M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off I hate spending over $1000.00 on anything.... Having said that, the first initial cash I spent to get into my M1A hurt pretty bad...lol. If the item was $999.99 I don't feel too bad but as soon as I get over $1k, I wanna vomit!....

..... So I'm looking at maybe purchasing my first Night Vision rig.... LOL, I think I might actually charge this purchase [think I just threw up in my mouth a little].

Has anybody here used one on the EBR stock? That rail on the back is itching the crap out of me and I think I might scratch it.

I do shoot at night at my land where I have 255 acres and see many coyotes, hogs and bobcats, I lease out some of my land (since it is fenced) to a farmer that keeps some of his cattle out there, his farms overstock. Couple times
A month my friends and I go out and shoot at the predators that lurk there and tear my crap up (my land is 30-40 minutes away from my residence). so I thought I would ask if anybody has any direct experience using night vision on the EBR's rear portion of the stock.

What brand do you think would fit the best?

Is there a EBR specific riser for the NVG body?... Or will any riser fit ok?

Which unit did you use?

Edit....... I want a piggy-back night vision scope, I have either an Acog that I can use or a IOR Valdada 2-12x32 scope that is going to work with the night vision.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I used to have an old Gen 1 Starlight scope for coyote hunting. Was a neat little gadget. Didn't use it on an EBR but it was still funner than %&@!

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
You can get the Gen 1 stuff fairly cheap. It's pretty crude compared to the more recent stuff but it's also 10-15 times cheaper. The prices on the PVS-22 shown above will make you choke for sure (in the $7K range last time I looked). I've got a PVS-14 that cost a little less than half the PVS-22 but still more than most guns I own. It is amazing how well that thing works.

I'm not familiar with the EBR rail. I have mine set up to run behind an EOTech on an AR platform. LaRue tactical makes a mount specifically for that combo that allows you to get by on a standard length flat-top rail and still have room for a BUIS. I'd venture to guess they have a similar setup for the ACOG.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Another option would be to go with a PVS-4, second gen 4 power US military grade scope that you can find for around $1000-1300. Drawbacks are it is heavy, a stand alone scope that would replace your day optic, and not as effective as a 3rd gen. If shooting from a bipod or a stand and using on a night with at least a sliver of moon it would work great. One thing to be aware of is that a PVS-2 weights about 7 lbs and I believe the PVS-4 is around 4 lbs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You may want to attach a IR pointer to the lower rail and then use IR goggles or monocular. It allows you to leave whatever day time optics you have and not have to dedicate the rifle to night time use only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.