M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
I shoot one in local club matches. Not Highpower or EIC, but we hold a Rifles of the Snow Match each month from Nov-Mar for fun which is only open to military bolt actions. Great shooting rifle, but its because its still in good condition. Not all, or many, still are. Im not particularly fond of the front sight post. Its too thin for my taste and is hard to focus on, but with some care I do alright with it....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Both of mine are usually good for 270 to 280 of 300. I've won some local club matches with them.Lately I tend to shoot my National match Garand or M1A and I must admit Rock RIver or Compass Lake National Match AR15 A2 all of which I consistently shoot in the 280's with.I'm 6'4" and the US 1917 fits me better than any other Service rifle. If the 1917 had a better rear sight(adjustable for windage) it would by go to rifle.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Singleshot, welcome sir! I should add to keep this on topic that a gentleman I shoot with regularly consistently hits 280 ish with his Eddystone in our CMP GSV matches fired at 200 yds. HTH

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I've shot mine at a local ViMBAR (Vintage Military Bolt-Action Rifle) matches. But I get much better scores with my Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55mm. My US Enfield has much better sights and trigger, though, but it just can't keep up with the Swede's accuracy. This is just between my two rifles. I can't speak for them generally.

I need a new stock set, though. My US Enfield's stock has been butchered.

·
Registered
334 Posts
M1917 is a great rifle.

The M1917 is a great rifle, just ask Sgt. York! It has a nice long 26" barrel and sight radius which adds to the accuracy. I use mine in local CMP Garand matches (100yrds) and at Camp Perry for Vintage Rifle Nationals (200yrds). Its accurate and it wins matches!

My experience is that 9/10 of M1917's have barrel pitting due to poor cleaning of corrosive ammo from WWI & WWII. Just because the bore is dark or is pitted doesn't mean its a bad shooters. The barrel lands and grooves are deep on 17's so it might not matter depending on how bad the corrosion is.

There is good news from CMP! Due to the overwhelming success of the Garand and Vintage rifle matches, the CMP now offers newly manufactured Criterion barrels and wood stocks for worn out M1917's! They also offer new barrels and stocks for US Krag rifles too! Its now possible to restore a sporterized or junker 17 (or US Krag) to correct configuration.

I bought a new Criterion barrel for my M1917's and it works, shoots, and matches just like new. They are the exact contour as the originals. The only problem is finding a good Gunsmith to screw the new barrel on.

Unfortunately there is no windage on the M1917. I read somewhere that the USMC took modified M1918 BAR or M1919 sights and put them on the M1917 for windage sights.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I check the CMP frequently for Krag and 1917 stocks. I still don't see them. Your links were just to log in or home pages.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Do you have a source to support that? I always see the US Rifle M1917 listed as eligible for Service Rifle and John C. Garand matches. Like this one, for example: http://www.centraljerseyhighpower.com/hp_events/hp_m1_garand.cfm

What you say doesn't even make sense, as it was most certainly issued in extremely large numbers to US servicemen.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Do you have a source to support that? I always see the US Rifle M1917 listed as eligible for Service Rifle and John C. Garand matches. Like this one, for example: http://www.centraljerseyhighpower.com/hp_events/hp_m1_garand.cfm

What you say doesn't even make sense, as it was most certainly issued in extremely large numbers to US servicemen.
Ok, first let's get rid of the things that don't apply to this thread.

John C Garand Matches: This is the "Service Rifle Matches" forum and John C Garand Matches have nothing to do with NRA (and CMP) Highpower Service Rifle Matches other than sometimes people fire an M1 Garand as an NRA (or CMP) Highpower Service Rifle.

Nothing Is allowed in NRA Highpower Service Rifle Competition unless it's specifically notated as being allowed by NRA Highpower Rule (and the same applies to CMP Rules) . It doesn't matter how many rifles and what kinds were issued. Unless the NRA (and the CMP) allows it, it's not a Service Rifle.

The applicable rules for "Service Rifle" for both NRA and CMP are as follows (shortened for ease of posting):

NRA:
3. Equipment and Ammunition
3.1 Service Rifle-US Rifle, Caliber .30 M1 or caliber 7.62mm M1
3.1.1 Service Rifle-US Rifle, Caliber 7.62mm M-14
3.1.2 Service Rifle-US Rifle, Caliber 5.56mm M16
3.1.3 Service Rifle Any rifle or modified rifle not covered by NRA Rules 3.1, 3.1.1 or 3.1.2, but permitted by CMP Rules are considered service rifles in NRA sanctioned competition (and the CMP only permits the following rifles to be called Service Rifles)

CMP:
6.2 Specific Service Rifle Rules
6.2.1 US Rifle, Caliber .30 M1
6.2.2 US Rifle, Caliber 7.62mm, M14
6.2.3 US Rifle, Caliber 5.56mm, M16

The 1917 and Springfield '03, among some possible others instead fall under other rules, which are not "Service Rifles". That rule is:
6.3 As-issued Military Rifle Rules The following rules apply to all rifles that are used in CMP Sanctioned GAMES Matches for as-issued military rifles.
6.3.3 As-Issued M 1903 Springfield
6.3.4 Other As-Issued U.S. Military Rifles (Caliber .30 U.S. Model 1917 and U.S. Krag)

At least the NRA now allows the M-110 (think that's what the designation is officially) in at least Long Range as a Service Rifle, but I don't have the latest rules that list it. It's basically a 7.62mm AR Variant as issued somewhere by the US. Primarily, it's been used by the US Army Marksmanship Unit when I've seen it fired. I don't know if that's permitted across the course or whether the CMP acknowledges it, but I think not based on the current rules I found that listed the above rifles as CMP Service Rifles.

That all makes perfect sense.

Hope this helps,

Danny

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Okay, that makes sense that we are talking about CURRENT Service Rifles for these matches. Of course, this thread is not about that, so I didn't at first make the connection what you were talking about. Thanks for the supporting facts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts