M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased mine about 20 years ago, and it's a fine shooter, with nice wood, and with that fabulous 6.5X55 cartridge. Too bad American hunters just don't get it with 6.5s . (I also made one of my own custom MesaRifleWorks Highlander thumbholes in 6.5-06 Ackley, which is a rocket!)

The Swede 6.5mm cartridge is used a lot in Sweden by deer and moose hunters, it being noticeably better ballistically than the venerable .303 Brit.

My Ljungman's bore disc shows it was in pretty good shape, and it shoots, with those lovely adjustable sights, into about 1.5" @ 100.

I may have to sell it to fund up my newer M1A "habit", however, I also may deeply regret it, since they are getting a bit rare. I don't like that feeling you get, about 2 - 3 years after you've sold a perfectly great rifl;, that... OMG, you really shouldn't have, just to pay the electric utilities bill, which you'll just have to come up with the $$$ and pay anyhow, right?
GI5
Someone stop me!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Stopping you would put me in a delima...If you do decide to sell I would be happy to be part of the discussion!!

The Swede is my go to rifle for Vintage Bolt competition. The cartridge is deadly accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

I have 3x 96's, a 96/38 and a true 38 (well and a 96 that is marked as having seen Finn service).

The Ljungman has intrigued me it's good to hear that it shoots like the others.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Don't part with it, never sell guns unless your upgrading to the same gun. I regret doing it and never will do it again i promise i won't ever sell anything.

My story is i was out of work and needed cash to repair a tractor. Once the tractor is up and running i could sell that. I parted with a Colt 1911a1 series 70 goverment model in nickel finish figuring i could replace it at anytime. I didn't think about it being discontinued.

Like i said never, never sell anything.

I have a swedish Ljungman AG42b husqvarna in 6,5mm swede(6,5mmx55mm) for many years now and i never shot it yet. I have the egyptian rasheed in 7,62x39 which is a smaller scaled down ljungman and i never shot this one too yet. I have a Egyptain Hakim in 8mm mauser which is the ljungmans big brother and this one gets in the car first for every trip to the range. This Hakim was manufactured on the swedish ljungman machines that were sold to the egyptians. This 8mm mauser behometh is some loud semi auto rifle. Once you learn how to adjust the adjustable gas valve to the ammo were shooting its a hoot to shoot. I have to take the hakim to the range and fire at least one mag out of it.

These three swedish designed rifles together make anawesome picture. If you have one you have to get all three thats the surplus law right? Just kidding but i wanted all three and finally found the swede ljungman which was the hardest one to find here. I have 5 hakims at the present, i did sell one, i had 6 total for a while. My kids will inherit them for sure.

In europe the 6,5mm swedish round is used for the reindeer too besides the moose. My swedish 1907 Carl Gustaf M96(29'' barrel) was at the range one day shooting near some SWAT guys. One of them seen my 1 1/2'' groups at 100yds shot benchrested with no scope and they were shocked when one of them came over to see what i was shooting with no scope with this kind of accuracy. I told him a 100 year old swedish mauser and his jaw dropped. The rest is history. Its not only the 6,5mm swedish round its the swedish steel these awesome guns are made from too. The swede's are well known for the finest quality steels in the world. Bigbill

BTW; As far as american hunters my buddy's are into the latest and newer wizzbang calibers and thats ok for someone has to own them. When we compare some newer calibers to the older calibers there isn't much difference. When hunting dead is dead right?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't have a AG42B, but my father did a few years back. I now have a bunch of NIW parts and surplus ammo without the rifle. I remember shooting the rifle as a young boy, fun to shoot. I hates the business end. You thought Garand thumb was bad!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Man I wouldn't sell it. I ended up here because I'm looking to buy one. I was about to add a DPMS LR308 to my crew of tools (the .223/5.56 just ain't gettin it done) when I "rediscovered" the old Swede by accident.

I've never even held a round in my hand much less fired one, but after copious reading and videos I'm convinced this is the round I want. I really want an AG42B but I might end up with a bolt. I'm also considering building one but that can be a minefield for a non-armourer like me.

So did you end up keeping it or selling it?

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I don't remember the details but wasn't there some connection between the Ljungman rifle and Browning's A5 shotgun? The recoil-operated action?

The Swede bolt guns are phenomenal shooters. The Swiss K31's, too.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I don't remember the details but wasn't there some connection between the Ljungman rifle and Browning's A5 shotgun? The recoil-operated action?

The Swede bolt guns are phenomenal shooters. The Swiss K31's, too.
The finnish mosins in 7,62x54r are right up there in accuracy with the swedish mausers and the swiss k31's too. The finnish mosins were capruted russian mosins and reworked and shimmed till they shoot 1" moa's at 100yds. Be very careful if you take a finnish mosin down to clean it for its been shimmed under the trigger guard / receiver. Don't under estimate the accuracy of some of the russian mosins too these $69 to $119 rifles just may surprise you too. As some have found out already most these old war horses can shoot accurately too. Bill

Sorry for the extra letters and numbers in my words sometimes this new dell key board has much lower keys height wise it sucks because i hit more than one key unless i point my finger straight, sorry.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm going to shoot the snots out of this key board someday when i get the next new puter if it makes it that far. The funeral could be much sooner. Its 12ga buck vs key board, of course we'll have to you tube it too. Well throw it up in the air like a UFO and blast it out of the sky.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
The finnish mosins in 7,62x54r are right up there in accuracy with the swedish mausers and the swiss k31's too. The finnish mosins were capruted russian mosins and reworked and shimmed till they shoot 1" moa's at 100yds. Be very careful if you take a finnish mosin down to clean it for its been shimmed under the trigger guard / receiver. Don't under estimate the accuracy of some of the russian mosins too these $69 to $119 rifles just may surprise you too. As some have found out already most these old war horses can shoot accurately too. Bill
Our Soldiers and Marines in the rockpile are still going up against Moisons. 8 mm Mausers and .303 British, too.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Our Soldiers and Marines in the rockpile are still going up against Moisons. 8 mm Mausers and .303 British, too.
This is how they beat the russians by making longer shots from up on the ridges. Its our 50cal barrets and the air strikes that were using against them is why were doing better. When they first interviewed the taliban before the first war they showed the old russian mosins and the old britts to the news man. I told my sons we have those old rifles too.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I just love the 6.5 and it only took one match to sell me. I shot my first at Bisley in the UK and could not sit still till I found one just like it. Then it went from there,,LOL.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Our guys call in an air strike and duck. This is also why the m14's are being brought back in too. They can shoot farther than the m16 and more accurately farther out too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I may have to sell it to fund up my newer M1A "habit", however, I also may deeply regret it, since they are getting a bit rare.
"Deeply regret" is something I've experienced since I sold my HK-91 to fund a jet-ski. I wasn't shooting the HK that much, prefering the more ergonomic and cheaper to shoot AR-15.
The jet ski was a blast for a while but I eventually got bored with it and stopped using it then sold it. I don't really miss that much it but I DO miss that H&K and the prices of them have gone up to more than I'm willing to spend.

I have a Ljungman, too. Definitely a cool rifle but even though I don't shoot it very often I won't sell it.

If at all possible sell something else for M1a funds or save up for it.
It might take longer to get the M1a project done but then you'll still have it AND the Ljungman.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.