M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 635 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was one of those foolish enough to buy some when it was 50.00 but I see it's now 17.00 or so I'm thinking of buying some more.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
If you're buying silver, where are the best deals now? If you're selling, PM me...I may be interested.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I collect those Morgan Silver Dollars, too, a habit (good habit) acquired from my Dad.

Otherwise, the only commodity I want under personal physical possession is ammo, common military (U.S., UN and combloc) calibers, non-corrosive. The way I look at it, WE are free N America's supply, not Walmart or the internet or LGS. Any of them could be shut down in a heartbeat. Yeah, I've heard it, I must be storing tinfoil, too.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I am not an 'expert' but buying silver now seems like a good idea. Even to an idiot like me the price of gold is being manipulated. With the printing of so much money by the federal reserve, the value of real money should be skyrocketing. I bought some gold about 6 years ago, but won't buy more now. Silver coins looks like the best bet. Disclaimer, I have been wrong most of the time I make a statement like this.

John

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The way i see it Silver and gold are long term investments, $17 is a good deal now, but could go lower, if you look at it like its something to protect you financially then by it and put it away and forget about it.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I am not an investment guru, but as I see it, in General Gold and Silver are not 'investments' in the traditional sense of the word. You can ride the spikes and buy low and sell high, and if you sold at $50 you could have made a killing, but in general they are long term low risk wealth stores. If you buy now, it should have atleast as much purchasing power when you goto sell it. Because they have intrinsic value, unlike a non-dividend stock which is just a piece of paper...

For example in the 20s an ounce of silver would buy you 2 high end suits. About the same as today.

I think it's never a bad idea to pick some up whenever possible. It's easily converted later if needed.

Justin

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
It costs about $16 to bring an ounce of silver out of the ground.

Reactions: sfoxwell

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I started buying silver dollars when I was a teenager. I have a few.GI1 I agree it's time to buy. I also have a small pile of copper and brass scrape.

When the SHTF and the economy/civilization collapses , what good is gold and silver?

Where do ya keep it? How do ya spend it? Who sets the value?

Is everyone gonna carry a scale and file?

The US Gov't outlawed the civilian ownership/possession of gold before. They could always do it again.

By Executive Order even!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
When the SHTF and the economy/civilization collapses , what good is gold and silver?

The US Gov't outlawed the civilian ownership/possession of gold before. They could always do it again.

By Executive Order even!
Gov't can out law what they want. Value will be set the same way as always. It doesn,t spoil so I keep it wherever I think is safe and for as long as I need to. Moving large quantities is a problem. I can think of worse problems. I can carry small amounts around in pockets. This is not a permanent solution, just a means of short term survival. I know people that have enough canned goods and bottled water to last for years. There are problems with that too.
I'm open for suggestions. What else should I be putting back?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The government can, through Executive Order or legislative action, outlaw just about anything at any time. The EO or law may be illegal under our Constitution, but until it is repealed by court decision or public force, it stands and will be enforced to the extent resources are applied.

The point is, if citizens lose faith in the fiat currency, the government may try to appropriate private stores of wealth (precious metals). But, the underground economy will recognize these private wealth forms and they will become the true currency. People won't give up their wealth easily. And I believe independent thinking people will see any confiscation attempt for what it is - absolute power and an effort at total control.

In short, would you willing to comply if the government outlaws private ownership of precious metals?

I agree all physical forms of wealth pose problems of storage, transportation, and transaction, but those are small compared to no wealth at all. Then you are a subject of a tyrannical government, not a citizen.

I think $17 silver is a good price. I prefer American Eagles and other forms of silver currency (old American dimes, quarters, half dollars, etc.) I also think gold isn't far off from its lowest price, but $1230 an ounce isn't cheap. The preferred coinage is American Eagles, any denomination. I also like platinum because of its industrial uses as well as precious metal. Not inexpensive, however. But its cheaper now than its been in a long time.

By the way, I'm usually wrong on the buy/sell decisions on a short term basis. For the long term, I look at these purchases as private stores of wealth and insurance. History is on my side with respect to those two factors.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Only the Big Boys get buy-outs (with our money), so commodities in your hand is a good thing. Oil is down over $20 bbl.

If the SHTF, lead will be the trading commodity. But before that happens, there will be an interim time in which money will be exchanged at high volumes. First the paper, then silver, then gold.

Silver is always a safe (yet heavy) investment.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you're concerned about SHTF then you need to honestly assess where PMs (precious metals) fit in, if at all. IMO you'll be hard pressed to convince someone to part with a needed item for "metal" while things are "ugly". However, they will have a place in the "reconstruction" as the historic measure of wealth/value.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I purchased some gold locally when it was $136 an oz (paid scrap prices for it) then turned around and sold it to a smelter for $500 an oz when prices began to rise. Personally, I'm not buying now because precious metals (including silver) don't represent a good value for my money anymore.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
If you think now is the time to buy, you might want to do a bit of reading on how a strong dollar (or stronger) effects dollar denominated commodity prices. After doing that reading and evaluating our current interest rates, then make a decision.

I spoke to someone about 4 weeks ago who works for an oil company. This guy was a bit younger and said we would never see 80 dollar, or 60 dollar or 40 dollar oil. His argument was that it costs 70 something to extract what his employer was extracting.

What happens to 80 dollar oil (or any commodity priced at x dollars) when the USD/EUR goes from 1.26 to say 1.05, par or below par?

Last time I bought metals gold was around 800 or so. I don't own any/much currently other than 'collector' stuff.

I hate to say it, because I enjoy the metals trade because it's a no-brained trade, but the trend is still south. The single best investment in a rising rate environment is to retire all debt.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

By Executive Order even!
Precious metals will always be a commodity regardless of it's value as a currency. The thing I like about silver is you can buy it in usable weights and quantities unlike Gold. Your point about carrying around a scale is a good point regarding gold but since silver will probably never have that value per weight, it will be far more practical as a daily commodity and you will always have known weights with silver coin, regardless of the face value as a currency. A 90% silver nickle will be worth more than a 90% silver dime. The market will set the actual value in a SHTF scenario. I don't buy silver for it's currency value or as an investment. I buy it as what I consider will be a viable currency already in usable weights for fair trading and bartering, should that ever be the case. It's also why I have tens of thousands of rounds of ammo and the ability to reload the same.
When the government gets to the point of again, outlawing physical gold or silver, or precious metals all together, I think we're going to have more to worry about than whether or not we're breaking the law by owning it.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you think now is the time to buy, you might want to do a bit of reading on how a strong dollar (or stronger) effects dollar denominated commodity prices. After doing that reading and evaluating our current interest rates, then make a decision.

I spoke to someone about 4 weeks ago who works for an oil company. This guy was a bit younger and said we would never see 80 dollar, or 60 dollar or 40 dollar oil. His argument was that it costs 70 something to extract what his employer was extracting.

What happens to 80 dollar oil (or any commodity priced at x dollars) when the USD/EUR goes from 1.26 to say 1.05, par or below par?

Last time I bought metals gold was around 800 or so. I don't own any/much currently other than 'collector' stuff.

I hate to say it, because I enjoy the metals trade because it's a no-brained trade, but the trend is still south. The single best investment in a rising rate environment is to retire all debt.
One thing I did two years ago was get debt free. The only "debt" I have now is the rent I pay and the typical overhead of food, gas, utilities and taxes. That is a very liberating feeling.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The way i see it Silver and gold are long term investments, $17 is a good deal now, but could go lower, if you look at it like its something to protect you financially then by it and put it away and forget about it.
Really don't see silver as in investment, more just as an alternative commodity should the dollar, or our monetary system, collapse. I don;t see it going too much lower than it is now...couple dollars one way or the other really doesn't matter. Melt price is about $17.xx /oz and you'll pay ~20.00/oz on the open market...little less if you buy quantity. After buying at 50.00/oz, to me this seems like a no brainer to get at least a couple thousand worth.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I purchased some gold locally when it was $136 an oz (paid scrap prices for it) then turned around and sold it to a smelter for $500 an oz when prices began to rise. Personally, I'm not buying now because precious metals (including silver) don't represent a good value for my money anymore.
Strictly as in investment I agree.

1 - 20 of 635 Posts