M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everyone, new to the forums and hopefully soon will be a fellow m14 or m1a enthusiast.

First off, I am a huge fan ever since I was in grade school of military arms, and the m14 EBR has always been on my top 3 military guns to own.

With the gun fever at a high temperature (its been years since I have acquired a new firearm) I've decided to start an EBR build.

I have found a used m1a in my area (very slightly used sub 400 rounds) in my area, HOWEVER it is from 1998. My question to anyone who is reading, I am not versed in the history and changes over the years of the m1a (if any) and how it would interface with the EBR chasis. Are there any issues that you guys can think of with an m1a from 1998 with the sage platform? I can already see that the sage m14 stripper clip sight base would be able to attach.

Any feedback would be appreciated and I might have some more questions in the future.

Cheers!

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
The only difference is that an M1A from 1998 will have some USGI parts. The assembly procedures for an EBR are the same.

When Rock Island converts an M14 to an EBR, their goal is a rifle capable of holding 1.5 moa with match ammunition. If the rifle doesn't meet their expectations, they have bins of parts to choose from until it does.

Most of us don't have that option. We have to make do with what we have. This means that any EBR build might need some tweaking of parts to make everything come together properly.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Well, I dont see a problem with it, but..... it depends.

Do you want the look of an EBR? Or the performance of an EBR? Or both?

It's kind of like saying, "I want an SR25.", well, I can buy it from KAC with suppressor for like $15k or something insane, or buy an AR10 and build a form 1 can and get close. Heck, it may even out perform a real one, but it won't be real. Much like PVS-14, believe it or not, many times, what we buy is better than what the military buys.

Fulton sells an "EBR", https://www.fulton-armory.com/fultonarmoryusriflecal762mmm14-1-1-1-1-1-2.aspx

Just to be sure, you want this above, right? I'm not being a jerk, but I've found that some people call any type of "DMR" M14 an EBR. Heres a write up of a cool project somebody did to replicate the famous gun from Black Hawk Down. https://m14forum.com/m14/172973-replicating-sfc-randall-shughart-s-m14.html#/topics/172973. This is an example of what some call an EBR. Personally, I'm not into all that stuff, lol. M21, EBR, all the other military variations, but, just want to make sure your on the right path.

There are many guys on here that have built cool stuff, including replicas of Vietnam rifles and EBR/DMR style rifles, even with the period correct scopes and NV. The Israeli replicas are cool, especially with NV, same with the wooden ones with pistol grips, cant think of the name, lol. Point is, your in the right place for your desires. Guys on here build everything from replicated to legit. Just depends on wallet and patience. Some wait here for legit and real pieces. I dont have that patience, lol. But crazy respect to them from me.

I've always said that while many think the AR15 is the most versatile platform, I disagree, the M14 can be changed from Fudd kind of rifle to straight from the battle fields and custom to whatever you want. They're a cool platform, without doubt.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
My first EBR build used a 1999 vintage SAI Rifle as the base. I changed a few pieces parts before dropping it in because I wanted too.

Your main issue will be if the receiver legs are in-spec... or close enough, SAI's can be all over the place older or newer.

Some of the upgrade parts you should consider for your build:

"Shootingsight.com" trigger set

https://shootingsight.com/product/m14-ebr-trigger-and-hammer-set/

"Sadlak.com" NM Spring Guide and the Tactical mag release

https://www.sadlak.com/m1a-store

"Sageinternationalltd.com" EBR DETACHABLE CANTILEVERED SIGHT BASE

http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/SIL/M14DCSB.html

Attachments

Reactions: nf1e

·
Registered
43 Posts
my feeling is as long as you can reverse what you do back to original, go for it. I think of those sporterized M1 garands and 1903's that you cannot give away but wold have increased in value if left original or in condition where they could have been returned to original. I left my M1A alone and put together an AR10 for a lot less than the rock island conversion, but then that isn't an M-14 action...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definitely want the M14 EBR hehe, I know I'm not mistaking it for another DMR type weapon. That being said, this will just be a range toy and maybe used for hunting. From what it sounds like you guys are telling me, the 1998 will work with the SAGE chassis, maybe some modifications will be needed. As I'm not a gunsmith, part of me wants to build it once I get all the parts in, but another part of me wants it to be built exactly the way it should so I might hire a gunsmith I know to do it for me.

For now I got the information I needed from you guys, thanks so much. I might ask some more questions in the future but in that case I will make a new thread. I will update this thread with the progress of my EBR build. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
geeck, thanks for the reply and thats exactly what I'm going for, thanks for the tips on the upgrades, probably will be picking those up in the future. What and where did you get your flashhider?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
geeck, thanks for the reply and thats exactly what I'm going for, thanks for the tips on the upgrades, probably will be picking those up in the future. What and where did you get your flashhider?
That's a SEI "Smith Enterprise" Vortex Flash Hider in the picture, and since you lose the front sight with the vortex. It also sports a SEI GLFS-H USN gas lock front sight. Those were both purchased before Smith got sue happy. I'd really like to get the Socom Flash Hider but I'm still avoiding SEI. http://www.smithenterprise.com/products03.01.html

Reactions: nf1e

·
Registered
316 Posts
That's a SEI "Smith Enterprise" Vortex Flash Hider in the picture, and since you lose the front sight with the vortex. It also sports a SEI GLFS-H USN gas lock front sight. Those were both purchased before Smith got sue happy. I'd really like to get the Socom Flash Hider but I'm still avoiding SEI. http://www.smithenterprise.com/products03.01.html
So your avoiding SEI because he chose to protect his intellectual property?

You don't lose a front sight with the vortex.

If he didn't get "sue happy" we'd have more crap like this.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
So your avoiding SEI because he chose to protect his intellectual property?

You don't lose a front sight with the vortex.
M14 Direct Connect (DC) Vortex Flash Eliminator
Issue item to US Armed Forces. Requires Gas Lock Front Sight (GLFS). Facilitates use of SEI M14DC Sound Suppressor.

Attachments

Reactions: TheShooter and nf1e

·
Registered
747 Posts
I definitely want the M14 EBR hehe, I know I'm not mistaking it for another DMR type weapon. That being said, this will just be a range toy and maybe used for hunting. From what it sounds like you guys are telling me, the 1998 will work with the SAGE chassis, maybe some modifications will be needed. As I'm not a gunsmith, part of me wants to build it once I get all the parts in, but another part of me wants it to be built exactly the way it should so I might hire a gunsmith I know to do it for me.

For now I got the information I needed from you guys, thanks so much. I might ask some more questions in the future but in that case I will make a new thread. I will update this thread with the progress of my EBR build. Thanks everyone!
Check out my thread here before you start. https://m14forum.com/modern-m14/504676-transformation-bula-m14-ebr-ri.html
Scout

1 - 14 of 14 Posts