M14 Forum banner

Anyone familiar with NW Indiana Crown Point?

2116 Views 14 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Sorry Dude
I’m considering a move to the Crown Point area of NW Indiana.
Due to unforeseen changes in life I’d like to lower my costs.
Any and all information about the good and bad for the area is appreciated.

Also , where are the good ranges.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,326 Posts
What? You mean Illinois ain't cheap? What do they do with all that tax money? I'll be moving to Michigan when I retire in few years. I worked really hard in construction my whole life but I'm not paying crazy taxes. Mail my money to Michigan.
Try Willow Slough Gun Range in Morocco let me know how it is.

· Registered
320 Posts
Not really familiar with Crown Point. Driven through it a few times. Seems to have just about everything you could need. They even have a Portillos in Merrillville.

Haven't been to the shooting range at Willow Slough. But it looks just like the one that I go to in Huntington. Nice lanes and benches. And only $4/day or I think the year pass is $80 (if it's priced the same as Huntington). It's a nice property, used to dove hunt up there quite a bit.

· Registered
1,362 Posts
What? You mean Illinois ain't cheap? What do they do with all that tax money? I'll be moving to Michigan when I retire in few years. I worked really hard in construction my whole life but I'm not paying crazy taxes. Mail my money to Michigan.
Try Willow Slough Gun Range in Morocco let me know how it is.
Pensions are taxed @ 4.25%, unless it's derived from a Michigan public pension. Property taxes are also more expensive than some of the surrounding states. There is an exemption, but if it's private sector, it's taxable.

Oh, and BTW, the gasoline tax is about to go up, in order to pay for the years neglected roads. Michigan's roads are near the bottom in quality.

· Registered
649 Posts
Not really familiar with Crown Point. Driven through it a few times. Seems to have just about everything you could need. They even have a Portillos in Merrillville.

Haven't been to the shooting range at Willow Slough. But it looks just like the one that I go to in Huntington. Nice lanes and benches. And only $4/day or I think the year pass is $80 (if it's priced the same as Huntington). It's a nice property, used to dove hunt up there quite a bit.
Portillos is the most important issue.

· Registered
1,326 Posts
Pensions are taxed @ 4.25%, unless it's derived from a Michigan public pension. Property taxes are also more expensive than some of the surrounding states. There is an exemption, but if it's private sector, it's taxable.

Oh, and BTW, the gasoline tax is about to go up, in order to pay for the years neglected roads. Michigan's roads are near the bottom in quality.
Pendennis, Illinois is at the bottom or near the bottom of every category. when states are compared. Michigan, Wisconsin and Indiana fare much better than Illinois. I have 1 1/2 acres and a 2,600 square foot house and pay $10,000.00 a year in property tax. Illinois gas tax is .38 cents a gallon sales tax is 6.25% with most counties and town adding on to that. Illinois also has 250 Billion!( yes billon with a B) in unfunded pension liability that the courts said they can't screw the working people out of. Michigan has to be better than that.

· Registered
1,362 Posts
Pendennis, Illinois is at the bottom or near the bottom of every category. when states are compared. Michigan, Wisconsin and Indiana fare much better than Illinois. I have 1 1/2 acres and a 2,600 square foot house and pay $10,000.00 a year in property tax. Illinois gas tax is .38 cents a gallon sales tax is 6.25% with most counties and town adding on to that. Illinois also has 250 Billion!( yes billon with a B) in unfunded pension liability that the courts said they can't screw the working people out of. Michigan has to be better than that.
No argument there. Yes, your property taxes seem very high.

The "new" governess, has her own ideas as to funding road repairs. She wants huge increases in the road taxes, something the Republican legislature is dead set against. She want to increase the current $.187 cents/gal, by a whopping $.45/gallon, and that's on top of a current 6% sales tax on gasoline.

The pensions are underfunded, but not to the extent of Illinois, though. There have been efforts to move employees and teachers to 401k-type plans but that's being fought by the public sector unions. It won't be long before Michigan will be in the same boat as Illinois when it comes to pension liabilities.

I retired in 2007, and stayed in Michigan, partly on the basis that my pension would be state tax free. However, Rick Snyder persuaded the legislature to institute income taxes on baby boomers. They complied, both candidates promised, last year, to remove the tax. Hmmmm. Still waiting.

Like other states, as soon as someone mentions that taxes are "for the children", everyone gets rubber-kneed, and insists that we don't spend enough on education.

· Registered
10,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your getting a deal in Will county compared my real estates taxes in crook county. I’m pushing 12k for a townhome that I don’t own the land.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.