M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting tired of 50+ years of Gun Collecting, and to add insult to injury, my local Range has been Partially Closed since March due to Covid Panic.
So I just started a new Hobby, collecting Swiss Automatic Dive Watches. I had an Omega Seamaster for about 15 years but I gave it to my Son last year.
I started to get interested in Swiss Automatics again recently and have Obtained a few mid Priced pieces.
L to R Armand Nicolet JS-9, Tissot Seastar Powermatic 80, Doxa Sub 200, Steinhart Ocean 44. Hoping to acquire a few more eventually. So does anyone else collect them?? Swiss Divers.jpg

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I love such watches. I dont have any high end stuff but do wear a Steinhart Ocean One with green face. Also have a large Bulova Sea King, all black. Its not auto wind but its super accurate. Also have a few Navy deck clocks on the walls, 2 from Chelsea and one Seth Thomas.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I have a Tag Executive that I paid $1K in 1989, before they merged with Heuer. Not sure of what its worth now.

I also have a few Tag Heuer sports watches. Now with cell phones I no longer wear watches so they just sit in my safes.

I picked up an 18 jewel Waltham pocket watch in the 70's with the lined case that it came in. I think that I paid $100 for that one. It was made around the turn of the 20th century and during the depression people would sell off the higher jeweled movements and replace them with 7 jewels.

Reactions: Herr Trigger

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
Yes sir,been collecting watching for a very long time! Of the ones you have the Doxa is the standout! You might want to look into Stowa watches, they are high quality using Swiss movements and are made in Germany. The company has been in business since 1927, making navigator and pilot watches for the Luftwaffe during WWII.
I have three of their watches and can attest to there being a high quality piece.

This is the Prodiver by Stowa, it is a rock solid divers watch that will depth up to 3000 ft. I have several bezels and straps to change the look.

This is their Marine Original, same watch with different American Alligator bands($400 a piece). Beautiful time piece, notice the crystal back and the beautiful fire blued screws!

This Stowa is a Airman Baumuster B-dial, it is miniature copy of an original navigators watch, it is 40mm where the original would have been 55mm and worn outside the leather jacket sleeve! This one too, has a crystal back to observe the Swiss movement!

REN

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
I have other watches including a Presidential 18 carat Rolex with the 18ct. Jubilee band, and many Seiko watches. My next watch will be an IWC! Oh what a watch it is!!

REN

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have some nice Time Pieces Ren, I'm just getting into collecting. I have heard of Stowa but haven't got around to checking them out yet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you want to mess with millenials and younger, get one of these:

First of all, they probably can't tell time with an analogue watch, but this one will REALLY bake their noodle!
Need to fix the one I have. Mainspring broke.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I'm getting tired of 50+ years of Gun Collecting, and to add insult to injury, my local Range has been Partially Closed since March due to Covid Panic.
So I just started a new Hobby, collecting Swiss Automatic Dive Watches. I had an Omega Seamaster for about 15 years but I gave it to my Son last year.
I started to get interested in Swiss Automatics again recently and have Obtained a few mid Priced pieces.
L to R Armand Nicolet JS-9, Tissot Seastar Powermatic 80, Doxa Sub 200, Steinhart Ocean 44. Hoping to acquire a few more eventually. So does anyone else collect them?? View attachment 431397
For a while I collected old mechanical military watches. Then prices went crazy, so I switched back to something cheaper, pistols.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
If you want to mess with millenials and younger, get one of these:

First of all, they probably can't tell time with an analogue watch, but this one will REALLY bake their noodle!
Need to fix the one I have. Mainspring broke.
Seeing as those run in sidereal time, everybody has some trouble telling time with those.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,644 Posts
I want a "Red Face" Rolex Daytona!
I only have one watch right now, it a cheap Seiko I paid $100 for 15 years ago, I also have a stainless GI watch made by Hamilton but it needs some work, my brother bought it about
IMGP4072.JPG
IMGP4074.JPG
40 years ago

Casey

·
Eye Master
3,825 Posts
LOL, I have 1 Rolex that I bought 35 years ago. I liked the fashion, and I liked that James Bond (by Ian Flemming, before it became a crap commercial ad) wore an Oyster. But I did not like the inaccuracy of a mechanical watch, so I bought an Oysterquartz in the mid-80's. It's been my daily wear for 35 years. I occasionally get accused of it being a fake, because Rolex only made the quartz for a couple of years, so a lot of people do not know about them.

The only watches I ever collected were Swatches, in the early 90's, when they were the rage. I still have a bunch of NIB watches, including a bunch of the first generation automatics, but they are only worth about what they cost 30 years ago, not even keeping up with inflation ..... best deal I ever made was having bought a bunch of them, and I was robbed a few days later. Insurance recognized the collectability and paid me 3x what I bought them for. I was living in Brussels, and my dad was in Cincinnati, which was Swatche's worst market. So stuff was in stock and not selling. So bad that people from Italy would fly to the US for a weekend and buy a boatload, and fly back, and sell on the private market with enough profit to cover the flight. So my dad would do a loop through the mall stores every other week, and let me know what they had. He'd buy a bunch and sit on them till I came to the US on a business trip, and I'd come back with a suitcase full. They were innovative and fun for a few years. Then they just became old.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,171 Posts
I have a 35th anniversary green bezel Rolex Submariner and a bright stainless Versace Landmark watch with black face. That's as far as I got, I found out fine watches are VERY expensive.
m14brian

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
My mom got me a wind up divers watch that had glow in the dark arms. Very cool, but got dropped. I had a casio calculator watch. Loved that it was a calculator, but too small to be useful. I got a mickey mouse watch, but it would get stuck if you left it on the side on the knob. At the moment, my collection is thin.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Always liked watches since my parents bought me a cheap Timex when I was in the 2nd grade. I’ve never had a good one when I got a Swiss made Bulova Accutron in my early 20’s. Got lost when I was in my late 30’s. Ten years ago my wife bought me my dream watch since I was a kid, a Rolex Submariner. It’s the 14060 model( no date). I wear it most days unless I’m fishing or working on cars or construction, a Victoronix army takes it place for those events.
One day I’ll add an Omega Speedy but I’ve got time.

·
Administrator
17,257 Posts
Feb 21, 2013
I have been wearing a Citizen Eco-drive watch for almost two decades now. The first one for just over ten years before I retired it to our safe, where it was still running after five months. It is dead now. The wife and I both wear our watches everyday even when working outside and doing heavy work earth.
Apr 26, 2018
I started wearing a watch back in the mid '60s. The past three decades I have only been wearing Citizen Eco-Drive watches, sun powered, zero batteries to change out. I'm on my 2nd Citizen Eco-Drive watch now. I still have people walking up to me and asking what time it is, in this day and age of cell phones. I'm not going to pull my cell phone out of my pocket to see what time it is, I just look down at my wrist, Boom, Done, Next.
This topic has been around before...
I still wear a Citizen Eco-drive watch every day, as does the wife.

🕘

·
Forum Jester
6,959 Posts
all that ammo money wasted on watches

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,171 Posts
all that ammo money wasted on watches
Once a guy has his survival stash situated, it's good to treat himself right with a couple nice things as a reward for all that hard work he has to do, being armtwisted into supporting those that refuse to work and paying for stuff against our beliefs. it's better than blowing it on strippers! :cool:
m14brian

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
What Ammo. The last time I visited some Ammo Vendors they were Sold out of everything, except BBs.
A wise man however would have learned from previous years of Ammo/Primer Famine, and Stashed away Plenty.
A wise Reloader would have taken advantage of midway's Free Shipping, and acquired enough components of various Cals. to last a lifetime, and then some. LOL

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
A collector? nope, but I've worn and appreciated watches since I was in grade school. My selection is pretty cheap and limited, but I like them all.

Today: A Timex Expedition Chrono with a NATO strap. I use it for physical work and at the range when running a match to keep time on stages. It gets the most use. If I kill it, I'm only out like $85.

others: Bulova 1944 A-11, Waltham ORD DEPT 1943, and a Seiko 5 automatic. Next watch may be a Hamilton khaki King. Don't have a good shot of my ORD, so the pic is from the web

1 - 20 of 28 Posts