M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a few buddies that live in southern Maine, and they really seem to like it. My question is more about the western and northern portion of the state. How do they feel about freedom up that way? I want to start planning for retirement, I just paid off my house NC (don’t really plan on living there forever) and all my kids will be out of the house within the next 5 years. I’m not set on any location just asking to see what experiences people have.

I’ve spent my entire life so far sweating my nuts off, grew up in Florida and my job continues to send me to super hot places, I’m tried of being hot. Turns out I love some cold weather. Patrolling in single digit temps really agrees with me, my wife well I guess I will find out.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
My question is more about the western and northern portion of the state. How do they feel about freedom up that way?
I don't know much about Maine except the summers are quite nice and the average population density in Maine is the lowest of any state east of the Mississippi river. Here's a map from 2010 that shows the population density - which is pretty interesting. There are simply not many people in the western and northern part of that state, most folks live in the south-west corner of Maine:
...my observation is even 'progressive' states like Maine and Vermont which have very low population densities, have less gun controls laws and of course more hunting opportunities, given their rural geography. (I suspect deer might outnumber people in certain rural places in Vermont's mountains). Once you go south and get into the higher population densities in the NE, the laws begin to change quite a lot (high density states like MA and NY stand out). My wife and I go to Vermont pretty often (she has cousins up there), and she really likes that area. We keep talking about trying a summer vacation in Maine, but haven't yet done that. Winters in Maine are of course a different thing...

Not sure if that helps, but good luck what ever you decide.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
My feet start burning if I spend to much time on the other side of the Mason Dixon line....😁🤣

I could have lived in Colorado Springs and looked at properties last time I was there but that was before the wokadiles took over. I could think about Montana though for now.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Montana would be great. I loved that place, but like Idaho, there sure were a lot of California plates driving around. I think the sickness is spreading east.
There's enough space in Montana to never see your neighbors 🤣😁🥳

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Backwoods Mainers generally do as they please regardless of the law. They don’t like people telling them what to do. Lots of progressives in the cities though. Beautiful, beautiful coastline.

Reactions: spsosicmcise

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the coast doesn’t really interest me, nor do people in most cities. The backwoods folks sound like my kind of people. I’m trying to find a place where I can do what I please without a bunch of Karen neighbors, and a location that allows me some maneuver space.
Forehead Face Nose Hair Cheek

I’m not after a whole lot of human interaction. Thanks for the insight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts