M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once upon a time I fired a Thompson Center contender with a 10" barrell in 30-30 Winchester. Once was enough. The shock went up my right ulna and felt like it would blow out my elbow.

So, I am interested to know how a .308 out of a folder compares. Anyone care to share?

·
Registered
966 Posts
A TC contender has no action to absorb the recoil. So the felt recoil will be less in a rifle with a gas action. But most likely not pleasant and not very controllable. At least in a 7.62X51. In the 7.62X39, not a problem at all.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Yes, I've got a Choate folder that I use on one of my M1A's. Not a tack driver in that configuration and use style, but controllable for close up work.

The big problem with the 7.62 X 51 for close in work is overpenetration. You'd better have a good handle on what your backstop is. Also remember the if the projectile hits something that doesn't give then that projectile is going to go somewhere, usually back in the direction from which it came.............

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
I have a Thompson contender in 30-30 also in 45-70 which has a three ring mount to hold the scope on. Now you say does recoil bother me, well, I also have a 45-70 Derringer. I shoot my M14 squad automatic from the hip, to me it is very controllable but you do have to get used to it. Now to answer your question, I think it really has more to do with your own attitude, and the weight of the gun than it has to do with whether you shoulder or don't shoulder. The other thing is if the intended purpose is to fold it for intrusion in to a building, cave, or tunnel it is likely you won't even remember the recoil. GI2GI2MCORPS1

-

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
The other thing is if the intended purpose is to fold it for intrusion in to a building, cave, or tunnel it is likely you won't even remember the recoil. GI2GI2MCORPS1
-
Isn't it amazing how getting shot at takes your mind off the small stuff? GI2

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Folders

I have shot several M14 type rifles with folding stocks and some of them in the folded position. My only comment is what's the point. You can't hold up the rifle and aim it well with the stock folded. It may be OK for a snap shot, but don't expect to hit anything.

As far as the .308 goes, I've shot it in a single shot pistol (not a TC) and found it wasn't bad. I was surprised at how manageable it was. On the other hand, my Remington M40 pounds me pretty good with it's aluminum butt plate. 20 rounds in a T-shirt is about all I care to handle. I also have a Remington 40XC target rifle that is very comfortable to shoot. That has a lot to do with weight. More weight, less felt recoil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts