M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,080 Posts
I have never seen any like that before.

These are just my thoughts -

I don't think it's a USGI manufacture. The corners on USGI M14 extractors are pretty much sharper cut, the case head rim slot cutout behind the claw is also rough looking on this one, on all of my NOS USGI extractors the cut is sharp and very smooth, the plunger detent also seems rough and on most, but not all of the USGI pieces I have you can see some machining marks in it and the cut is sharper and surface inside smoother. Some of the contours also do not look like USGI pieces I have, just minutely different in a couple areas.
The only "O" marked M14 part I know of is on the bottom side of bolt stops, and those are H & Rs and it looks a little different. I don't believe it is USGI, SAI, or Fulton, that could be a help to it's identity.
m14brian

·
Registered
13,103 Posts
The only "O" marked M14 part I know of is on the bottom side of bolt stops, and those are H & Rs and it looks a little different. I don't believe it is USGI, SAI, or Fulton, that could be a help to it's identity.
m14brian
USGI bolt stops are cast, so the circle might be from a mold or tree. That would also be a possibility with this extractor.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Investment cast wax molds and MIM cavities normally have ejector pins.

Those pins show up as circular depressions of all sizes dependent on the part size.

The classic part for that here is the M14 bolt stop, that circle is the tell tale between

rolled bar stock and cast.

If anybody wants an explanation on "rolled bar stock" I will post it.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Investment cast wax molds and MIM cavities normally have ejector pins.

Those pins show up as circular depressions of all sizes dependent on the part size.

The classic part for that here is the M14 bolt stop, that circle is the tell tale between

rolled bar stock and cast.

If anybody wants an explanation on "rolled bar stock" I will post it.
I don't doubt that it is cast, I just don't think that mark is an ejector pin.

They usually look more like this:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I don't doubt that it is cast, I just don't think that mark is an ejector pin.

They usually look more like this:
I was not referring to the extractor but cast parts in general.

I gave my opinion on the circle in a earlier post.

Just to let you know, I have made plenty of molds for invest cast parts and even more for powder parts.

None for MIM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts