M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the thread about the NRA Whittington Range located at Raton NM.

Beautiful area in the foothills of the Rockies.

The Philmont Scout Ranch is just a few miles away located in Cimarron NM.

Decided to look Philmont up on the Internet and found some bad news.

Last summer the Scout Ranch lost 27,000 acres to fire.

Philmont covers over 250,000 acres of New Mexico that was donated to the Scouts by Waite Phillips, one of the founders of Phillips Petroleum.

Those of you that have beven there know the dynamics of the place.

Scout troops spend up to ten days backpacking through rugged trails, often carrying everything they need, food, water and shelter with supply camps days apart.

The Scout Ranch needs some help.

https://www.philmontscoutranch.org/

· Retired Admin
I lost all my firearms in the Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
22,969 Posts
We drove by Philmont Scout Ranch on our way to Cimarron, New Mexico a couple of times in the 90's We have not made it back to Eagles Nest, New Mexico.

· Premium Member
22,381 Posts
I really like the drive from Taos ,where my daughter lives,a stop by the Veteran's memorial at Angel Fire is a must. Then on past Cimarron to Whittington.
Met the retired deputy Sheriff from Cimarron at CMP NS during the games while waiting for the store to open. Interesting gent with 28yrs Army then Law enforcement and now onto bigger and better things.

· Retired Admin
I lost all my firearms in the Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
22,969 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: eagle0199 and nf1e

· Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never got to go to Philmont. My summer camps were at El Rancho Cima near Wimberly, TX. I understand that property was sold off recently.
Made it to Philmont twice during the summer and twice during the winter.

I worked as an aquatics instructor, rowing, swimming, canoeing, lifesaving, the summers of 1972 and 1973 at Camp Strake then 1974 and 1975 at El Rancho Cima.

If you made it there when the foot bridge was across the Blanco River, my Dad designed the bridige and over saw its construction.

Even after leaving the Scout program I would make trips with my Dad to Cima to make repairs and adjustments to the suspension bridge.

Both camps have been sold off due to urban encroachment.

· Registered
123 Posts
Great place! Been there twice with my boys, both are Eagle Scouts. One trek was over 130 miles and the other about 125. Both were great experiences in absolutely beautiful country. Was sorry to hear about the fire.

· Registered
4,688 Posts
My nephew, who just made Eagle Scout, completed the 10 day hike at Philmont about a month ago. Our friends two kids were on the same hike route but two days behind.
They were all at the house earlier today to celebrate my older Son's birthday.

With respect to my Nephew, his dad and an old friend of mine were the chaperone parents for their hike. My friend now lives in my old neighborhood where my Sister raised her boys. It's interesting how the generations go by.

Sounded like it's still a Boy Scout property.

· Registered
2,214 Posts
I spent many days out at the Ranch during the prep and shutdown times doing maintenance and repairs on the equipment they had there. I usually stayed at the Kit Carson Motel and used to take my trout catch to the restaurant and they would cook it for me. That was back in '86-'90. I enjoyed working with the Staff out at Philmont , great bunch. Loved the drive up to Eagles Nest on my way to Taos. Spent my Vacations at the Jeep Jamboree up in Red River. Great food at a little joint in Questa IIRC.

· Registered
783 Posts
It has been more than 50 years since my last Philmont trip but I still have a Philmont t shirt and belt at my house even though neither now fits me. I also may still have a local map used on my trail trip but cannot remember if I gave it to another scout for his trip or stored it.

Nelson

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.