazed how much better you can get. Work with your 10-22, get to where you can pick up most anything and shoot those scores. Congrats! ....O.L.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.