M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had several carbine models over the years.
The one I have now is a 1976 and it feels the best of all my AR's.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I built a repop 604 for my dad for his birthday, does that count as an SP1? GI7

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I had a SP1 from 1981 until 2011, I shot 1000's of rounds out of it and it preformed flawlessly all those years. The only reason that I got rid of it is that the ex wife wanted it to be one of the 12 guns that she wanted, I sold over 100 more, took 40 others and moved West!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I have three or four guns that I really regret having sold in my lifetime. And Colt SP1, serial number 43000 is at the head of that list!!

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Mainzer, mine was in the 63,000 range. The only thing, besides cleaning, that I ever had to do to it was to install new gas rings on the bolt!

Reactions: Mainzer

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I have one serial range 38K made in 74 that I bought a few years back at a local hock shop. They had a price of $1150.00 on it. I offered $800.0 and they jumped all over it. It is a low mileage cherry example of an SP1 and came with a GI mag pouch with two 20 round mags, sling, bayonet and 300 rounds of 55 grain bullets which in my estimation was a decent deal.

I already had an SP-1 clone built on a Sendra (Rock Island Armory) receiver with a Colt USGI M16A-1 upper with pencil barrel and delta handguards. I also have a clone of an XM177 clone built on an Olympic Arms lower using a A-1 Martin Marietta upper built for the M-16 spares program back during the Nam. I used it for a patrol carbine and carried it in the trunk of my Crown Vic for many years. These days, in my estimation I only find retro AR's interesting. But then I've always been an M-14 kind of guy and never really liked the M-16/AR-15.

7th

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I like mine, serial number puts it circa 1982.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for comments and posting pics.
These have always been my favorite AR's simple and clean.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
but how do you get the bolt to close when its dirty?

just kidding...

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I have a clone that was the first AR that I bought back in the late 70's.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Why would anyone want a plain jane rifle like that?? AR's cant shoot straight until they have ALL of the proper stuff on them like lights, IR sensors, multiple optics options and of course those hideous carry handle and fixed front and rear sights must go in the garbage so that several thousand dollars of stuff can be clamped on.

LOL

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Why would anyone want a plain jane rifle like that?? AR's cant shoot straight until they have ALL of the proper stuff on them like lights, IR sensors, multiple optics options and of course those hideous carry handle and fixed front and rear sights must go in the garbage so that several thousand dollars of stuff can be clamped on.

LOL
Don't forget the road wheels, garandguy!GI3

·
Registered
990 Posts
The Colt "Government Carbine" is still the best AR ever built. Around 5 lbs, pencil barrel for great balance, A2 sights, 1/7 twist - everything you need, nothing you don't. If you must have a rail, replace the handguard - plenty of room for a light.

No need for a flattop reciever, adds complexity and weight. With a Trijicon Reflex on the Trijicon drop mount cowitnessed with the irons you never need "backup ironsights" they are always there and built in!

An AR should be a Carbine - quick and light. Need a rifle? Get an M14! CC

Reactions: 1KPerDay

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
That's not a real moderator on the top one, is it? If not, who makes the FH? Rock River?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts