·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm gonna give this a try.
Once fired brass (from my rifle)
Sierra 168gr HPBT Match kings
CCI primers

Is there a general concensus for what load works really well in these rifles? I have a SAI Loaded.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
i seen that after i posted. i went back and changed what i typed...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Favorite load out of my Devine M1A is 40.5 of 4895, RA62 military brass with a 168 SMK. Shoots under a dime size group at 100 yds and will put 20 out of 20 into the head of a silhouette at 800 yds with my ART scope. In my friends M1A just 4 digits off of my serial # they open up to the size of a silver dollar. What works well in one gun may not in another.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I know each one will be different....just looking for a solid starting point.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Favorite load out of my Devine M1A is 40.5 of 4895, RA62 military brass with a 168 SMK. Shoots under a dime size group at 100 yds and will put 20 out of 20 into the head of a silhouette at 800 yds with my ART scope. In my friends M1A just 4 digits off of my serial # they open up to the size of a silver dollar. What works well in one gun may not in another.
pics please. which art scope do you have?

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
We are not supposed to give loads as all Rifles are different. You must work up to 41.5 H4895 (or IMR) in an LC case with a BR2 Primer GI2

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Here is a picture. It's an old Art IV from Springfield Armory. I have heard a lot of people criticize them but this one has always turned in excellent service. I have used it from the hottest desert to the tops of mountains covered in snow and never had any problem.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Here is a picture. It's an old Art IV from Springfield Armory. I have heard a lot of people criticize them but this one has always turned in excellent service. I have used it from the hottest desert to the tops of mountains covered in snow and never had any problem.
its the art m1000 that sucks. can you post a pic of the group?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
its the art m1000 that sucks. can you post a pic of the group?
Never took any pictures of any of my groups and usually tossed the targets. I know==No pictures it never happened.
I used to take this rifle (in a regular stock not the camo one) too range fire when we were still using M14's. The two times I did I fired top overall score both times. Since my friend and I were the unit armorers and drove the weapon van it was easy to get our own rifles on the range because we were the two that issued them out. It was a bummer when we switched to M16's. No more using my own rifle. He and I were still the top shooters in the unit. Unfortunately he passed away from ALS two years ago.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Hodgdon 4895 is NOT the same as IMR-4895. Close, but all load books show different loads.

CCI primers: large rifle or #34? I think it makes a significant difference for some powders based on my experience.

I'm not trying to be a turd, but if you are going to provide load data please make it complete. COAL matters a lot too and that's based on more than just my experience.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
We are not supposed to give loads as all Rifles are different. You must work up to 41.5 H4895 (or IMR) in an LC case with a BR2 Primer GI2
Really? Try this link if you can't seem to find a load recommendation.

Reactions: TheShooter

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I love dime sized groups. How many shots is a group?

·
Registered
839 Posts
41.5 gr of IMR4064, LC case and WLR primer. I have also used 40.5 of IMR4064 with great results.

I have used both loads across the course.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
A I use benchmark powder and have found a round seated just barely too deep (. . . .)

Was the difference between just right and overpressure.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
So I'm gonna give this a try.
Once fired brass (from my rifle)
Sierra 168gr HPBT Match kings
CCI primers

Is there a general concensus for what load works really well in these rifles? I have a SAI Loaded.
This is what I have had good luck with:

LC or IVI brass(case capacity can make a huge difference, both of these seem to run around 54grs of Water, other capacities will more than likely have a different optimal charge weight)
CCI BR2 Primer
Hodgdon H4895 41Gr
168 SMK COAL 2.803

·
Registered
689 Posts
40.5 H4895 with 168 smk. LC 65 brass......and works perfect in my M-1A.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
People have been shooting 168s for 40 years it is a well blazed trail. You should have no problems googling your powder type + 168 and finding loads for it that others use.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts