M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up this 4" Colt Python on my birthday last week. After shooting my father-in-laws several years back I've been wanting one. I still have not taken it to the range but hope to in the next couple of days. It's a '79 and appears to have been fired very little. Timing is dead on and the action feels as smooth as glass. Any Python owners out there? I'd love to see what you have and what your experiences have been. I'll start... Story to come. DI2

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have one. It is a 1977 build, blue with 6" barrel. owned it for a year now.

Looks to be in comparable shape to yours maybe a little more wear on mine and I have the usual factory grips.

My rear sight sits a little crooked and I cannot quite figure out why. It also seems to "spit" alot when shooting full power .357 loads. This is my first .357 so I am not sure if this is normal, but I don't think it is. Shoots .38's fine. Very accurate.

I am currently casting my own bullets for it now, but have not had a chance to finish any yet or shoot them for that matter. I think most will just be mild .38's, but will definatly do some .357 loads.

Lusted for one for as long as I can remember. Paid $850 for it. Sorry no pics.

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
My 6" Python is about the same vintage as yours and it's still my favorite target pistol. I prefer the longer barrel for rapid fire but the 4" is more popular. I shot mine last year and my three-man team team won the state commandant's shoot. I was shooting Winchester .38 Specials. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
182 Posts
very nice. I don't have one myself but I hope to swindle my fathers from him when he retires, which has been his service pistol on for the sheriffs dept. for the the past couple decades.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I own two of them. The four-incher was built in 1973, and the six-incher was built in 1978. I got the six-incher in early 1979, and I bought the four-incher a couple of years ago.

The four-incher was recently sent back to Colt for a complete refinish and rebuild. It'll be refinished to the original Royal Blue. The trigger was also stacking a bit too much, and Colt will remedy that, also. They estimated five-to-twenty weeks in the shop.

The six-incher has over 3k rounds through it, and I recently had the timing checked. It was still perfect.

I've fired many Pythons, and I'm always amazed at the action.

You may want to shop around for some original stocks for yours. The ones on it are not original. Just be prepared to pay a huge chunk of change for a set of 3rd generation stocks. I keep the originals for mine put up, except for "dress up". Right after I got mine, I put a set of Herrett's Shooting Masters on it, and custom fit them myself. They're the most comfortable grips I've ever had. It's a shame they're not made any more.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have 3, a late 70's 6 in blue, a 4 in in nickle and a 86/87 6 in in stainless, I love them all, my father has 4 three of which were his service revolvers two of his 6in blue are 60's I think his 4 in may also be a late 60's or early 70's and his 6 in stainless is 1 number off from mine. He carried a Python from day one with the CHP in 68 till the Dept. switched to semis and issued everyone a 4006 in 92. If he could have gotten away with it he probally would have carried his Python till he retired in 04. I havd not had any problems with mine, they shoot great, triggers are smooth and they are accurate and well balanced. I would have the main spring replaced, but thats about it.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Python's the Holy Grail of .357's. Old gunsmith who knows Colt revolvers inside-out told me the lockwork is the same as a Detective Special, which is why it's so smooth.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a blued 6" that I picked up at a gunshow a few months back. Action is like butter. I've put around 200 rds through it and have had a few miss fires. Think I need to send it off to a competent Smith to give it a once over.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Wanted a Python for the longest of time , but the funds were never in my pocket when a nice one presented itself. That changed about 20yrs ago , when I found this one , made the same year I was born , at a gun show. Still wearing it's mint original grips. And though most gunshow salesmans stories are BS , this was from a noted Colt collector , I have no doubt this gun was fired only a few hundred times with mild .38s. The stock Python grip would probably fit my foot better than my hand , so mine now wears a Hogue Monogrip.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I have one. It is a 1977 build, blue with 6" barrel. owned it for a year now.

Looks to be in comparable shape to yours maybe a little more wear on mine and I have the usual factory grips.

My rear sight sits a little crooked and I cannot quite figure out why. It also seems to "spit" alot when shooting full power .357 loads. This is my first .357 so I am not sure if this is normal, but I don't think it is. Shoots .38's fine. Very accurate.

I am currently casting my own bullets for it now, but have not had a chance to finish any yet or shoot them for that matter. I think most will just be mild .38's, but will definatly do some .357 loads.

Lusted for one for as long as I can remember. Paid $850 for it. Sorry no pics.
Sounds as if somebody rebarreled it, and twisted the receiver.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

Unfortunately, can't say I own one. Really wanted to since I shot a friends in the late '70s (also shot his Anaconda which is also on my dream list), but either didn't have the $ or come across the right one. So, if the opportunity presents itself, I have a few questions.

What years was it in production? Anything specific to look for when checking one out? Are they really as complex to work on as I hear? What is a reasonable price range to look for in very good condition? Any particular issues known to exist?

Thanks much and perhaps someday I'll get to join the snake club.

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Greetings,

Unfortunately, can't say I own one. Really wanted to since I shot a friends in the late '70s (also shot his Anaconda which is also on my dream list), but either didn't have the $ or come across the right one. So, if the opportunity presents itself, I have a few questions.

What years was it in production? Anything specific to look for when checking one out? Are they really as complex to work on as I hear? What is a reasonable price range to look for in very good condition? Any particular issues known to exist?

Thanks much and perhaps someday I'll get to join the snake club.

Regards, Jim
The Python was produced from about 1955, until 2005, when it was discontinued.

The Pythons have actions which are like no other revolver. They don't "drop into battery" as the S&W's do. They continually "stack" until the hammer falls. This splits folks into two separate camps.

All Pythons had a lot of hand fitting at the factory. That's the thing that made them so popular. The action tends to be glass smooth.

Timing is the biggest issue. Because of the fine lock work, they tend to get out of time a bit easier than do S&W's, or even other Colts. Lead spitting is the first sign.

The finiish on the Python is the best in the industry. No other revolver, with the exception of the Korth, has metal work so finely finished. The Royal Blue looks to be a mile deep in luster, and the nickel finishes are fantastic.

Look for timing, and insure it's spot on. There are also very few competent gunsmiths who can work on them. If repairs are needed, they should be sent to Colt.

A shooter grade will generally run about $1000. And they go up from there very quickly. Be cautious of anyone who says the revolver is new in box. There are a ton of forged boxes out there, as well as Asian-made stocks, which are copies of originals. These are used to make the revolver seem new.

There are also Pythons reputed to be in .41 Magnum. Those are all fakes. Colt never shipped a Python in .41 Magnum. There are some which were purported to be made up in the factory, but the few examples are probably locked away in safes somewhere. You should also beware of any three inch barreled Pythons. There were few of them made, and most encountered now are fakes.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Back in the day it was always for "Automatics" go Colt, 1911's, for "Wheel Guns" go S&W...

However I did have 3 Colt Pythons.
One was a 6" that was tuned by Reves Junkind, a member of the Texas Highway Patrol that was THE Wizzard for tuning the actions of a Python.
I used this gun for shooting the Service Pistol Matches in NRA PPC.

I had a second 6" from the Colt Custom Shop as a spare..

I also had a 4" as a shooter/fun gun.

Back in the Day the Colt Pythons had the best, most accurate barrels of ANY 38/357 Mag.
I did like the Pythons...

However I have never been a 357 Mag kind of guy...

I am a 44 Mag Kind of guy. I think Colt made a mistake, [one of MANY they have made over the years], by not making a Python in 44 Mag.

Still even today, a Colt Python is very "cool".

The Diamondback's are pretty "cool" as well.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
...I am a 44 Mag Kind of guy. I think Colt made a mistake, [one of MANY they have made over the years], by not making a Python in 44 Mag.
I often wondered that, also. However, I believe that a Python-type action just wouldn't hold up to the pounding of the .44 Magnum.

I like my S&W 29's and 629, but I believe the Colt Anaconda is a beefier revolver, and the Ruger Redhawks (and Super) even superior to the Anaconda.

But, oh, to dream!! That would be one fine revolver!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I finally got my new Python to range today and ran about 50 rounds through it. Very impressed by it's accuracy. the first 3 rounds (single action) were touching. Double action accuracy varied but was still impressive non-the less. It totally blows any other revolver I own out of the water.

I'm thinking I want to find a 6 inch model. I have a feeling these are going to be just as addictive as my M1's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bob, that is a very nice revolver. Do you mind my asking what you paid for it? I walked into a pawnshop last week and bought a 4" blue python myself. As best I can figure it was made in 1978. It looks unfired, or if it was fired it was not fired very much. It has what I believe is the original box. The box is tattered and repaired with scotch tape. But the serial # on the box matches the gun. The dealer wanted $1100.00, but I got him down to $900.00. I believe it is all original. I have dealt with this pawnshop before, he does not have a large selection of guns. He says the guy he bought it from claimed to be the original owner and needed money. I have a 6" blue python that I have shot. It is not in as nice condition as the 4" one. I am debating if I should shoot the 4" or not. I am more of a S&W guy. But this gun was so pretty, I could not walk away.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.