M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew I wanted an M1A, but the price....eh...

I looked at the Ruger Scout, the Mini 30, the Arsenal Saiga, Remington 700's....

At the end of the day I came back to the M1A and decided to suck it up for what I really wanted. It was the only way, otherwise I'd always regret it. Also, I wanted the reliability (I hope) and proven battlefield design of this weapon.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I looked at the PTR the HK 91 clones several times with cash in hand. I could not get pass the ty trigger on them. Now I have a all GI Springfield and a All matching H&R LRB. I almost have enough parts for a 3rd build. M14s are were its at for me.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,124 Posts
Anyone consider a different gun before purchasing their M1A?
No!DI5

Reactions: TheTurtle

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I had several vintage ORIGINAL miloitary surplus AR 10 rifles before I got my first M14.

The AR 10 [ more modern remington R25 version ] is still my favorite military type semi auto rifle, for faster handling and easier accuracy.

But the M14, especially an M14 shorty in a folding stock, is a close second, and truthfully, over the decades, I've owned wayyyyy more M14 type rifles than AR 10s.
LAZ 1

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
No, M1A was the lust of my life and still is. I do like the Ruger Scout though...nice looking rifle and wouldnt mind having one for hunting here in the Florida brush. Listen to Juggernaut...save you money, buy a standard and start adding all USGI parts...you'll have a shooter before you know it!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I hade the same situation between a 1954 M1 Garand and My SA Inc. M1A NM but the price tag on that particular M1 screamed to much for what its worth (haha $1,200 for a rack grade at best). So for only $200 more i went with the M1A and I will never regret that decision.

·
Registered
938 Posts
My friend found an M1a with a broken stock at a AZ gun show for 450$ and another one for 650$. There are good deals out there............you just have to be in the right place with the cash!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yeah, I've been a fan of DS Arms SA 58 (very upgraded FAL) for a long time. I've never seen one in person or in a shop but I did get to swing a Scout before I bought it. The Scout had a cheap plastic stock and was pretty basic.... considering the money I spent later on accessories, it would have been cheaper buying the SA 58 than turning my Scout into one. Oopsie. I must have gotten a little carried away. USN3

But, I'm really happy with it. Besides, this is the coolest forum I've ever seen.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Ummm, let me think,.........NO!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Actually, I considered the DSA too, they are really, really nice.........but there counter sniper variant is more expensive than my LRB and the accuracy is not even close to the M14.

Yeah, I've been a fan of DS Arms SA 58 (very upgraded FAL) for a long time. I've never seen one in person or in a shop but I did get to swing a Scout before I bought it. The Scout had a cheap plastic stock and was pretty basic.... considering the money I spent later on accessories, it would have been cheaper buying the SA 58 than turning my Scout into one. Oopsie. I must have gotten a little carried away. USN3

But, I'm really happy with it. Besides, this is the coolest forum I've ever seen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to my local shop with the intention to buy an AR-15, hanging right above the one I intended to get was a Springfield loaded M1A. At the time I already had an AR at home and I thought to myself "I don't have one of those. I really like that." The ARs have come and gone but the M1A has remained ever since. Last week I put it into an EBR stock, I ran across this place while deciding if I should buy the stock.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I ran across this place while deciding if I should buy the stock.
Well than welcome to the forum, hope you find all that you need and enjoy.

The only other rifle that i think that i might have walked out of the store with rather than an M1A would be a FAL but my friend bought that the same day i went. ICONSAD

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
There are guns other than the M1A? GI3GI3GI3

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
I knew I wanted an M1A, but the price....eh...

I looked at the Ruger Scout, the Mini 30, the Arsenal Saiga, Remington 700's....

At the end of the day I came back to the M1A and decided to suck it up for what I really wanted. It was the only way, otherwise I'd always regret it. Also, I wanted the reliability (I hope) and proven battlefield design of this weapon.
Yes I did consider a different gun other than a M1A but couldnt find it at the right price, it was a Real M14 with a FUN BUTTON!!DI5

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Yep, looked at the PTR. Liked it but it, but the price was just slightly less then the M14.
Got a Saiga 308, converted it and loved it, but it was not an M14.
Sold it, saved up and got me an M14, what I wanted.

Nothing compares.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
tough ? i dont regret getn the garnd from cmp and i had it 1st but once i had that out of the way i had it narrowed down between m1a and fal, if the dsa fal's wernt about as much $ as a m1a mebbe would've got one but i definitly like m1a better and am very honored to finally have one. i never really looked into the ar side of 7.62 just think aluminum receivers better off for 5.56 but really nothin to back that up, just opinion.

i think fal's are to m1a's as sks's are to ar15's! at least as far as price goes. but that aint how it is and thats why i dont own one.

m14 hands down! worth every penny (from a workin man with 6 mouths to feed!!!)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Good grief. Not only considered but did have all sorts of things before an M1A. Then opened my yap about wanting an "all TRW M1A" sometime around 1988. The guy in LE sales overheard me and said something like: "I've got one up in Virginia that I'm not using. I'll show it to you if you're interested when we're up in D.C." (Installing night sights on ALL of the PD's pistols.) Held it, bought it, didn't shoot it, sold it to a friend, bought another, shot that one, and finally beat it back out of my friend's possession sometime in the '90s. Marginal accuracy. UNTIL...Bought a craptastic FedOrd thing just to get the stock. Sold the FedOrd immediately, but now the package is quite pleasing:

A favorite photo, so if it looks famliar...

Not the most accurate, light, or most shot, but it's my first M1A, and STILL a favorite rifle.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.