M14 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yes sir,been collecting watching for a very long time! Of the ones you have the Doxa is the standout! You might want to look into Stowa watches, they are high quality using Swiss movements and are made in Germany. The company has been in business since 1927, making navigator and pilot watches for the Luftwaffe during WWII.
I have three of their watches and can attest to there being a high quality piece.

This Stowa is a Airman Baumuster B-dial, it is miniature copy of an original navigators watch, it is 40mm where the original would have been 55mm and worn outside the leather jacket sleeve! This one too, has a crystal back to observe the Swiss movement!

REN
I like the style of the airman baumuster. I have an Aeromatic 1912 in the same design, mine also has a 24 hour hand in addition to the second, minute and hour hand and is a 21 jewel self-winding movement. The back is clear like yours so you can see the works. Has a spring which hooks across the stem so the stem doesn't get snagged on things.

I'm not really a watch collector, more of an accumulator. I like wristwatches, and always wear one. I have a Casio chronograph as a beater watch to wear when working where it might get damaged, and save my others for casual wear. I prefer analog to digital, but have an old Casio digital I bought in about 1975. I've never changed the battery, and it still keeps time.

I've got two Seiko chronographs; one I bought when I went into the USAF (the one on the right), wore it for 6 years until I snagged it on a litter stanchion while on a medevac flight, and broke the band. I haven't worn it in about 25 years. The other one gets worn fairly frequently, I swap it between the Aeromatic and the Citizen Eco-Drive navigator's watch that is my preferred one to wear.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm not into spending a lot of money on watches, the priciest being a Bulova Accutron Spaceview I bought in the early 70s, but this $29 UWOOD watch keeps perfect time and I have received COUNTLESS compliments on it. I only wish I had had this when I was single...
UWOOD.jpg

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I'm a fan of citizen eco-drives. Only have 2 watches as of right now. First one is 6 years old and is in for repairs to the band. Stainless with blue face. The band broke right at the bezel but has seen heavy duty action as I work in restaurants. Hot water, chemicals, food, etc. It's survived a lot. It's also a perpetual calendar model and has different modes you can engage as well.

Got a new one that is all dark gunmetal gray, almost black. Contrasting white numbers/letters with a compass bezel that rotates. Not as fancy as the perpetual calendar but it works.

Eco drives never need batteries and maintain accurate time. Only need 15 minutes of sunlight or 3 hours of artificial light everyday to stay charged. Faces glow in the dark with sufficient charge.

So far I'm impressed with the quality and they look good as well.

·
Civilian Non-Combatant
899 Posts
I have owned guns, watches and cameras. The principles of collecting are the same. Rarity and condition rule. Of the three groups of things, watches are the easiest to manage. Relative to guns, no one cares if you have a bunch of watches. While cameras too are unregulated and non-controversial, they are bulky to store and heavy to lug around.

Watches, on the other hand, are compact to store or display, and transport well. I used to belong to the IWCC collectors group. These guys are serious. They value their individual personal reputation for honest dealing and expect the same in return.

As an investment, there are watches that can only go up in value. Think of the investment potential for a rare Luger or a cased set of flint lock duelers . If they are legally owned they will never drop. The same is true for some watches; only they are not regulated and a fortune's worth of watches can fit into a brief case.

So yeah, if you are thinking of watches as a way to satisfy your itch to collect . . .go for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not a collector. I like watches. I have a few casios including a couple of calculators of different kinds. My daily is a Hamilton khaki that I have on a nato because the leather bad wore out. I also have a Seiko 6105 that my dad gave me. It was his diving watch that his dad gave him. It needs some work though and I've been trying for a year to get it to a guy that specializes in Seiko but he's so backed up he won't take it

21 - 28 of 28 Posts