M14 Forum banner

Any good 147gr loads?

5822 7
Hey all- I tried searching this, but I keep coming up with 147gr surplus ammunition. I just ordered 500 pulled 147gr M80 bullets (USGI). I'll be using Lake City brass and I have H4895, Varget, RL-15 all on my reloading bench as we speak. Anybody have some good loads with these components for the rifle I just bought (GI bbl Springer)? Thanks!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
42.0 grains of H-4895 works well with military Lake City cases and 43.0 grains with commercial Winchester cases. This is with lead core 147 M-80 type bullets and not with Surplus Russian steel core 147 grain bullets that have been resized to 0.308". When buying surplus bullets make sure the bullet length is similar to USGI M-80 bullet length. The resized (and non-resized) Russian bullets are longer.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John! These are USGI pull-down M80's, not Russian. So, I'll give your load a try.
Thanks again for the load data.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Both H4895 and IMR4895 work well with the M80 bullets (personally, I use IMR4895.)

If you have access to the latest Hornady reloading manual, there is a specific section for M1a service rifle loads for most of the popular powders, including your 3. They don't have a generic listing for the 145-150grn M80-type FMJ bullet, just the Hornady 155grn, but it gives you some data to work with for starting loads.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for grins, see if those bullets will "stick" to a magnet.

Quite a bit of USGI M80 ball was made with steel jacketed bullets.
Good call! They are drawn to a magnet, so I guess they are copper plated steel? Any issues with accelerated wear using these steel-jacketed M80's?
I loaded up 20 rounds tonight with 42.5gr of H4895 in Win cases. I'll try them out next weekend with my new rifle. I also have 20 rds of Hornady 168's loaded up with 41.5gr of H4895 in Win cases as well. I'm guessing the 168's are going to be the more accurate, but unfortunately also the more expensive. I see me plinking a lot more rounds with the 147's...

·
Registered
221 Posts
No "issues" with the US M80 soft steel and plated jacketed bullets. They were common issue for the M14. Suggest you start with 42 gr H4895 in the LC cases and work up in 1/2 gr increment under the 147 M80 bullet until you get to 2730 - 2770 fps average using a chronograph. That will give you an M80 equivelent using your componants and will be below the "max" load listed in most manuals for 150 gr bullets. I've done this with various flavors of 4895 over the last 35+ years and have always had excellent results, or at least as "excellent" as with any M80 loads.

Larry Gibson

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.