M14 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright gents, Bought my first SOCOM II. I wanted the SOCOM 16 because the cluster rail is just rediculous. All I could get my hands on due to the panic buying was the SOCOM II for a whoppin 1800$ ( I would have paid 2000$ to ensure I got my baby). So far here is the list of parts/upgrades I have purchased and intend to do:

1.)Sadlak NM Op Rod Spring Guide
2.)Sadlak NM Tin/Polished Gas Piston
3.) Tubbs Op Rod Spring
4.) SEI Gas Lock and Compensator
5.) SEI NM Front Sight
6.) Standard Rear Sight Aperature
7.) Shim Set to tighten up the Gas Lock
8.) Ultimak M8 Rail ( The cluster rail will be up for sale cheap i have no use for it.)
9.) Fred's USGI Fiberglass stock (being sent off to lakota industries for a multicam job)

All of these parts are already purchased, I got lucky and the wife said do what you need to do to it in order to have exactly what you want. Any other suggestions on what I need to put in this bad lad to get her shooting the best she can? Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a very simular setup, minus extended rail...
interested in selling your stock rail to a good home, cheapish?

<3

·
Registered
30 Posts
AMEGA makes a rail unit very similar to the ULTIMAK M8, but the AMEGA allows you to add on small side rails for lights & similar things. IIRC, it's the exact same rail that's sold by Fulton as their "Super Scout Rail". I'm trying to decide exactly which way I want my SOCOM II to be set up, so I've been looking over the same issues. BTW, I think Brownell's has the AMEGA for just a few buck more than the M8. Before I decide which rail to go with, I need to weigh the Vltor rail that omes with SOCOM II. If it's the same as either of the other 2 rails, I may just use it for now. Good luck with your build.

Best, dpast32

·
Registered
600 Posts
You have a nice setup. Since your old lady gave you the ok stock up on mags and ammo until she is not ok.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Looks like you have touched on all the typical upgrades one would do. With a green light from the war dept. any intentions on putting an optic ie; aimpoint/eotech on it? or are you gonna run it with irons?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha I know 1800$ is retail but its still a big hit! E-5/SGT pay isn't all that much!

I have an EOTech xps2. Im thinking of selling it to get something I can cowitness the sights with. I might just slap it on the wifes new stag AR

As far as stocking up on mags and ammo, Ive put orders in for mags, none of been shipped so I am hoping they do end up coming through. I dont want to buy any junk mags. Ammo is through the roof with the demand right now as well. Im probably going to buy 1000 rounds of lake city and then begin reloading after i "harvest the brass"

Davewins; Im definitely willing to let the stock rail go cheap to a good home, Ive learned so much from all the guys here I dont mind giving back to the community. PM me and we can hammer out the details.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AMEGA makes a rail unit very similar to the ULTIMAK M8, but the AMEGA allows you to add on small side rails for lights & similar things. IIRC, it's the exact same rail that's sold by Fulton as their "Super Scout Rail". I'm trying to decide exactly which way I want my SOCOM II to be set up, so I've been looking over the same issues. BTW, I think Brownell's has the AMEGA for just a few buck more than the M8. Before I decide which rail to go with, I need to weigh the Vltor rail that omes with SOCOM II. If it's the same as either of the other 2 rails, I may just use it for now. Good luck with your build.

Best, dpast32
Dpast, the ultimak rail is definitely much lighter than the entire cluster rail system, probably equal or not much of a difference if you take the bottom half off. My socom is going to be a 0-300m battle rifle so the ultimak is great on it. I chose it due to it being marketed as the lowest rail handguard out there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The only accessory that I've bought for my SOCOM 16 is ammo. It has just over 1500 rounds through it, but I'm hoarding instead of shooting, so that has slowed down. I have a GI bolt and trigger group from a CMP kit, and a couple op-rod springs from Brownell's.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only accessory that I've bought for my SOCOM 16 is ammo. It has just over 1500 rounds through it, but I'm hoarding instead of shooting, so that has slowed down. I have a GI bolt and trigger group from a CMP kit, and a couple op-rod springs from Brownell's.
Is the trigger group and bolt going to effect the accuracy very much? I had considered a match trigger group. I had also contemplated having fulton armory re-barrel the reciever with one of their chrome lined barrels. its another 350$ though and ive already got about 2400$ into the rifle.

Does anybody use the recoil buffers for the op spring? Do they create cycling issues? its only a couple bucks so i figured id buy a couple to help keep her around longer.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Does anybody use the recoil buffers for the op spring? Do they create cycling issues? its only a couple bucks so i figured id buy a couple to help keep her around longer.
I have used a Buffer Technologies recoil buffer ever since I got my Socom 16.
I have over 4000 rounds through the rifle without any issues. Even with some light loads when working on reloads.
I have changed them out every 2000 rounds, so I'm on my third one.

Glenn

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright definitely going with the recoil buffer then. Thanks Glenn.

Thanks everybody, when I get home from Afghanistan I am going to test fire the rifle and do the upgrades one at a time in the same day so that I can let everybody know how they affected the rifles performance. Also when i get home I will sell off the stock cluster rail for cheap(150$-200$).

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
You really have it covered with the first three on your list and they're not necessary......just nice to do. The Tubb spring should not need replaced, the guide will smooth things up from the get go and the piston will keep running free longer than the standard one before you need to clean the gas system. You really NEED mags and ammo. My advise is always the same: you need one more mag than you have and one more round of ammo than you have. High stress usage parts are good for you parts drawer but the mags and ammo come first and at this particular point in history they'll be challenge enough.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You really have it covered with the first three on your list and they're not necessary......just nice to do. The Tubb spring should not need replaced, the guide will smooth things up from the get go and the piston will keep running free longer than the standard one before you need to clean the gas system. You really NEED mags and ammo. My advise is always the same: you need one more mag than you have and one more round of ammo than you have. High stress usage parts are good for you parts drawer but the mags and ammo come first and at this particular point in history they'll be challenge enough.
Tell me about it Wayne! I've ordered a total of ten 20 rd CMI mags, but theyre back ordered everywhere. I have also ordered two 25 round CMI mags. Ive hit up dillon precision as well as a couple places I was told by people on here still had some. Im reluctant to keep ordering them while I havent had a single one ship yet.

As far as the ammo goes im hoping the demand will die down a bit by june, thats when I am due to redeploy state side. If not ill just grab as much M80 beltfed that I can from the next range and separate the tracers out! The soldiers always leave a couple hundred rounds in the bradleys after gunnery haha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts